Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Sugarbush opened a month before Mad River and is a little higher in elevation.

Yesterday was like spring skiing. There was still plenty of snow on what natural snow trails. Even did the natural half-pipe without a problem.

The rain is already gone but north lynx in on windhold.
    SB opened earlier than MRG, but I am pretty sure neither place waited until they were open to start counting snow accumulations -- so I doubt that explains it.

Stark Mountain is slightly shorter than the SB peaks, but not significantly enough to account for a gross disparity in snowfall.

I think they do count snowfall by season.

We start counting snowfall around November 1st when our snowmaking begins. I am not sure when MRG starts.

We did get a lot of rain last night, but the mountain held up better than I feared. All of the trails where we have made snow are in good shape. We kept the groomers off them last night with the exception of Pushover to let the moisture drain out of the snow and will only start grooming with the second shift tonight to get as much moisture out of the snow as possible before we put machines on the mountain. Therefore, we will have fewer groomed trails that normal tomorrow but the temperatures are going to be in the 30s so the snow should be soft as least mid-mountain down. We will probably open with about 80 trails and after Patrol does their check, I suspect more with open. We will make snow tonight on part of Upper Jester and Upper Organgrinder at LP and on Upper Rim Run, Panorama and Looking Good at ME, That is probably as far down as we can get with the forecasted temperatures. Tomorrow will be a heavy grooming plan.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Think cold and snow!

Nrx is running. Thankfully.

I think I jinxed it. Around 1pm the small motor that cools the main motor blew a fuse. It looks like the motor will have to be replaced. Trying to find one now. It is a quick fix once we find a new motor. Hopefully, we can find one today.

We found a motor and going to pick it up now. It will get installed tonight or early in the AM with goal of having it open on time tomorrow.

Win
    The entire mountain operations crews should be commended because the skiing this morning was great.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Thank you, Stan. They are frustrated with the weather but really trying to do the best they can. I road in a groomer last night up to ALLYN'S and was impressed with the snow depth on trails like Downspout. Last night's rain was more than the forecast so we are keeping the natural terrain closed today to try to keep as much as possible. We lost the snowpack on the SB roads so we can't run that until we get more snow. At least temps for snowmaking starting this afternoon look really good for several days. Motor on NRG in being installed as of this post 9:16 am.

Win, just wanted to toss this out here. I have a mount Ellen plus pass and Friday night I made plans to ski south based upon the snow report that stated NRX was still down and we were able to ski south. When I got off my first ride up bravo I got your email about NRX being open and MT Ellen pass holders needed to be at north. None of the lifties scanning tickets could tell us if we were using one of our 5 days. I emailed this morning and your great customer service staff confirmed I was charged a day and credited it back.

Given the late notice of NRX being open it would be nice if you credited everyone back the day. Not sure it's many people but it would be great if they don't all have to email to get the credit. On a related note, I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be great to get the first snow report of the day up by 6:30 when I head out from Burlington. Sometimes they are updated but often I don't see them until I'm already onsite.

Thanks for coming back here this year and providing real time updates. Also thanks for all the upgrades this year, hopefully NRX will get the kinks worked out soon. I know that lift was a mess of different parts from different manufacturers and it needed the work.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. You were the second that brought this to our attention and your idea of crediting the ME Plus people who skied here the other day is a good one. I should have thought of it myself. Many thanks.

We do try to get the snow report out early but it is tough to get it by 6:30am. We do try to have it out before 7am. The motor that cools the pain motor is totally new so that should last for years. All the parts are now Dopplemayr, so that will be a huge improvement.

Win

Soooo, where are the snow guns? Only enough for 2 runs on LP?
    Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is North Ridge chair going to be closed all day today? I thought that the updates would at least be done after the holidays??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand Sunrise and Sleeper for additional terrain off GH and NL, but only two trails? I would hope with all the marketing of new towers they would be in resurface mode and putting down 4-6" on a trail and moving to the next. 4-6" of dry snow....Lower Snowball/Racers Edge could use some love. Fling is starting to look like Downspout. Mtn Ops been dealt a tough hand this week, lots of Tums and Pepto being consumed I'm sure.

As the temps come down we are moving down the mountain and will use the maximum water we can. Focused on Sunrise and Sleeper and with use any extra water available in that area when temps are low enough. NR is scheduled to open. Hopefully soon. They is a circuit fault on the emergency brake they are chasing down. There are likely to be some bugs like this for a bit will the new electronics that were installed.

NRX opened. We identified that there was irregular voltage getting to the drive. Having Dopplemayr back first thing the AM to check and make sure it is corrected properly.