Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Eating lunch @ CRP... Tried to open up with My Ellen this am, but. GMX was not running so I headed back to Lincoln.. I understand that GMX was frozen.. I decided not to wait for the blow dryers to do their thing.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Yes, icing caused about a two hour delay in getting GMX open. We will be looking next summer at some more cams on the mountain. Didn't get to it this year.

Where was everybody this weekend?
    Felt like old times.
    Got in plenty of woods before the xmas eve rinsing.

Skiing was great over at Ellen yesterday. We did a few runs on North Linx and then headed over. Looks like our timing was pretty good. Coverage and conditions at ME were mid winter. We did multiple runs on Black Diamond, Bravo, Exterinator, Cliffs and Encore. I had Brand new skis and came out with not a scratch on the base. Now that is my definition of Mid season conditions.

Skiing today. Looks to be no one here. It will be nice to get one more day before the onslaught. Headed home for 72 hours of Chistmas and then back up!

I just hope that the mountain plans to be very aggressive with the recovery plan. I don't know what is up with Christmas and new years in NE. Someone must have really pissed off the higher powers. Does anybody know the last winter when we didn't get a warm up and R*#@???? Some of you old timers must know.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

While there was an epic thaw pre-Christmas last year, the actual holiday period had a snow storm with a second one following on Jan 2nd. If you're question is when was the last time there were mid winter conditions with no rain over the entire holiday period then someone else will need to answer because my guess is that is something that happens once a generation.

the xmas new years week is notoriously bad. we actually had been lucky before last season. IIRC '10, '11 and '12 we had good conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Skiing was great over at Ellen yesterday. We did a few runs on North Linx and then headed over. Looks like our timing was pretty good. Coverage and conditions at ME were mid winter. We did multiple runs on Black Diamond, Bravo, Exterinator, Cliffs and Encore. I had Brand new skis and came out with not a scratch on the base. Now that is my definition of Mid season conditions.

Skiing today. Looks to be no one here. It will be nice to get one more day before the onslaught. Headed home for 72 hours of Chistmas and then back up!

I just hope that the mountain plans to be very aggressive with the recovery plan. I don't know what is up with Christmas and new years in NE. Someone must have really pissed off the higher powers. Does anybody know the last winter when we didn't get a warm up and R*#@???? Some of you old timers must know.
    the temperatures after the r%^&*n don't look all that great for snowmaking.

Hopefully it will stay soft and not hard freeze. What a weekend, no crowds, ski right onto CR chair.

Last weekend was busier that this weekend normally is but with the mountain open 100% everyone was spread out. We got a surprise 3" last night so skiing this morning was really nice and it is a bit colder than forecasted. Looks like rain begins tonight with the heaviest tomorrow night. Fog and wind won't help. It begins to cool down slowly on Friday, so the wet may get better absorbed. There won't be great snowmaking temps for a few days but we are hoping the base we have will hold up well enough to groom things out starting Thursday night or Friday. Once temps return we will see where to prioritize snowmaking at both LP and ME. I am hoping we can finish Sleeper and Snowball and Racers Edge and Stein's without having to go back and replenish a lot of trails. But we will see. At ME we want to finish the Park and Which Way and get to Cliffs and hopefully not have to back track too much.

Two Christmases ago was the year of the Moose and we had great skiing until the very end of the month as I remember.

What's the story with GMX? I see it was delayed opening, then closed today. Not sending the right message after last year's Christmas debacle.
    No GMX and no North Ridge = No summit access at Mt Ellen

"Eye On The Sky: Looking back through the records at the Fairbanks Museum, it has rained or snowed on 67 of the past 120 Christmases, but snowed on only 31 of them. So there is some type of rain or snow on half the Christmases, and just rain about 25 percent of our Christmases. Not uncommon, it would appear.
    -Mark"

My family is coming up Sunday for the week, I am curious how well the snowpack held up? I'm guessing not well since the snow report yesterday said 100% open today and it is really 67 trails. Also, is there any update on Northridge? Is this really going to be 2 years in a row with the best lift at North not running over xmas week?

I didn't like the tone of my last post. I am still super pumped to come up to the Valley again and 70 or so trails is still better than many Xmas weeks, especially after this rain. However, I am very disappointed I am spending another year discussing the lifts over xmas ham.
    Last edited by The Poacher; 12-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Merry Christmas day to everyone!

Does anyone have any theories on the following discrepancy: SB is reporting a season total of 80" and MRG is reporting less than 60"? I have a very hard time believing that a difference of over 20" could be real. Anyone with any historical sense for systematic over/undercounting snowfall?

Sugarbush opened a month before Mad River and is a little higher in elevation.

Yesterday was like spring skiing. There was still plenty of snow on what natural snow trails. Even did the natural half-pipe without a problem.

The rain is already gone but north lynx in on windhold.