Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Early Ups - signs of the skipocalypse

The latest installment of the Strattonization of Sugarbush can be nothing but bad juju for the resort. Making the best skiing available only to those who are willing and able to pay the $500 up charge violates the soul of skiing to the extent that I'm counting on a snowless winter. Goodbye powder mornings for the unwashed. I expect further lift failures and bursting water pipes for the snowmaking systems (which shouldn't be an issue since it'll be 50 all winter) . I wouldn't even discount an Ebola outbreak. There's no way something of this magnitude can go unpunished by the Ski Gods. It's that wrong. It makes me sick.

C'mon, aren't we better than this? "Be better here" , right?

I've always been able to see Summit Venture's side iof the "issues" in the community up to now. But this really is bad. I hate to inject politics but this is emblematic of the larger issues in the country. Everyone has been equal on the hill...until now. I can't believe that the staff at Sugarbush doesn't under stand the crappy optics here....It is as bad as the BOD of Market Basket...It is mean.

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock View Post
    I've always been able to see Summit Venture's side iof the "issues" in the community up to now. But this really is bad. I hate to inject politics but this is emblematic of the larger issues in the country. Everyone has been equal on the hill...until now. I can't believe that the staff at Sugarbush doesn't under stand the crappy optics here....It is as bad as the BOD of Market Basket...It is mean.
    There have been claybrookers getting on the lift early for years. At least we all get an opportunity to get on the lift early. They should have realized it years ago when they created that deal for claybrook owners.

Capitalism at its best. I do not necessarily like it, but Summit Ventures has the right to do what it wants, just as we as skiers have the right to ski where we want. Lots of choices out there. To compare this to the long running 25 year Demoulas Family Market Basket dispute is just uncalled for. And just plain wrong. Last year this board complained about crowds on Saturdays caused by Four Pack skiers. That certainly had/has much more impact on all of us. Capitalism at its best. Personally, it is too cold and dark at 7:30 for me to get all hot and bothered about the mountain making a little more cash doing something that a lot of American businesses do.

We had an end of summer - bring on the winter ski club dinner last night. None of us had any issue with this pay extra-early bird 30 minute ski bonanza. and none were signing up/paying for it. Bring on the ski season so we can stop complaining about a minor innovation. A major innovation is the M-F $99 Boomer Pass for over-65ers. let's talk about something positive that benefits those that live in the Valley full time.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Capitalism at its best. I do not necessarily like it, but Summit Ventures has the right to do what it wants, just as we as skiers have the right to ski where we want. Lots of choices out there. To compare this to the long running 25 year Demoulas Family Market Basket dispute is just uncalled for. And just plain wrong. Last year this board complained about crowds on Saturdays caused by Four Pack skiers. That certainly had/has much more impact on all of us. Capitalism at its best. Personally, it is too cold and dark at 7:30 for me to get all hot and bothered about the mountain making a little more cash doing something that a lot of American businesses do.

We had an end of summer - bring on the winter ski club dinner last night. None of us had any issue with this pay extra-early bird 30 minute ski bonanza. and none were signing up/paying for it. Bring on the ski season so we can stop complaining about a minor innovation. A major innovation is the M-F $99 Boomer Pass for over-65ers. let's talk about something positive that benefits those that live in the Valley full time.
    Agreed. If it was such a big deal, I would probably want to do it, but not for 500. They'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly. Personally, I think having heavens gate open at 8 is a much bigger deal and major improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Agreed. If it was such a big deal, I would probably want to do it, but not for 500. They'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly. Personally, I think having heavens gate open at 8 is a much bigger deal and major improvement.
    Personally, I see it as another pass option. Around the country there are Mon-Fri passes, blackout passes, college passes, unlimited passes, early season passes, spring passes, and many others. All of them have different price points on when you want to ski and they leave that up to you, the consumer. I believe the price is expensive, but if they can get people to pay it, good for them. As stated before, that's how consumerism and capitalism works. I guess I can see how some of you feel that your left out and will have to adjust your ski plans, but I still don't see how it is that much different than paying for a pass that includes weekends and holidays.

As for the $99 baby boomer pass, I think it's a great idea, but does it replace all the passes above that age bracket as well?

Stan, I have to hand it to you. You are and always are the most positive person. I can understand and accept what you are saying as it pertains to you and maybe some of the others in your house. Are you saying that Treeskier is totally on board with this??? That would amaze me.

You say this is a minor innovation but on powder days when I am standing down at Bravo at 7:20 with my wife and 15 or 20 others(the same people every time) and we watch the people lap the lift it does not feel minor. We live to ski those days because that is who we are. The powder crazed die hards and if you shrug this off as "oh well" then you possibly do not greatly value the powder experience. Yes I can ski the woods and get my share but I am not satisfied with that. I like those first 2 or 3 runs when it is a race to eat it up on the trails. That way it is a fair contest were the better skiers get more because they are faster. So no! I am not going to accept this. I am going to fight it by Skinning and doing what ever I want. To hell with this and the rules!

This is just my opinion and I respect yours and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

There was a lot of complaining about quad packs and the resulting crowds -- are those gone this year?

Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    There was a lot of complaining about quad packs and the resulting crowds -- are those gone this year?
    I suspect that the Quad Packs will be announced after the next Season Pass deadline of September 10th, but I bet the price increases.to like $240 per QP.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Personally, I think having heavens gate open at 8 is a much bigger deal and major improvement.
    +1 here

I'm not sure i understand the difference on; 5 day pass that you pay 569 for, a Mt. ellen that you pay 599 for, an all mtn that you pay 1349 for, and a all mtn with ups that you pay 1849 for. All are the consumer's choice for variable access. I guess you could say that the option is expensive and has no daily optiion like the others........ But wait, that is capitalism. Don't buy it. Sochi has a better system i'm sure but i'm not bringing politics into this. Hey, it shortens the line.

If SV can make 250k in Rev on this for what will probably be a few days of powder (on the trail) and all things being equal, that goes back into the mountian, the community, and a healthy and viable Sugarbush then i'm for it. And HG open at 8.

Quote Originally Posted by slaw View Post
    I'm not sure i understand the difference on; 5 day pass that you pay 569 for, a Mt. ellen that you pay 599 for, an all mtn that you pay 1349 for, and a all mtn with ups that you pay 1849 for. All are the consumer's choice for variable access. I guess you could say that the option is expensive and has no daily optiion like the others........ But wait, that is capitalism. Don't buy it. Sochi has a better system i'm sure but i'm not bringing politics into this. Hey, it shortens the line.

If SV can make 250k in Rev on this for what will probably be a few days of powder (on the trail) and all things being equal, that goes back into the mountian, the community, and a healthy and viable Sugarbush then i'm for it. And HG open at 8.
    +1 Slaw,... I could not agree more!

I think the difference is that this feels like losing something from an all mtn pass. The 4-20's, quads, 5 day, mt ellen, senior 5 day, etc, etc, all give a discount to someone who is not an all mtn passholder, while taking maybe some less crowded trails away. But this takes most on-trail fresh tracks on a w/e pow day away from an all mtn pass, so it is no longer the same pass. SB has basically set the price of fresh tracks on a w/e at $500. So this feels more like what used to be an all mtn pass is now 1849(wow that is high), and an "all mtn minus ups" pass is 1349. For anyone who bought an all mtn pass in May, they just took fresh tracks away, and converted it to an "all mtn minus ups" pass.

I think you have to be a rare pow addict that lives for and religiously gets in line before lifts load no matter what on a pow day, to understand. (and be stuck working M-F)

They totally have a right to do it, although that taking something away that was all-ready purchased perspective sounds similar to ASC selling "all NE passes" and then selling SB years ago. Much bigger deal losing an entire mtn, but the VT AG (or someone) made them add SB for those pass holders (I was one of them).

I don't like it, but new patterns will be flown and freshies will be had in other spots.

I have been saying since day one that it's just another pass option, but I still don't believe that many people will take advantage of it... It seems like a huge risk in relation to potential return...

You guys that are pissed off about this really have to look at the numbers. How many people will actually spend the money to ride the lift at 7:30?? I say, if they sell 20 of these, it will be a lot. Of the 20 - what are the chances - all 20 people will be at Sugarbush on a powder day?

Maybe I don't understand the person that gets in line at 7:30 so they can be first on the lift at 800,... fwiw, I don't understand anyone dropping $500 to be in line even earlier. I guess if you really do care about being absolutely first,... you now have an option.