Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Off-season Improvements Discussion

Just wondering if there are any updates on the promised lift upgrades?

I was reminded of this, seeing the 2014 mountain biking season is underway via the Sugarbush webcam, and remembering these words from Win:

They have identified slightly more than $1 million of mechanical and electrical upgrades to the following lifts: Super Bravo Express Quad, Gate House Express Quad, Heaven's Gate Triple, North Lynx Triple, North Ridge Express Quad, Summit Quad, and Sunshine Double. I have approved all of them. These upgrades should give us the reliability that we all expect.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno View Post
    Just wondering if there are any updates on the promised lift upgrades?

I was reminded of this, seeing the 2014 mountain biking season is underway via the Sugarbush webcam, and remembering these words from Win:

They have identified slightly more than $1 million of mechanical and electrical upgrades to the following lifts: Super Bravo Express Quad, Gate House Express Quad, Heaven's Gate Triple, North Lynx Triple, North Ridge Express Quad, Summit Quad, and Sunshine Double. I have approved all of them. These upgrades should give us the reliability that we all expect.
    I don't know that any of the upgrade work will be visibly apparent. Its not like they are replacing bull wheels, cables or chairs. Mostly sensors and electronics and things like that.

from todays email

In addition to all the capital projects I have mentioned in earlier emails, we are also looking at purchasing a couple of hundred new low-energy snow guns to be placed at both Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen. Once we have finalized everything I will share the details with you. - See more at: http://www.sugarbush.com/blogs/wins-....ngs3DcMy.dpuf

Hey all -

I tweaked the title of this thread b/c it looks like it's branching out into other subjects and, with all the posting activity lately, we really need to keep things tidied up. '-)

Anyway, to build on what Howie just added, the list of off-season projects I've seen thus far includes:

- $1MM in extraordinary improvements to the electrical and mechanical innards of HG, Bravo, GH, Sunnyside and NRX
    - Permitting of the VH replacement (slated for installation next summer)
    - $1MM in snowmaking system upgrades, including new pipe on Snowball/Spring Fling plus some work on the pumps and compressors
    - Several hundred new low-e guns for both LP and ME (question is whether this is included in the $1MM mentioned above)

That's a pretty healthy agenda that is at least focused on the most pressing issues. Not sure it will really close the gap to best in class on the snowmaking front, but it's a start.

They have identified slightly more than $1 million of mechanical and electrical upgrades to the following lifts: Super Bravo Express Quad, Gate House Express Quad, Heaven's Gate Triple, North Lynx Triple, North Ridge Express Quad, Summit Quad, and Sunshine Double. I have approved all of them. These upgrades should give us the reliability that we all expect.[/QUOTE]

I think this answers tins question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been activity around some of the lifts that I have seen on my couple of weekends that I have been up. Not sure exactly what they are doing but Howie is right. It will not exactly be apparent. The results will be the proof. I like the sounds of snowmaking upgrades. Anything will be a welcome site.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Thanks for everyone's input. I know the lift improvements won't be readily seen-- was just hoping someone had the deets.

Are these the same low-e guns that the mountain already has in use?

That's what I am thinking. They seem to love those new guns. I am not a big fan as you all know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That's what I am thinking. They seem to love those new guns. I am not a big fan as you all know.
    Agreed. Would have rather seen them invest in some fan guns on wide trails and high traffic areas, e.g. Spring Fling, Birch, the intersection of OG/Steins/Jester, stretch of downspout above HG into the HG base area and Lower Paradise.

Didn't say whether it is the snologics or the hkds, but either way they aren't cheap so they must think it is worth it. And should be an improvement.

Thanks for the updates here guys. Hope this improvement will be visibly apparent soon. ^_^

Off-season Improvements Discussion

I'm sure the reason for no new fan guns is strictly related to cost. First, an electric line would need to be installed, and the guns purchased. Second, electricity costs were through the roof from GMP this year, and that would increase that cost even more. Third, I have no idea how difficult it would be to move these guns onto and off of a steep trail like Spring Fling, unless they are mounted, which costs even more.

I know the Low-E guns aren't the preferred snowmaking choice, but unless they boost the air/water capacity, it is the only way they will be able to increase production without going the fan gun route, and even then they would need more water.

I know that snowmaking at Mt. Ellen is restricted to the main routes down, but it would be nice to see Exterminator get a little snow to get it open sooner, unless that pipe is no longer serviceable.

Also, has anybody heard anything on Rice Brook Phase 2? I'm not in a hurry to see it built, but with Phase 1 all but sold out, I figured there would be some move to get Phase 2 started by next summer. I know there's a significant amount of site work necessary (lift relocation notwithstanding), so if we haven't heard of it yet, perhaps it's not happening.
    Last edited by Ride Delaware ?; 07-08-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: additional comment

That is a good question. I have not heard anything concrete on the Rice Brook Phase II or the new VH lift other than they are working on it. Maybe the lift maintenance and the snowmaking was the priority for this year and next year they will move forward. I am sure by October's Owners Meeting there will be plan in place and Win will talk about it.

I believe the reason given a few years back is that the bumps are better without snow making on exterminator. I agree on the upper part but some love for the lower part would be good. Not sure of the condition of the pipe, but I bet there has to be some issues since it has not seen the mice blown out in several years now!