Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    60 days Howie? More like 30 I would bet. Killington an Sunday River are both banging the Drum. Early season skiing is awesome and an annual rite. You should blow off one of those family sporting weekends and come up. I know of a certain K-Ton - SB Flip-Flopper that would love your company. We have already been summonsed to appear.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Howie, I am not totally convinced that this process is 100% needed. I know of no other mountain that does this the way that SB does. If they just moved the guns more the snow would spread out and then dry out the same way. They do not have to make huge steep features to dry the snow out. That is all I am saying.
    Exactly. A wet towel laid flat will dry much faster than one rolled up into a ball. The "whale settling period" is unique to Sugarbush. The 10AM-skied-off-boilerplate-dust-on-crust intermediate trail is also unique to Sugarbush. Maybe there is a connection.

I hate the whales. I like to cruise on cruisers. I do not enjoy skidding down frozen whale bellies, dodging hidden surprise piles of ISWVs (intermediate skier whale victims). There is no excuse for monster whales on snowball, hotshot, sleeper, racers edge or any intermediate cruiser. Especially on intermediate day (Saturday)!

Off-season Improvements Discussion

I guess I am in the minority here, but I like the whales. They are usually on one, maybe two trails and they provide something different early in the season.....they are quirky so I am into the variety they offer when the woods or other bump runs are not in play.

I agree with reefbum. I also think they should let more trails bump up early in the season. If it were up to me I would let lower grinder and spring fling bump up until some natural snow trails open.

60 days Howie? More like 30 I would bet. Killington an Sunday River are both banging the Drum. Early season skiing is awesome and an annual rite. You should blow off one of those family sporting weekends and come up. I know of a certain K-Ton - SB Flip-Flopper that would love your company. We have already been summonsed to appear.
    I'm stacked until thanksgiving. So realistically, 60 days for me. If we get lucky and I make some turns before then, well, that's a bonus.
    And fwiw-you're flip flopper boy is still sailing away in October. The biking is sublime right now, too.

Howie, I am not totally convinced that this process is 100% needed. I know of no other mountain that does this the way that SB does. If they just moved the guns more the snow would spread out and then dry out the same way. They do not have to make huge steep features to dry the snow out. That is all I am saying.
    Dunno.

Just booked at Big Sky. First time going there. F-ing already jacked to ski!!!! Whoo Hoooo.

Looks like Tree will be happy this year. We went on a long hike this weekend and found the cat road to slide brook has doubled in width due to clearing and seeding. Not only that but the chutes have been cleaned of deadfall and lots of dead standing trees removed. We can also hear the nonstop, sunup to sundown, as the wife says "sound of angry hornets" trail trimming crew. Most likely the same contractors as last year as the never ending noise is the same.
    Thursday will likely be the last day of great foliage as a front is coming in Friday and 60%+ of the leaves will be down by Saturday afternoon. It has been an early year and one of the best with the lack of wind or rain the last 10+ days. Looks like Community Day will be the first weekend of stick season.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure View Post
    Looks like Tree will be happy this year. We went on a long hike this weekend and found the cat road to slide brook has doubled in width due to clearing and seeding. Not only that but the chutes have been cleaned of deadfall and lots of dead standing trees removed. We can also hear the nonstop, sunup to sundown, as the wife says "sound of angry hornets" trail trimming crew. Most likely the same contractors as last year as the never ending noise is the same.
    Thursday will likely be the last day of great foliage as a front is coming in Friday and 60%+ of the leaves will be down by Saturday afternoon. It has been an early year and one of the best with the lack of wind or rain the last 10+ days. Looks like Community Day will be the first weekend of stick season.

Won't be long before the first flakes fall.

I spent two years in the employ of Sunday River, and I can state for a fact that the goal there is to leave snowmaking piles for a day of drainage before grooming them. Oftentimes this doesn't happen because of the early season race and the desire to open terrain as fast as possible. However, when I was there 3 short years ago, the stated goal was to blow, leave in whales and drain one night, cat track and allow to drain a second night, and then groom the next day. It may not be the industry norm, but that is the stated goal.

Before you go and blast me on this, remember that goals and actuality are two very different things. I can only remember 2-3 times in the two years I was there that this process was followed. Most of the time they would blow snow, open it up to the public, allow it to get chewed up, leave it alone a few days until it was unenjoyable, cat track it a day, then groom it the next.

Please remember that this wasn't the standard for resurfacing and the process also differed depending on the difficulty of the terrain.

GF are you taking about the main chutes of Slide brook off the cat track for the removal of the dead fall? or just the We saw the widening of the road in while it was happening. One of the workmen said that they were just maintaining the road for easier access and creating better drainage so the road will be more durable. I also noticed another well location went it about halfway up Village run.

BS

Just booked at Big Sky. First time going there. F-ing already jacked to ski!!!! Whoo Hoooo.

BS - if you like steeps - bring the beacon - Big and Little Couloir requires them - patrol shack at gate - didn't want to get a 5 day pass pulled by by-passing - I regret not doing them. Otherwise - it was great and in early March, place was empty - downer was all the north side trees were on the easier slope - Moon-something - but in 5 days of 9-4 we barely covered 20% of the mountain. A client is a local there now - and he took us to stashes that were very steep and deep - don't discount the lower ( skiers right) side - best trees there, and one or two skiers/riders every 50 chairs.

Last - don't miss a half day at Bridger Bowl - a little Alta-type place - if you land by 12:30, you'll be skiing by 1:30

Good Info JWT. There will be lots of Bush People out there with us. I think we have good intel. Beacon and Back Country gear ....Check. Would love to try Bridger. we are going for 8 days in early March so I hope we can see most of it.