Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You need to pay to view that article.

I just saw this: http://vtdigger.org/2014/08/17/veda-...ont-companies/ $900,000.00 in new snow making guns is awesome. I am surprised this is not more press about this

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    I just saw this: http://vtdigger.org/2014/08/17/veda-...ont-companies/ $900,000.00 in new snow making guns is awesome. I am surprised this is not more press about this
    Hmmm. The way I read it, they got a 939k grant and 500k loan to replace 350 guns. That's a lot of guns. Can't hurt.

Query-do they even have 350 old guns operating???

I am sure if you count up all the guns on every trail on both mountains there is. So these guys took a grant that will increase the efficiency of the current system thus reducing the use of electricity and our carbon foot print. The theory sounds good. I just wonder how good the snow will be that they blow and how much snow they will actually make. I an not a fan of the newer type low-e guns they run but that is well documented. I hope the weather stays cold and it snows a lot. Again it is a wait and see.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I am sure if you count up all the guns on every trail on both mountains there is. So these guys took a grant that will increase the efficiency of the current system thus reducing the use of electricity and our carbon foot print. The theory sounds good. I just wonder how good the snow will be that they blow and how much snow they will actually make. I an not a fan of the newer type low-e guns they run but that is well documented. I hope the weather stays cold and it snows a lot. Again it is a wait and see.
    They will make more snow because air is the limiting factor in making snow most of the time.

ok so in addition to the snowmaking improvements and lift upgrades, they are going to run the HG at 8am on weekends/holidays. That's a welcome improvement and for $500 you can ride the SB earlier than 8. awesome stuff. not sure the $500 is worth it.

From the Times Argus article:

MONTPELIER — Projects at Sugarbush Resort and Caledonia Spirits are among those receiving financing through the Vermont Economic Development Authority announced last week.

In all, VEDA approved $4.3 million in financing for economic development projects totaling $9 million throughout Vermont.

At Sugarbush, VEDA approved a $500,000 commercial energy loan to help the Warren resort take advantage of Efficiency Vermont’s Snow Gun Roundup Program, an initiative to replace around 350 older snow guns with new, more energy efficient models.

VEDA said in a news release that “the equipment upgrade project will significantly reduce Sugarbush’s electricity consumption, improve snowmaking capacity and snow quality, and reduce labor costs.”

The release said it is estimated that new snow guns will reduce the resort’s electricity consumption by almost 2,000 megawatt hours annually.

Say Hawk, are you going to get the early ups ad on?

At least we can all get to ride the lift early.

I'm with Hawk on this one. They can run more guns with the low-E's, but I don't think the quality or production quantity is there despite what the "experts" say. I know the SR-7s use a ton of air, but they can make a ton of snow quickly and they can throw it pretty far across wide trails like Ripcord. That being said, if the lower cost to run means more snowmaking throughout the season, then I'll take that tradeoff.

Opening HG at 8 is awesome news. That should alleviate some of the added early morning stress on the SB, especially on powder days.

Lastly, I hadn't heard it mentioned yet, and I'm way too young for it, but the midweek baby boomer pass for $99 seems like an excellent addition.

For all you tree hugger types - they are going to save 2,000,000 kilowatts of electricity (1,100 tons of carbon) I know i am very happy with the idea of 350 new guns and a more efficient system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I'm with Hawk on this one. They can run more guns with the low-E's, but I don't think the quality or production quantity is there despite what the "experts" say. I know the SR-7s use a ton of air, but they can make a ton of snow quickly and they can throw it pretty far across wide trails like Ripcord. That being said, if the lower cost to run means more snowmaking throughout the season, then I'll take that tradeoff.
    The low e guns use at least half the air to make the same amount of snow. Even if a low e gun produces less snow, combined there should be more snow being made on the mountain.

I believe with the $500 add on, Sugarbush becomes the most expensive seasons pass in all of North America. And if you don't buy in, you can kiss freshies good bye. That blows more then all the snow guns combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    At least we can all get to ride the lift early.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    The low e guns use at least half the air to make the same amount of snow. Even if a low e gun produces less snow, combined there should be more snow being made on the mountain.
    I would love to watch a low-E gun duel against an SR-7. No possible way they make the same amount of snow. However, I will agree that the new guns should collectively put more snow out on the mountain using less energy and less $.
    Last edited by Ride Delaware ?; 08-19-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbarka View Post
    I believe with the $500 add on, Sugarbush becomes the most expensive seasons pass in all of North America. And if you don't buy in, you can kiss freshies good bye. That blows more then all the snow guns combined.
    really? because I was able to get plenty of freshies with the first trackers from claybrook going before me. and werent you one of those complaining that only claybrookers got that opportunity? seems to me they are offering this to address those very complaints.
    Frankly, I dont think Im going to do it. its only of any value on weekend/holiday powder days. so how many is that? 5 at best? I think I'd rather do a couple days on the cat and otherwise skin early.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post

Opening HG at 8 is awesome news. That should alleviate some of the added early morning stress on the SB, especially on powder days.

Lastly, I hadn't heard it mentioned yet, and I'm way too young for it, but the midweek baby boomer pass for $99 seems like an excellent addition.
    I find it hard to believe that they are spending 1.5m dollars to replace practically all the old guns, with state of the art new technology, and there wont be significant improvements in the snowmaking. c'mon fellas. u wanted to see them spend money on snowmaking, they're spending money on snowmaking. be happy and lets see how it works out. If come MLK weekend the results arent there, then you can start complaining again.