Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Personally, I'll take the 10 minute drive over to ME and sleep in a little longer.

Any word on whether Four Packs will be back this season? The weekday Boomers Pass for $99.00 is a welcome addition.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

For me it is just the principal of the whole thing. I now have to pay an extra $500 for the privilege. No I don't think so. That is not worth it to me. I will just skin and the rules about that are irrelevant. I thumb my nose at them. HA!

Howie, I too can get all the power I want by heading for the woods and tracking up places that I would save for later in the day. Sure I get my fill just like you. But only as little as a few years ago I would be in line at like at 7:20 - 7:30 and it would be me, Terri, Wolfie, a few instructors, you and your gang, Ben and his gang and maybe 10 others. And we would choose a run like Mall, Steins, Domino, Twist and their might be what, 1 or 2 sets of patroller tracks at most. For the last 4 or 5 years every trail is totally tracked and my first run is always, Christmas Tree or Eden or some woods run. I guess I just miss getting Mall with snow going over my head. I guess powder rage is in full effect. Now a days there is like a minimum of 200 at 8:00 chomping at the bit. The claybrook and friends of important people group at 7:30 is about 30 to 40 people on most powder days. I have been there and this is not a guess. Fact! I give up. I am not fighting it I am just going to ignore them and do what is right. Take it myself.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Class warfare strikes in warren vt

I am torn. As a businessman, I can understand the desire to generate more revenue with literally no incremental cost. Yet as someone who "Takes the road less traveled" (I have a pass at Magic) I find the escalating costs and special deals for those with money (and I have the money) to be unsettling. On the other hand, if you're a local, and as this applies to WE/Hol, and only to Super Bravo, you have plenty of opportunity for powder. Also, I understand this doesn't apply to ME, which on a WE/Hol is where I want to be anyhow (Road less traveled!). So locals are not missing that much in the grand scheme. But I do not like the "Elitist" overtones this creates.

Actually, the guy who loses is the middle/upper middle class family guy, who can only visit on WE/Hol, skis at Lincoln Peak for the lodging, kids programs, etc. He can't justify a pass, much less the added $500. He has limited solo ski time due to the family obligations, and doesn't know all the stashes, etc. This is the guy who, after dealing with all the above, and being lucky enough to be there on a powder day, finally gets out at 8 or 8:30, and the mountain is skied off?? This guy probably goes elsewhere next time. Isn't this the core demographic that Sugarbush wants?

I can afford it, but I see no reason to sign on. The MT. Has the right to whatever pricing and promotions it wants to put out there, but this appears to me to be setting a bad precedent. I would rather spend the $$ driving up midweek for some less crowded full powder days. And, I am just going to be real happy to be skiing this season after missing last season.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

On the flip side, and honestly, I'm just being the devils advocate, but isn't this really a different pass variation? They sell plenty of weekday passes at a cheaper value, then there is a "weekend" add-on if you want to look at it that way. I know many of you won't see it that way, but at it's base level, that's kind of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    For me it is just the principal of the whole thing. I now have to pay an extra $500 for the privilege. No I don't think so. That is not worth it to me. I will just skin and the rules about that are irrelevant. I thumb my nose at them. HA!

Howie, I too can get all the power I want by heading for the woods and tracking up places that I would save for later in the day. Sure I get my fill just like you. But only as little as a few years ago I would be in line at like at 7:20 - 7:30 and it would be me, Terri, Wolfie, a few instructors, you and your gang, Ben and his gang and maybe 10 others. And we would choose a run like Mall, Steins, Domino, Twist and their might be what, 1 or 2 sets of patroller tracks at most. For the last 4 or 5 years every trail is totally tracked and my first run is always, Christmas Tree or Eden or some woods run. I guess I just miss getting Mall with snow going over my head. I guess powder rage is in full effect. Now a days there is like a minimum of 200 at 8:00 chomping at the bit. The claybrook and friends of important people group at 7:30 is about 30 to 40 people on most powder days. I have been there and this is not a guess. Fact! I give up. I am not fighting it I am just going to ignore them and do what is right. Take it myself.
    I dont disagree. definitely was better for us when there were fewer people there. no doubt. heck, we used to be able to get on line at 7:50 and get amongst the first chairs. no more. didnt yogi berra say "nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded."
    but we need to talk offline about strategy especially in light of these new dynamics.
    fwiw-I'll be up for labor day weekend if you want to catch up for a ride/beer or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sglatham View Post
    I am torn. As a businessman, I can understand the desire to generate more revenue with literally no incremental cost. Yet as someone who "Takes the road less traveled" (I have a pass at Magic) I find the escalating costs and special deals for those with money (and I have the money) to be unsettling. On the other hand, if you're a local, and as this applies to WE/Hol, and only to Super Bravo, you have plenty of opportunity for powder. Also, I understand this doesn't apply to ME, which on a WE/Hol is where I want to be anyhow (Road less traveled!). So locals are not missing that much in the grand scheme. But I do not like the "Elitist" overtones this creates.

Actually, the guy who loses is the middle/upper middle class family guy, who can only visit on WE/Hol, skis at Lincoln Peak for the lodging, kids programs, etc. He can't justify a pass, much less the added $500. He has limited solo ski time due to the family obligations, and doesn't know all the stashes, etc. This is the guy who, after dealing with all the above, and being lucky enough to be there on a powder day, finally gets out at 8 or 8:30, and the mountain is skied off?? This guy probably goes elsewhere next time. Isn't this the core demographic that Sugarbush wants?
    agreed. But like we've talked about before, this is how it is everywhere whether its amusement park VIP lines, airline extras, sporting events etc. At least we know that Win and company arent doing this to put some extra cash in their pocket but putting the money back into the place. So if they get 250k, that's a significant part of the cost of a new VHquad.

I will be up from the 25th onward. I will see you then. Bring your mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I dont disagree. definitely was better for us when there were fewer people there. no doubt. heck, we used to be able to get on line at 7:50 and get amongst the first chairs. no more. didnt yogi berra say "nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded."
    but we need to talk offline about strategy especially in light of these new dynamics.
    fwiw-I'll be up for labor day weekend if you want to catch up for a ride/beer or whatever.

Let's hope that the same people that spend $500 to get on the mountain a half hour early on the few weekend/holiday powder days are also kind enough to get out there at 7:30 on the more frequent days when everything is frozen and you need traffic to break up the crust so that you can get an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    If you get on the SB at 7:30 when it opens, then you could hypothetically get in an average of 3 runs before standard opening at 8. However, if your goal is to get to the top of HG for first tracks when it opens at 8, then one of your runs will need to be used to get there and be in line.
    You are being optimistic that the HG chair actually opens at 8. Windholds, icing, mechanical and other issues have that chair frequently on a delayed opening.

Its great to see the board coming back to life after listening to crickets all summer! Its also funny to see the same people wining about the same BS.

Is it elitist for FedEx to charge extra for AM delivery? How about box seats at any event? How about first class in an airplane? What about small, medium and large - why should you pay more for a large??? Hell - why do they even charge anyone to ride the lift - it should be free! This is America, this is not Cuba.

I would not pay the extra $500,... but hey - if they can sell them and increase revenue - they absolutely should. If you want to buy one great,... enjoy yourself at 7:00 in the morning while i'm still in bed.

If you are that unhappy about getting "first tracks" on a powder-day - well, I think you sound like one unhappy person.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    You are being optimistic that the HG chair actually opens at 8. Windholds, icing, mechanical and other issues have that chair frequently on a delayed opening.
    I hope this summer they fix whatever the issue was. If the lifts ice up so will the trail so think of it as a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    I missed you guys saying that the HG will open at 8. So that also means that the 7:30 people will be in line there first. Sounds like I will be going to Castle Rock and North Linx a lot more. This is going to change my routine completely. Have to adapt to get what I actually came here for. Not a problem.

The other thing that I was thinking about is this. If they are going for a grant that the end result is to use less energy, how are they gong to blow more snow? I would think that they would not increase the amount of snow they make because that would eat into the savings that they are trying to achieve. Right? They will just blow the same amount they usually do or less with all new guns to have the energy savings they want to achieve.