Should we open this weekend?

Man the weather looks bleak for this weekend.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...tField2=-72.82
    Not very appealing for a closing weekend. Funny we have so much snow. But ironically the long range forecast on NECN weather is for a beautiful weekend on the 10-11th. If they do end up not opening this weekend but there is still plenty of snow to ski on the following weekend. I can only hope they consider opening then. We are due a sunny warm spring ski weekend. Jay is planning to stay open till then. I will admit I have a little selfish side also. Can't ski this weekend due to the wondrous graduation from college of my daughter. Definitely plan to ski somewhere the following weekend.

Killington only has ten trails open and jay has 30. sugarbush is the only one open top to bottom.

Kudos to the groomers for moving snow and patching connections that allowed addtional terrain to open this weekend.

Ironically we should be open this weekend. We have enough snow. Looks like we could even be top to bottom again from John A. Stoke report.

Tree, from my window all routes down have melted but they could move snow around. I'd say they're done.

I can't say about the status of the top but I spoke to someone late yesterday that said they could easily run the VH double and ski Steins - Coffee Run. To open the top they would need to have Jester open to get people out because from HG down is too far gone. I would bet that would be challenging.

Killington and Jay are open. FWIW.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

There's quite a bit of good skiing still out there and it does not involve the lift. Why on earth would you want to continue skiing the same runs you have skied all season? So much of NH is in prime condition from Tucks, to Boott Spur, to King Ravine it just blows me away that you want the bush to open so you can lap Stiens run. Come on Hawk, put the AT gear to use. I skied Tucks yesterday and it was prime, Chute was full, Left gully was super, Hillmans, and Dodges full of snow. Last week I was on King and it was so full of snow that it was unbelievable. The lifts are done for the season and the true spring skiing has been going off for over a month. Go ski some steeper terrain to close out your season.

I was just responding to Tree and his request as I know they could open. Myself, I hung up the skis and have been riding my mountain bike with my other group of friends. You know, the summer friends. I have rode most nights over they last month and I am starting to get my wind and legs back. How many days have you mountain biked this year? Riding is primo this year with very little mud. The riding on the North Shore of Boston is the best around if you like sick rocky technical riding. I don't limit myself to one addition and I won't tell you about my third addition.

Quote Originally Posted by ahm View Post
    There's quite a bit of good skiing still out there and it does not involve the lift. Why on earth would you want to continue skiing the same runs you have skied all season? So much of NH is in prime condition from Tucks, to Boott Spur, to King Ravine it just blows me away that you want the bush to open so you can lap Stiens run. Come on Hawk, put the AT gear to use. I skied Tucks yesterday and it was prime, Chute was full, Left gully was super, Hillmans, and Dodges full of snow. Last week I was on King and it was so full of snow that it was unbelievable. The lifts are done for the season and the true spring skiing has been going off for over a month. Go ski some steeper terrain to close out your season.
    You know I need to respond to this further. Different strokes for different folks. It's not always about death stomping your way up to the peak to achieve a personal goal or have a fitness goal. I do like to test myself and get away from the masses sometimes. Solitude in the back country is great but sometimes skiing with all your friends on Steins in the spring is special also. As an ex-freestyle bumper I have had many good times doing this very thing. Hell that is the only reason you see me at Sunday River. I guess if you can't understand that then maybe you never skied with all your friends in a big group and whooped it up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with both.

Hawk,

As a long time bump skier, I love skiing bumps with and without my friends and as a long long time skier I realize the different strokes very well, that is why I keep my season very diverse, from lifts, to backcountry, from East to West to other continents. Diversity adds fun, by changing it up. Much like not skiing the same ski from 10 years ago or the same run each time we ride a lift. But year in year out, the same couple people want one more run on Stiens when the hill is closed. It's closed, so either find another hill or do your skiing a good dose of reconnecting with it's routes and hey you can even take your friends with you. I guess closing out a season on Stiens is just not a way I like to close my season, maybe the lift served one, but once that's over..........and I think SB pulled the plug..............then I go ski elsewhere vs requesting the mgmt to open the hill...........so your AT gear is patiently waiting for you in the closet to......................................death stomp some peak and get some steep turns in..................those Mistrale soles are looking brand new

I understand exactly what you are saying. In fact I actually live by this most of the time. I just understand Tree also. He is there day one to the last day and is usually the person who is on that very last chair. I can't blame him for lamenting the closing of the lifts especially since he miss last weekend. I think we all realize that Win is done and has let his workers move on to Summer. Yes Tucks! Your job gives you flexibility to get out there when the weather is good. I would have to deal with the weekend madness. But that is also manageable as the rockpile is a massive place with many options. I do like kings and great gulf better than Tucks. All good.

You do realize that you were the one that motivated me to get my AT setups. They have seen very good use and even some epic ski runs. This year I am feeling extremely beat up. I had more days this year than the last 10 even at this relatively early end for me. I am moving on to mountain bike and road bike season. I will see you on the hill next year up in Maine.

Hawk,

It is actually all in good fun. Yes, I know I motivated you to get an AT set up and I am just razzin' you on the soles being new. Per your comment, I know you understand what I am saying and I know what it feels like to be beat up at the end of the season. Here ya all the way, and driving for the skiing each weekend adds to the "burn". Enjoy the MTB season, road as well. Both mine have been out already..........and looking forward to a lot more. More skiing..............for sure, there is still some great snow out there and some nice lines to turn on. Have fun and catch you in the Fall................you could always join me for some Patagonia hut to hut touring in the fall..............

Did anyone get out there and hike/ski what little bit was remaining?