Re: '13-'14 Season Grades

Let's not make this about the mtn, lifts or snowmaking. I'm talking about personal.

I'll give it an B+.

no injuries-also, I didnt haul wood this season (long story) and noticed I was a lot less tired and my back wasnt as sore and tight.
    very happy with my total number of ski days which was 45. Also happy with my number of powder days which was 9. I broke in a new pair of Line SFB's and I'm very happy with them. also happy with my new shell.
    Got out west for the first time in 4 years so that was good. cat skiing in BC was awesome even though there wasnt the waist deep powder I had dreamed of, and the conditions at Whitewater were poor.
    I scored a good amount of Lawson's so that was a plus.
    Got to ski on thanksgiving after 25 years at the in laws. enough said.
    Because of the timing of my trip out west, I missed the worst of the january thaw of death.
    The wifey was in a womans clinic on saturdays so she didnt bust my balls about not skiing with her until after that ended (don't worry, she found other things to nag me about).
    Liking the new old hyde away

The negatives-
    I had 6 powder days at SB and they were very good, but other than one or two they werent epic. I think that was due to the almost total lack of upslope snow this winter. We were also significantly below average in snowfall, although the consistent cold in march kept the goods around longer than usual.
    despite getting AT bindings and skins, I never had a chance to use them.
    Didnt make it to tuckermans again.
    believe the mud season road conditions damaged my truck although it could have been from the horrific road conditions at home. I needed 3 new hubs and a wheel.
    spent way too much on heating the house.

I got in 60 days. A mark I haven't reached in 10 years. Jackson hole was awesome with feet of snow. Stayed pretty healthy. Other that that, we skied very few epic days in comparison to prior years and I was disappointed in general with my mountain the weather and conditions. This years Grade D. I will leave it at that.

Bike season has started out perfect. Dry conditions and big fun rides. It has salvaged the year for me.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Being lucky enough to go up and ski every weekend I don't think I could ever give grade lower than C unless there was an injury. I'll give it a B/B+ Got 45 days in with some fun powder days and a few bonus "sick" days. Most days skied in many years. Just being with family and friends out on the hill and après makes for such a good time. I'm ready for summer and some trips up to enjoy the other best season Vermont has.

C+

Not nearly enough ski days (due to timing-- my fault).

UT trip was fun, but conditions poor at Alta, and came home with Bronchitis (thanks to someone whom shall remain nameless).

Was getting too tired to soon (see Bronchitis). Multiple truck repairs as well, unfortunately.

Enjoyed the Rhythm Boys at MRG & also the "new" MRBarn & Elusive Moose menu.

Bike is tuned & ready to ride, so looking forward to better Spring if my allergies don't stop me.

Also looking forward to Brewgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno View Post
    C+

Not nearly enough ski days (due to timing-- my fault).

UT trip was fun, but conditions poor at Alta, and came home with Bronchitis (thanks to someone whom shall remain nameless).

Was getting too tired to soon (see Bronchitis). Multiple truck repairs as well, unfortunately.

Enjoyed the Rhythm Boys at MRG & also the "new" MRBarn & Elusive Moose menu.

Bike is tuned & ready to ride, so looking forward to better Spring if my allergies don't stop me.

Also looking forward to Brewgrass.
    I didn't get to the elusive moose. How was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I got in 60 days. A mark I haven't reached in 10 years. Jackson hole was awesome with feet of snow. Stayed pretty healthy. Other that that, we skied very few epic days in comparison to prior years and I was disappointed in general with my mountain the weather and conditions. This years Grade D. I will leave it at that.

Bike season has started out perfect. Dry conditions and big fun rides. It has salvaged the year for me.
    I got the wife to agree to bike around manhattan for Mother's Day. Perfect.

I'll give my season a B+. It's a difficult call, because based on my past ski history, it was far and away my best ski season with improvement, lack of injury, and snow. If I compared it to those it would be an A.

I started riding casually at 14 and was averaging 30 days a season in the Pokes during college. The past two years I was at Sunday River full time logging 114 days apiece, but I had an injury last season, and neither season had many epic powder days.

This season I made the transition back to "vacationing" and logged 65 days on snow. I was hoping for 70, but I had to cancel my last trip. I started at Killington in early November, got out at the Bush starting at opening, and ended my season April 16.

I got to try out some new mountains in Middlebury and Smuggs, and got to return to Gore for the first time in 6 years. I was also lucky enough to be in town for all the "major" snow events except for the final upslope event that dropped a foot plus. I also suffered no injuries on the hill for the first time in two years.

Overall, even though I didn't get that mega snow year yet, the 235" reported is far and away 70-80" more than last year at SR and I got to ski on some excellent free refill powder days. I was able to explore, hit some nice tree runs, and be here for an epic last season.

No real complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

60 days of skiing and you give this year a "D",.... Just curious - why not give this year an F? Maybe i don't understand your grading system.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    60 days of skiing and you give this year a "D",.... Just curious - why not give this year an F? Maybe i don't understand your grading system.
    I think he is trying to stay away from repeating and restarting his rant about SB snowmaking and lifts etc...

And he didn't have many epic powder days...

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    We couldn't make up our minds as to where to have dinner one night, so we decided to go to a few places and have a beer and apps at each.

Started with wings at the Mad River Grille. They were very nice. Bartender was great.

Then on to the Elusive Moose & sat in the bar. Had the strudel app, duck gnocci and something else I've forgotten. Really creative & excellent flavors.

Would definitely recommend checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Skip the burgers. There are definitely better in the valley according to the two in our party who ordered them. The rest of the food was scrumptious. everybody was friendly. I would definitely go back. Bar at Mad River Barn on weekend is. Bit of a zoo. We wend down stairs and had a creole soup and creole salmon chef special and it was delicious enough to get me through the 5 very large noisy family groups who sat down after we were seated. Good to see the valley restaurants busy!
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Re: '13-'14 Season Grades

I had a B+ type of season. The 61 days I logged were the most I had by far and the snow during the latter part of the season made up for the earlier dry spells. A few powder days and no injuries. Didn't make it out west for the first time in a while so that was a bit of a bummer. Highlight of the season was first tracks on Castlerock Run after it was groomed with 5" of fresh on top. Had a similar scenario on Stein's earlier that morning with some fresh tracks on powder on top of corduroy......felt like an outer body experience ripping under those circumstances. Also had some memorable runs through Slidebrook.
    Last edited by ReefBum; 05-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Well I did get to ski with lots of people......and there were a couple of really good powder days......and I didn't get hurt this year so it was not a total failure so no "F" Grade.. To answer your question, the grading system is subjective and is based on the person's particular feeling about the season. Compared to my last 10 years of skiing Sugarbush, this year was a D. I guess I have had mostly better years than this one. The 60 days had the least to do with my grade. My average is around 50 but 60 is hard to do on weekends, holidays, vacations and sick days. It basically means that every one of them from opening day to closing day is spent at the hill. I personally experienced over half of those days as marginal conditions or waited in huge lines or whatever. Just not up to my par from previous years. That is my observation.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!