Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    I hate to sound like a wise ass,... BUT with this logic, it would be even less expensive to not maintain the dirt roads or all paved road. Sorry - but i could not help myself. I drive down Lover's Lane in Northfield - that road is always a mess. i just don't understand why these roads don't get paved. It would also be cheaper not to resurface Rt. 89 - but that gets paved because it make sense and because i pay a ton of taxes. I'm sure there are locals in Northfiield that have to drive this road + the gap all the time and have unnecessary wear + tear on their cars as a result.
    I agree that sometimes the dirt roads are a total drag. But I can see how the local municipalities do not want to fork over a huge nut to pay for these road projects. It would mean taking out a loan and paying interest to finance the project and then paying it off. It is much easier to budget monies each year out of the running capital budget to maintain dirt. Also these towns are small and quite. If the road gets paved then it becomes a speed way and traffic increases. The dirt slows people down and limits the traffic. I've heard that people living around that area of West Hill prefer that the road stay dirt.

The recent interstate 89 re-paving was completed as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. It was one of those "Shovel Ready" projects that the stimulus package paid for. Yes taxes paid for it but not local or State taxes and if they didn't do that work, your taxes would not have changed anyway.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-18-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I don't know the economics of dirt v. Pavement, but I know paving is expensive. My driveway at home is about 500' long and just to have that repaved was a fortune. I can only imagine the cost to build a road from scratch. I think I recall hearing that repaying the access road was 3-4m dollar project.
    My house also sits off a gravel road that the town has to re gravel every few months. We prefer the gravel to pavement as it prevents idiots from speeding on it.
    Also, my in laws live in the berkshires in Massachusetts and their roads are dirt too. However, they aren't far from the ct border and the dirt roads that cross over the border are paved on the ct side.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Is that for all residences, or is there a difference between a house and condo/coop?
    That's how the tax rate is calculated for all real estate. No difference between house or condo, that's already in the assessed value.

Looks to be a nice ski weekend!

And btw-they dumped rocks on some of the worst sections of west hill just north of Lincoln gap. Would have been nice if they had also smoothed out said rocks as they are much bigger than gravel, but I guess they were going for the au natural look.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    And btw-they dumped rocks on some of the worst sections of west hill just north of Lincoln gap. Would have been nice if they had also smoothed out said rocks as they are much bigger than gravel, but I guess they were going for the au natural look.
    I saw that as well.....hopefully the worst is behind us on West Hill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk