Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Re: Sweet Spring

I just had 4 days of great skiing and thought I'd start a new thread, because the negativity in the other one is bumming me out and frankly, I dont care to participate (if I want aggravation, I have a job for that, thank you). Feel free to complain over there, but lets keep this positive. I took some video thursday which I'll post tonight. Video wasnt the only souvenir I came home with. The vicious winds on thursday gave me a bit of wind burn or perhaps frostbite and now the skin on my nose is peeling off. Well worth it, though. and it looks like winter isnt going anywhere. Maybe we get lucky and get more snow on saturday.

Happy st. patty's day!

Howie

Thank you so much. I have had to stop going to the other thread.

I was finally able to make my first trip this season to SB and Club-Taski this past Friday. If somebody had told me two weeks ago that I would be skiing at all this season, I would have advised you that I had a better chance of picking all of the NCAA BB tournament winners and collecting a Billion Dollar check from Warren Buffet. I still have a big grin on my face from being able to get out for five runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Our winter sport of choice is a great one and we should all enjoy it while we can and while it is here. The snow conditions on Saturday in particular were some of the best. The outlook for spring is looking good and I plan on coming back up this weekend to partake again and try to catch up a bit. Skiing thru April, hopefully thru May 4 is a good thing.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Howie

Thank you so much. I have had to stop going to the other thread.

I was finally able to make my first trip this season to SB and Club-Taski this past Friday. If somebody had told me two weeks ago that I would be skiing at all this season, I would have advised you that I had a better chance of picking all of the NCAA BB tournament winners and collecting a Billion Dollar check from Warren Buffet. I still have a big grin on my face from being able to get out for five runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Our winter sport of choice is a great one and we should all enjoy it while we can and while it is here. The snow conditions on Saturday in particular were some of the best. The outlook for spring is looking good and I plan on coming back up this weekend to partake again and try to catch up a bit. Skiing thru April, hopefully thru May 4 is a good thing.
    Great to hear, Stan. Ullr should bless us with a monumental spring in your honor.

Here is a video from my first run Thursday. It was quite windy to say the least.

http://youtu.be/wRDj6d01YJw

Slidebrook video from Sunday afternoon.

http://youtu.be/lAsctbRjDu0

True dat on the negativity - thank you for starting a positive vibes post!!

Such a crazy end of the week last week - great snow on Thurs with cold temps and wind, Fri was great too - and then Saturday?! 40's but the snow was soft and the mountain on both sides North/South are in great shape!! It's been great to get onto my favorite runs with plenty o snow!!!

Possible refresh this coming Wend/Thurs - looking forward to the hopeful warmer days of spring skiing ahead!!

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Slidebrook video from Sunday afternoon.

http://youtu.be/lAsctbRjDu0
    Nice Howie. I saw you guys heading that way Sunday. What kind of camera are you running?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I just had 4 days of great skiing and thought I'd start a new thread, because the negativity in the other one is bumming me out and frankly, I dont care to participate (if I want aggravation, I have a job for that, thank you). Feel free to complain over there, but lets keep this positive. I took some video thursday which I'll post tonight. Video wasnt the only souvenir I came home with. The vicious winds on thursday gave me a bit of wind burn or perhaps frostbite and now the skin on my nose is peeling off. Well worth it, though. and it looks like winter isnt going anywhere. Maybe we get lucky and get more snow on saturday.

Happy st. patty's day!
    Good idea. Question for the masses. My inlaws just got me a new go pro 3+. Where do you guys mount this thing? I see a lot of guys with it on top but I was thinking, there is a very good chance of the thing getting ripped off by a tree branch. In laws gave me a helmet front mount but haven't seen anyone wearing it there. Any thoughts on the chest strap? Looking forward to getting some good footage this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoods View Post
    Good idea. Question for the masses. My inlaws just got me a new go pro 3+. Where do you guys mount this thing? I see a lot of guys with it on top but I was thinking, there is a very good chance of the thing getting ripped off by a tree branch. In laws gave me a helmet front mount but haven't seen anyone wearing it there. Any thoughts on the chest strap? Looking forward to getting some good footage this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not a fan of mounting the gopro on the top of the helmet. First of all, I dont like the angle of the videos. As you can see from my videos, my camera which is a different brand, is mounted on the side of my helmet, which I think gives a better eye level view. Its not looking down at the front of the skis like a helmet mounted gopro. Secondly, the top of the helmet mount is more likely to get knocked off. A friend mounted his gopro on the top of his helmet, over a vent, which was foolish and insecure, and lost it within 2 days. I'd go for the chest strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Nice Howie. I saw you guys heading that way Sunday. What kind of camera are you running?
    My camera is a Drift HD. luv the picture quality although its a few years old and so quite a bit bigger than the current generation models.

i agree that the chest mount is safer and looks better as far as POV. Seeing the hands and ski tiips give you a better idea of speed and steepness.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Re: Sweet Spring

First of all, love those Bacons! As for camera location, I use the chest mount and my only complaint is that the video can be shaky if you are in the woods or bumps. Seems like that vid was pretty steady with the camera mounted on the side of the helmet, even in Slidebrook
    Last edited by ReefBum; 03-18-2014 at 06:02 PM.

nice... i got some peeling nose skin too - i was trying to figure out if it was frostbite or sunburn!

I did have a 12 year old tell me my nose was looking a little white last thursday.

I skied 8 days in a row since last Wednesday through yesterday, all great days (ok that sticky snow on saturday could have been a little colder!). Headed south today to visit family for a couple of days and had to drive through quite a bit of snow to get out of Dodge. So I'm sure there was even more fun to be had today.
    Last edited by pcampbell; 03-20-2014 at 04:19 PM.

by the way -- looks like more snow on saturday night? 3/22 into 3/23.

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    nice... i got some peeling nose skin too - i was trying to figure out if it was frostbite or sunburn!

I did have a 12 year old tell me my nose was looking a little white last thursday.

I skied 8 days in a row since last Wednesday through yesterday, all great days (ok that sticky snow on saturday could have been a little colder!). Headed south today to visit family for a couple of days and had to drive through quite a bit of snow to get out of Dodge. So I'm sure there was even more fun to be had today.
    I think it's windburn. Peeled like a sunburn. I think if it was frostbite the damage would have been worse. I'm fine now.