Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My comment at the time is that our day skier visits were down 9% from last year and overall we are down about 5%. Last year we had an unusually snowy December and thus the strongest start ever. The latter part of December and January this year were not great and thus our skier visits declined. February is making up for some of this, but we are still down in total vistis about 5% from last year. Don't know who "the firend" is but he/she is mistaken. The reason that may surpirse you is that Cassterock and the woods opened later this year and more people were congregated in less acreage.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    My comment at the time is that our day skier visits were down 9% from last year and overall we are down about 5%. Last year we had an unusually snowy December and thus the strongest start ever. The latter part of December and January this year were not great and thus our skier visits declined. February is making up for some of this, but we are still down in total vistis about 5% from last year. Don't know who "the firend" is but he/she is mistaken. The reason that may surpirse you is that Cassterock and the woods opened later this year and more people were congregated in less acreage.
    Thank you. That's what I was saying. The mtn can handle increased traffic if all the spokes of the lift system are operating. When they're not, you get lift lines. So all the speculation about quad packers clogging up the mtn, is flat out wrong.

Fwiw-win, I'm kind of puzzled why you are being quite about the vh lift replacement. If it's happening this year, one would think you'd want to get the word out. And if it's not happening this year, one would think you'd similarly want to manage any expectations.

VH Double

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Thank you. That's what I was saying. The mtn can handle increased traffic if all the spokes of the lift system are operating. When they're not, you get lift lines. So all the speculation about quad packers clogging up the mtn, is flat out wrong.

Fwiw-win, I'm kind of puzzled why you are being quite about the vh lift replacement. If it's happening this year, one would think you'd want to get the word out. And if it's not happening this year, one would think you'd similarly want to manage any expectations.
    He did Howie, not sure I read it here or somewhere else, but the general comment was it could happen next season or three years from now, all depends on the powers at the NFS- his comment was they submitted and it is now out of their hands.

Based on extreme environmentalism over the past couple of decades, expect later. Pentagon was built in 18 months , and the Hoover Dam came in 3 years early.

Progressive politics, not free-market enterprise, is the issue.

I will obviously not say who said that. I am not buying it also. Quad packs have boosted the visits. Drink the cool aid its your choice.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    If the mountain is down 5% from last year in a very poor snow year (imo) and last year had the most skier visits in SV history (correct?), doesn't that still make this year a relatively good one financially?

Hawk wrote: "Skier visits are up from last year. That comes from my friends at the lift ticket office. So not a guess. Unless they are lying. But even if I didn't hear that from them, it is totally obvious that there are more people here this year. Easily."

Hawk was wrong. Skier visits down 5%. Some of you might guess a bit less and wait for numbers?

Interesting that it's down 5%. A couple follow up questions (I enjoy looking at numbers)

1) I assume that is overall and not focused on any particular day of the week or weekend only. Last year being a snowier year to start with (though my memory could be off. They all blend into one) there may have been more people inclined to come up on week days,make 3 day weekends, etc. So as a total skier visits may be down because that didn't happen as much. How does it compare for Saturdays only, when most people would feel the effect?

1b) The point was brought up that because of lift issues and some terrain not open due to conditions it would feel more crowded, especially how our mountain is set up. I would agree with that and perhaps that is all. But I do know we broke a couple single day visit records this season so it can't all be perception.

2) Skier visits are down, but what about revenue? How many more quad packs were sold this year compared to last? Since you get the $ up front for quad packs the skier visits may not have a direct impact on revenue (though indirect due to F&B). Just curious. Obviously you don't have to share numbers with us, but it is neat to know. Despite all our b&tching here we do want the mountain to be successful and profitable. It may also be a sign of things to come for the spring. It used to be a ghost town after Feb break. Now there may be a bunch of people sitting on tickets that waited to use them and were patient and we're going to see more people later in the year.

Win wrote: "My comment at the time is that our day skier visits were down 9% from last year and overall we are down about 5%." I'd guess that a "day skier" is anyone who didn't buy a pass of any type (and likely including a quad pack as a "pass," as they're also prepaid). He doesn't appear to be making a distinction between weekdays and weekends. So, pass sales have offset the drop in day visit sales, which makes sense, as the passes serve as a form of insurance (to both seller and buyer). Good question re. revenues. I'd guess that gross revenues are down, but by less than 5%, but profit perhaps down by between 5-10% (reflecting the increased costs Win also noted).

I'm not sure I'd agree with that logic. I think a day skier visit is a unique scan of a pass, season ticket, day ticket or otherwise in any given day. So it would be agnostic about what type of pass. Just logging the number of people year to date which could be less, but if we just looked at Saturdays perhaps it is more (or perhaps not). It also would not infer about revenue. In fact we'd need a lot more to do that. I mean if they sold 30k quad packs last year and 60k this year (just throwing a random number) then revenue woudl be up. Well possibly since maybe some quad packs were former day ticket or season ticket holders. We just don;t know the numbers well enough to guess in an educated way either way. That's why I was curious.

OK, I see your point. Skier visits overall down 9%, something else "overall" (perhaps total revenue?) down 5%. Regardless, this year appears to be a down year to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide View Post
    OK, I see your point. Skier visits overall down 9%, something else "overall" (perhaps total revenue?) down 5%. Regardless, this year appears to be a down year to date.
    my understanding is that what Win said was that skier visits were down 9% at the time of the interview, but 5% as of his addressing the issue here.