Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    haha............. how about a re-incarnation of Egan's Big World with local beef and VT cheddar , VT fries? someone get on that!

Last edited by pcampbell; 02-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.

I was little bored during a conference call and reviewed something that was gnawing at me. It was mentioned, either in this thread or somewhere else that the VH double replacement is not something we should expect to see soon. The notice from the forest service states as follows:

The removal would begin shortly after the end of the ski season in April or early May. Blasting is anticipated for the new unload area and the Valley House Traverse ski trail reconstruction. Some trees would be removed along the lift corridor (The Mall ski trail). These trees would be flush cut, no stump pulling, and left on site, pulled back from trail edge. Tree removal for the trail reconstruction would occur before May 1 or after August 1. Clearing, blasting and grading for the new lift components and trail reconstruction would occur late spring through October, 2014.

seems pretty clear to me that this is planned for this offseason.
    also, upon review of the cover letter from the forest service, it seems that this project is not subject to environmental review/assesments.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I was little bored during a conference call and reviewed something that was gnawing at me. It was mentioned, either in this thread or somewhere else that the VH double replacement is not something we should expect to see soon. The notice from the forest service states as follows:

The removal would begin shortly after the end of the ski season in April or early May. Blasting is anticipated for the new unload area and the Valley House Traverse ski trail reconstruction. Some trees would be removed along the lift corridor (The Mall ski trail). These trees would be flush cut, no stump pulling, and left on site, pulled back from trail edge. Tree removal for the trail reconstruction would occur before May 1 or after August 1. Clearing, blasting and grading for the new lift components and trail reconstruction would occur late spring through October, 2014.

also, upon review of the cover letter from the forest service, it seems that this project is not subject to environmental review/assesments.
    it is here. http://forums.skimrv.com/showthread....o-a-Quad/page3

They might say 2014 so they have the option to start at the end of the season or delay it if they think it should wait another year.

Might have been me Howie - Amazing if it happens as any sort of permitting regarding the environment generally takes years. Maybe, just maybe because it is on private land, not the National Forest -which starts above the top of VH chair.

Happy to be completely wrong n this case. Still wish regrading and extension to below Mushroom was the plan. But as Steven Wright likes to say: Can't have everything. . .where would you put it all?

It would be nice if built sooner. VH broke down Sunday afternoon and was fixed on Monday so it should be good for the weekend.Unfortunately we seem to be stuck on the crappy Steins spring skiing venue[claybrook owners find it bothersome to travel to North and can't eat lodge food for lunch] and the faster quad will help move skiers up the hill. Now if we could get grilled goodies and a beer garden at VH it would be palatable [not Mad Taco like but better than Taco Bell]. Also enough snow on Snowball/Fling would help, but that is NEVER going to happen under the current budget. Village chair was down most of the day yesterday.

ps The lift is not going to Bravo so give it up.

They really need a top to bottom lift.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    They really need a top to bottom lift.
    why?
    I like the way the lift system is set up. I generally take 2 runs from the base, one in the morning and once after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by jwt View Post
    Might have been me Howie - Amazing if it happens as any sort of permitting regarding the environment generally takes years. Maybe, just maybe because it is on private land, not the National Forest -which starts above the top of VH chair.

Happy to be completely wrong n this case. Still wish regrading and extension to below Mushroom was the plan. But as Steven Wright likes to say: Can't have everything. . .where would you put it all?
    The way I read the following excerpt from the forest service cover letter, they dont need the environmental assessments, at least for federal govt. dont know what that means for the state.

A recent court ruling (Sequoia Forest Keeper v. Tidwell, 11-cv-00679-LJO-DLB (E.D. Cal.)) requires
    that actions that can be categorically excluded from an Environmental Assessment or Environmental
    Impact Statement using categories found at 36 CFR 220.6(e) be subject to public notice, comment, and
    opportunity for administrative appeal. This proposal can potentially be categorically excluded under 36
    CFR 220.6(e)(1): “Construction and reconstruction of trails” and 220.6 (e)(2): Additional construction or
    reconstruction of existing telephone or utility lines in a designated corridor. Therefore the decision for
    this project proposal is subject to public notice, comment and opportunity for appeal in accordance with
    36 CFR 215.

why?
    I like the way the lift system is set up. I generally take 2 runs from the base, one in the morning and once after lunch.
    Sometimes it nice just to go top to bottom without having to take two lifts. On the other hand it is nice having lifts that just handle certain sections of the mountain as it helps dispersing the crowd when they are all open.

2% Yet again, Sunday, March 2nd - 9:50 AM

*** Heaven's Gate and Valley House are on maintenance delay. Hiking is open on Jester. ***

But yesterday's "wind hold" on HG doesn't count toward the percentage.....parts probably taken from VH to get HG running. Please pay some real lift mechanics to come work here instead of letting them leave for other mountains. This is just getting to be too much. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    But yesterday's "wind hold" on HG doesn't count toward the percentage.....parts probably taken from VH to get HG running. Please pay some real lift mechanics to come work here instead of letting them leave for other mountains. This is just getting to be too much. It's embarrassing.
    Stop being a hater the lift system at SB is great .

Ridiculous. I passed by the first time at 8:20 or so and they were already working on it. I'm sure they were trying but c'mon, skilled and experienced mechanics should be able to get a lift spinning in less than 5 hours. On the plus side personally, I got 2 runs of untouched powder on ripcord before hg opened, and then 6th chair when it spun after 1. The turns were sweet up there. Terrific day.

Back from JH. I'm totally spoiled. Super place, Tons of new snow, every lift worked every day all the time exept for Avi hold. The level of skiers there is sick. Everybody skis like Egan Brother! Legs totally spent, brain is cooked, spirits are high.

On a side note. They will never be able to start the VH this year. I am 99% sure that there will have to be a review of this project on a State and local level for approval. There has not even been a notice filed yet. Also they would have to be out to bid for the work and I have not heard anything about that. In the circles that I run, I would have heard about this. So do not expect the lift this year. That is my take.

Back next week to the Bush. It's good to be home. I need a vacation from my vacation.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I still had a great day too of untracked in the woods but it is just getting old planning my day around lifts that are not running for mechanical reasons and no mention of lift issues at the hill. Updating the chalkboards in the corrals with lift issues would be greatly appreciated. I have no issues with lift system or layout. Just maintain them so they will be reliable and hire experienced mechanics to fix them when they break down.