Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
    Hmmm guess I skipped over the first part of what you quoted. Apologies. In that instance I can't argue with that. I think that has to do with the individual and general lack of spacial awareness or care about anyone other than self. than an overall indictment on people with kids.

Another example. Changing a two year old in the boot room, or at least the bench by the old ticket counter. I walk in. The bench is full. No one changing. All are ready. Some have their helmets/gloves taking up seats. I squat into a lunge, throw my kid on my knee and continue to change them and boot him up in a very uncomfortable position as everyone sits on the bench and watches me with a strange look of "what's he doing?" I set him down and boot myself up. Again not even a consideration of offering a seat. Total time 4-5 minutes. Done before they even started to make a move out the door. Happened a ton this season. None of those people had kids. They just had no self awareness. I would submit those same people exist in a high top setting devoid of kids. Just to add fuel to the fire I'll suggest they were all quad packers. Damn quad packers........ Probably quad packing claybrookers all cutting me in line........

I wish I had the opportunity to have a beer after Im done skiing saturdays. Usually off taking the kids somewhere, picking up dinner or some other errands (btw-whats with all the hate for kids in the crp? if you have kids and want to have a drink, what are you supposed to do with them?). Anyway, the CRp is way too crowded for my old self. I do like going there when its not crowded especially in the summer when I can bike and have a burger outside. but I digress. Is Timbers also crowded for apres ski?

If im not mistaken, one of next phases of the rice brook development at the base, includes a hostel. Is there a bar planned for there too?

fwiw- my recollection is that when the GH and CRp were built, they were intending to follow them up with a large "skier services building" including another cafeteria and bar. That was later discarded in favor of the schoolhouse and farmhouse buildings, which of course dont include either, and hence the current predicament.

too much demand is a good problem for a business to have. better than the other way around.

speaking of bars, did anyone eat at the pine tree this season? curious how it was under new mgmt. do people go there for apres? that whole sb village is due for a makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    (btw-whats with all the hate for kids in the crp? if you have kids and want to have a drink, what are you supposed to do with them?).

speaking of bars, did anyone eat at the pine tree this season?
    There's no hate for the kids themselves, but the inconsiderate adults whose screaming little angels (or more frequently, their coats) take away much-coveted pub seats from paying customers. Just like how good snow takes the focus off the chairlift problems-- a bigger/better CRP layout would alleviate all the "too-crowded, can't get a drink" complaints. To address an earlier point of too few bartenders, I've seen Maggie working service bar on Saturdays, and Jenny helping out Shaun & Rich as well. Paul used to also be a 3rd tender, prior to moving on to the Pine Tree a few seasons back.

If parents want to have a drink, good for you, but please do the responsible thing-- drink at home out of a coffee mug so you don't influence your spawn to become bar rats at the age of 6 (thus taking up more bar stools, etc.).

Went to the PTP for dinner with 4 friends this season. Burgers were good, didn't venture much from those.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno View Post

If parents want to have a drink, good for you, but please do the responsible thing-- drink at home out of a coffee mug so you don't influence your spawn to become bar rats at the age of 6 (thus taking up more bar stools, etc.).
    That's what I do for breakfast. I'll be damned if I'm forced to do it for lunch and dinner.......

I've also seen plenty of adult coats, helmets and gloves on chairs. How about we just say "everyone stop acting like a D Bag and have some consideration for those around you.". That should cover all bases regardless of age.

Nothing against kids, but they really don't belong in a bar, for a few reasons. I'd think the annex would work fine for families.

BYO to the Mad Taco while eating a Fat Daddy is the way to go!

I guess I'm going to have argue with you on this one, but I might be slightly subjective. I agree that kids shouldn't be sitting at Charlie O's in downtown Montpelier watching their dad pound a Bud Lite with a whiskey back. If that's your statement then I'm on board. However an Apres bar attached to the base of a mountain is a whole different ballgame. I'm also not talking about a "load up your kids in a car to drive to Slidebrook" to rifle down some brews kind of affair. I'm talking specifically about a place at the base of the hill where you kick off your boots, walk 50 feet and grab a beer before making the move home where you'll inevitably stay since you have a kid and won't be out with them late at night crowding that kind of bar scene.

Do you think because people have kids their needs change 100%? I mean maybe for some they do, but I haven't felt mine change a ton. I'm not asking someone at a bar to give up a seat because I have a kid. First come first serve. Won't even give them a funny glance like I might if someone is sitting on a bench doing nothing while I'm trying to boot them up. It's a bar. If you want a drink AND a chair get there early. Or late. When I walk in my kid doesn't sit for a while until the crowd thins and I can snag one. Until then I'm usually walking him around.

Do you think you're special and deserve a seat or a spot at a family mountain we all paid the same admission to get in (i.e. a ticket or pass) just because ypu're drinking beer. What about my wife who's pregnant and only drinking hot chocolate? Because she takes up a seat but is not spending a lot does she not deserve it because she got there first? If not by all means kick her out of. You deserve it. Tell her to get back in the kitchen anyways where she belongs. She probably got lost looking for the laundry room.

Again if we're talking a stand alone bar somewhere then I agree fully with you, but check your environment. I spend plenty at the bar in food and drinks. I have for some time and I'll continue to. If you want my seat then get there before me. If not and I'm not using it you can have it. That should be standard common courtesy whether you have a kid or not.

You can BYO at the Mad taco? They have a license and I thought that was a no-no in VT.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I guess I'm going to have argue with you on this one, but I might be slightly subjective. I agree that kids shouldn't be sitting at Charlie O's in downtown Montpelier watching their dad pound a Bud Lite with a whiskey back. If that's your statement then I'm on board. However an Apres bar attached to the base of a mountain is a whole different ballgame. I'm also not talking about a "load up your kids in a car to drive to Slidebrook" to rifle down some brews kind of affair. I'm talking specifically about a place at the base of the hill where you kick off your boots, walk 50 feet and grab a beer before making the move home where you'll inevitably stay since you have a kid and won't be out with them late at night crowding that kind of bar scene.

Do you think because people have kids their needs change 100%? I mean maybe for some they do, but I haven't felt mine change a ton. I'm not asking someone at a bar to give up a seat because I have a kid. First come first serve. Won't even give them a funny glance like I might if someone is sitting on a bench doing nothing while I'm trying to boot them up. It's a bar. If you want a drink AND a chair get there early. Or late. When I walk in my kid doesn't sit for a while until the crowd thins and I can snag one. Until then I'm usually walking him around.

Do you think you're special and deserve a seat or a spot at a family mountain we all paid the same admission to get in (i.e. a ticket or pass) just because ypu're drinking beer. What about my wife who's pregnant and only drinking hot chocolate? Because she takes up a seat but is not spending a lot does she not deserve it because she got there first? If not by all means kick her out of. You deserve it. Tell her to get back in the kitchen anyways where she belongs. She probably got lost looking for the laundry room.

Again if we're talking a stand alone bar somewhere then I agree fully with you, but check your environment. I spend plenty at the bar in food and drinks. I have for some time and I'll continue to. If you want my seat then get there before me. If not and I'm not using it you can have it. That should be standard common courtesy whether you have a kid or not.
    I agree.

Kids, grandmothers knitting, non-skiing wives, etc in the base lodge bar are part of apres skiing. Or at least it always has been part of it. If not for the families, a base lodge bar would be 95% guys in their 20's...all gawking at the 4 women in the place. I bring my kids in to loads of places in the Valley that would be considered a bar. Otherwise, there would be no place to dine out. I don't bring my kids to the CRP for the same reason I don't go in there...slow service.

The problem isn't that there are too many "un-bar-worthy" people taking up space in the CRP. The problem is that there isn't enough space, or servers, in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You can BYO at the Mad taco? They have a license and I thought that was a no-no in VT.
    I was using BYO as Buy Your Own since you can actually walk in and buy a beer. A little off humor. Anyway I love the Fat Daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I agree.

Kids, grandmothers knitting, non-skiing wives, etc in the base lodge bar are part of apres skiing. Or at least it always has been part of it. If not for the families, a base lodge bar would be 95% guys in their 20's...all gawking at the 4 women in the place. I bring my kids in to loads of places in the Valley that would be considered a bar. Otherwise, there would be no place to dine out. I don't bring my kids to the CRP for the same reason I don't go in there...slow service.

The problem isn't that there are too many "un-bar-worthy" people taking up space in the CRP. The problem is that there isn't enough space, or servers, in the pub.
    You are correct the problem is poor design. On another note I was at Stowe the other day changing in the old lodge. When I walked downstairs to hit the head I started to think how the lodge at SB would have more space if they had built a basement to the whole complex. I'm not in construction but I have heard that basement space is the cheapest space you can build. You could have put all the lockers, bathrooms, storage, ect down there while opening a lot of space for the stuff we have been talking about. Just a random thought!
    Last edited by angler; 04-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Well, I suppose we just disagree on this. Our kids are now of drinking age. We wouldn't have ever considered bringing them into a bar before that. "Check your environment"---CRP is a bar, no matter how you hedge it, and bars are for adults (and adult behavior). In many states, minors aren't allowed in bars (or, at least, the bar area of a pub). No, I don't think I'm special (I'm old enough to have disabused myself of that notion long ago!), but I do believe that, if children are nearby, some adult conversation isn't appropriate. Bar and restaurant rules have become more relaxed in the past 30 or so years, so I know I'm fighting a losing battle and I'll just have to accept that. Finally, I didn't suggest at all that adults aren't welcome, regardless of their chosen beverage.

From the time our kids were born we would go to any establishment and sit at the bar to eat and drink. We have done that since they were in car seats, still do it now and they seem to be ok. But heck thats coming from me so not sure how much validity you can ascribe to that.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I agree.

The place is too small for granny knitters and others to table sit when folks are standing around looking for a place to sit. And for me it's the obnoxious kids that run back and forth non stop bumping into people right and left. It's the other reason [the 1st is the food flat out sucked] we stopped going to the PTP, kids slamming balls into the pool table and running everywhere chasing each other while the parents sat in another area.

The Taco also has better beer on top of the better service.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    You are correct the problem is poor design. On another note I was at Stowe the other day changing in the old lodge. When I walked downstairs to hit the head I started to think how the lodge at SB would have more space if they had built a basement to the whole complex. I'm not in construction but I have heard that basement space is the cheapest space you can build. You could have put all the lockers, bathrooms, storage, ect down there while opening a lot of space for the stuff we have been talking about. Just a random thought!
    The basement is the floor were the boot room and the pub it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk