Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinvermont View Post
    With updates like this, the crowd issue will be resolved quickly.

*** Due to icing, the following lifts are delayed: Heaven's Gate, Castlerock, North Lynx, Summit, Northridge, and GMX. Super Bravo is on maintenance delay. Slide Brook is closed for the day. **
    The icing I get, it's nature but Bravo is down yet again.
    I understand the icing as well. What I don't understand is how do all the other surrounding ski areas not have the same problem today no one else is reporting those type of delays.

A Great Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    I understand the icing as well. What I don't understand is how do all the other surrounding ski areas not have the same problem today no one else is reporting those type of delays.
    In fairness while Stowe seems to have all lifts running, Kton shows many closed or on hold. MRG also has icing issues today on lifts and terrain.

In fact, many areas are struggling with icing. Magic just got their chair running at 12:30, and it's a fixed grip. With precip continuing, I would say that running a high speed would be more the exception than the rule today. I know we like to compare SB to the other stalwarts, but while I worked at SR, we struggled with icing just like the rest. There were plenty of days hiking from the top of the fixed grip Locke triple to Barker.

I am not leaving here any time soon. I have invested quite a bit as some of you know. But if my wife gets that big job at that small software company in Remond, WA, Crystal Mtn may become my new home. Just saying.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Thanks Howie! You made me laugh at this all over again. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post

Bravo opened briefly, then went down due to continued icing issues. I was not up that high, but from what I heard, continued icing at the top of Bravo accumulated on the chairs which prevented them from properly making it through the terminals. Gate House ran without any major issues since its summit elevation is lower than Bravo's. Valley House and other fixed grips operated normally since those chairs do not detach from the main haul rope and there was no icing concerns as far as operation of the lift goes. The trails they serve, though... that was another story. VH chair was cleared first when it became apparent Bravo would be delayed. With LM crews working on the base area detaches, this delayed the upper mtn. After all, you can't get to North Lynx without Gate House. Of course by 2:40, it all became moot when the thunder and lightning rolled in.

I just glanced at various other ski area snow reports from today and saw numerous delays or flat out closures. Smuggs appears to have gone "back in time" with their snow report, dated December 31, 1969. Bolton didn't even open today. K and Mt Snow both had delays. All these resorts are also forecasting anticipated delays tomorrow. So it's not just us. Be prepared in the AM.

If Stowe wasn't reporting delays, perhaps part of the reason is because gondola cabins can be kept off the line at night so their grips don't ice up. No idea if this is actually done. Could apply to Killington's gondolas as well. And I believe reading in a PR when they replaced the Fourrunner Quad at Stowe that the chairs can be taken off the mainline at night and the rope run to prevent icing. Perhaps that's what was done. Luckily these icing events are the exception, not the norm.

For those coming out tomorrow, be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Bravo opened briefly, then went down due to continued icing issues. I was not up that high, but from what I heard, continued icing at the top of Bravo accumulated on the chairs which prevented them from properly making it through the terminals. Gate House ran without any major issues since its summit elevation is lower than Bravo's. Valley House and other fixed grips operated normally since those chairs do not detach from the main haul rope and there was no icing concerns as far as operation of the lift goes. The trails they serve, though... that was another story. VH chair was cleared first when it became apparent Bravo would be delayed. With LM crews working on the base area detaches, this delayed the upper mtn. After all, you can't get to North Lynx without Gate House. Of course by 2:40, it all became moot when the thunder and lightning rolled in.

I just glanced at various other ski area snow reports from today and saw numerous delays or flat out closures. Smuggs appears to have gone "back in time" with their snow report, dated December 31, 1969. Bolton didn't even open today. K and Mt Snow both had delays. All these resorts are also forecasting anticipated delays tomorrow. So it's not just us. Be prepared in the AM.

If Stowe wasn't reporting delays, perhaps part of the reason is because gondola cabins can be kept off the line at night so their grips don't ice up. No idea if this is actually done. Could apply to Killington's gondolas as well. And I believe reading in a PR when they replaced the Fourrunner Quad at Stowe that the chairs can be taken off the mainline at night and the rope run to prevent icing. Perhaps that's what was done. Luckily these icing events are the exception, not the norm.

For those coming out tomorrow, be safe!
    What about the north ridge and gmx which appear to have a a structure to support chairs so they can be taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I am not leaving here any time soon. I have invested quite a bit as some of you know. But if my wife gets that big job at that small software company in Remond, WA, Crystal Mtn may become my new home. Just saying.
    If we have many more winters like this maybe you can buy a big house so we can visit and reminisce about the good old days at the bush. Just saying........

Were you anywhere in the vicinity during this event??? Have u skied the upper elevations since and actually been on the lifts? Because if u were, you wouldn't be posting stupid questions wondering why there were icing problems and intimating that it's the mtns fault. Go ski paradise and let us know if you find significant enough ice accretion for you to lay off the complaining about everything.

And fwiw- for someone who supposedly has been skiing northern vt for many years, you're pretty clueless about the variability of weather impacts among the ski areas. If you hadn't noticed, we can get a foot of snow while kton or Stowe get an inch and vice versa. Heck, there is often a difference between what happens at mt Ellen and lp and they r 2 miles apart. Earlier this season we, for the most part, dodged an icing event while Stowe got hit hard. Idk how much ice Stowe got this time, but it's not really relevant. There was a thick layer in the upper elevations here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbarka View Post
    Thanks Howie! You made me laugh at this all over again. Good job!
    Glad u enjoyed, but all credit goes to benski. I did nothing.

I definitely give the mountain a pass on icy days and windy days with withholds. Nothing the mountain can do on those days and it comes down to skier safety. As Howie said, if you are wondering if the ice reports are accurate allow me to assure you. They are.

Back to the original issue at hand though. Go look at Killington's condition report. Similar to ours about the ice, but notice anything different? They're turning the guns on again and blasting away to give skiers soft snow to take some turns on. I can guarantee very few soft turns at the Bush today and as the day progresses. That pretty much sums up my issue as it relates to the quantity side of the equation. Killington has their spring pass on sale now and I know quite a few SB season pass holders who bought one of those. That's money and revenue being spent down south as opposed to the valley on those weekends. Meanwhile our guns have been stored for the long term I'm sure. Can't be a water or air issue. It's finding the on switch.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Were you anywhere in the vicinity during this event??? Have u skied the upper elevations since and actually been on the lifts? Because if u were, you wouldn't be posting stupid questions wondering why there were icing problems and intimating that it's the mtns fault. Go ski paradise and let us know if you find significant enough ice accretion for you to lay off the complaining about everything.

And fwiw- for someone who supposedly has been skiing northern vt for many years, you're pretty clueless about the variability of weather impacts among the ski areas. If you hadn't noticed, we can get a foot of snow while kton or Stowe get an inch and vice versa. Heck, there is often a difference between what happens at mt Ellen and lp and they r 2 miles apart. Earlier this season we, for the most part, dodged an icing event while Stowe got hit hard. Idk how much ice Stowe got this time, but it's not really relevant. There was a thick layer in the upper elevations here.
    I find it interesting that you feel the need to attack me personally rather then to stay on the issue at end. Not one of my responses to any of your posts have I attempted to denigrate you. I have been more then respectful in all my posts on this board. Just because I don't turn a blind eye to what is happening or not happening at SB shouldn't be cause for you or others to be disrespectful or attacking towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Can't be a water or air issue. It's finding the on switch.
    You have to want to find the switch to turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    I definitely give the mountain a pass on icy days and windy days with withholds. Nothing the mountain can do on those days and it comes down to skier safety. As Howie said, if you are wondering if the ice reports are accurate allow me to assure you. They are.

Back to the original issue at hand though. Go look at Killington's condition report. Similar to ours about the ice, but notice anything different? They're turning the guns on again and blasting away to give skiers soft snow to take some turns on. I can guarantee very few soft turns at the Bush today and as the day progresses. That pretty much sums up my issue as it relates to the quantity side of the equation. Killington has their spring pass on sale now and I know quite a few SB season pass holders who bought one of those. That's money and revenue being spent down south as opposed to the valley on those weekends. Meanwhile our guns have been stored for the long term I'm sure. Can't be a water or air issue. It's finding the on switch.
    I think sugarbush does not plan on making snow after presidents day. I think they try to hit there the limit to the amount of snow they can make by presidents day.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to attack me personally rather then to stay on the issue at end. Not one of my responses to any of your posts have I attempted to denigrate you. I have been more then respectful in all my posts on this board. Just because I don't turn a blind eye to what is happening or not happening at SB shouldn't be cause for you or others to be disrespectful or attacking towards me.
    Sorry, but when u question why lifts had ice issues after this past event, you reveal that you don't know what you're talking about and just continuing your unrelenting attacks on the mtn. I wasn't attacking you personally, but the factual basis of your latest complaint.
    I skied sb this weekend, and was none too pleased that my wife/daughter had a week of fresh snow, great conditions and no crowds whilst I was at the office, only to be greeted by freezing fookin r#%^^n upon my arrival. On top of that, 2 of my best ski buddies were in jh and whistler, respectively, and getting dumped on. But I don't go blaming the management, nor crying in general about the unfortunate weather. When ullr gives lemons, make lemonade. I actually had some pretty good runs on ripcord, sunrise, sleeper and especially moonshine. And that was after sitting on ice encrusted lift chairs.