Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No snowmaking really?

Can someone please explain what the deal is with not being able to make snow because of power demands? Maybe they should take the gerbils off Heavens Gate lift and put them to work on the windmill so we can have power to make snow.

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    Can someone please explain what the deal is with not being able to make snow because of power demands? Maybe they should take the gerbils off Heavens Gate lift and put them to work on the windmill so we can have power to make snow.
    yes welcome to sugarbush there's 3 ft of ice on all there snow making trails there done for the season

Believe me, if we could be making snow, we'd be doing it. From my understanding, these cold temps recently have put a demand on the power grid. Kind of like what happens on really hot days during the summer.

We are still on call for snowmaking.... we're not done just yet.

I heard that power thing also. I have really never heard of this at any other ski area. Gonna have to do some digging on this one. I want have my facts straight on this one before I comment. At first glance it sounds like the infrastructure here in the valley is antiquated and needs to be upgraded. If that is the issue then there is not much we can do about that. All the more reason to upgrade the snowmaking system so we can blow more while we have power!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Power

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I heard that power thing also. I have really never heard of this at any other ski area. Gonna have to do some digging on this one. I want have my facts straight on this one before I comment. At first glance it sounds like the infrastructure here in the valley is antiquated and needs to be upgraded. If that is the issue then there is not much we can do about that. All the more reason to upgrade the snowmaking system so we can blow more while we have power!
    Just before Christmas, while waiting for HG to be fixed, we spent some time with Win, who was skiing and is seemingly always available to talk with SV customers, he said the new guns purchased use 85% less energy ( the new quiet ones) so unless they are fixed on place, I don't understand. If memory serves, he said it was lack of water resources - which makes some sense due to the dry Jan - he said they didn't even use all of the generation they have because these babies are so efficient.

Gotta be cash flow and budgetary limits - every business has 'em. When they are stuck to, they tend to keep the business in business even if they don't deliver for the customer on every level.

Typically, unless a large commercial electric user, pre-purchases electricity up front in bulk at a set rate, rates will escalate on an increased KW usage scale as more electricity is utilized.

Also, there may be additional surcharges due to all of the cold weather. I have seen all kinds of complaints on Sugarloaf Today regarding less snow making. And, the posts there seem to chalk it up to higher electricity payments. And, my recollection is that the Green Mountain Power system has endured reduced supply delivery issues in the past. Not really sure about the efficiency of they GMP electric delivery system in Vermont, and, in particular, in MRV or if this has any effect on snowmaking.

I suspect that there are many other influences here in play relating to snow making, between all of the up and down weather patterns, the cold, the ice , etc. We have had numerous equipment issues down here in Massachusetts due to the extreme cold with our Railroad engines/equipment. construction/snowplowing equipment, etc. We service all of our equipment, but everything is still breaking down in this extreme cold Polar Vortex.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I was told that they do not have enough air to make the quality of snow or amount compared to their direct competitors. Not sure if this is true or not but people close to the organization have said that before Win took over American Ski use to rent a couple air compressors to subsidize for the lack of air and they do not do that now (as they do not want to spend the money) so they are short on air which effects the quality of snow they make plus the amount? The lack of investment into the mountain when it comes to a pure riding and skiing experience is disappointing at best!

This past summer Bromley bought a generator and one of the reasons given was to be able to continue making snow when GMP curtailed electric usage. Though not an expert, from my conversations over the years, GMP curtails snowmaking power usage during extreme cold periods like this week to assure that people have power to heat their homes. Have to admit they have their priorities right, though why they haven't rectified the underlying issue is a valid question. So too is the question of why Sugarbush doesn't have a contingency plan like a generator.

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    So too is the question of why Sugarbush doesn't have a contingency plan like a generator.
    You can ask that question about a lot of things Sugarbush does when it comes to the on mountain experience!

This happens once or twice each year. on the snow report it said no snowmaking due to GMP not allowing them to pull the power they need off the grid. this is nothing new. it is only an issue this year again cause Ma nature has been a bitch with the freeze and thaw cycles. ASC used to rent generators early on and the capacity issues have existed since Win has chosen not to rent the generators each year. An a windmill won't help like some seem to think. Sugarbush relies alot on Ma Nature for the trails and this year she has not been to friendly. Either to hot or now too cold. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski View Post
    This happens once or twice each year. on the snow report it said no snowmaking due to GMP not allowing them to pull the power they need off the grid. this is nothing new. it is only an issue this year again cause Ma nature has been a bitch with the freeze and thaw cycles. ASC used to rent generators early on and the capacity issues have existed since Win has chosen not to rent the generators each year. An a windmill won't help like some seem to think. Sugarbush relies alot on Ma Nature for the trails and this year she has not been to friendly. Either to hot or now too cold. Just my 2 cents.
    The Windmill is a metaphor for the issue at hand. Like you said Sugarbush relies way to much on mother nature. With the past few years being example of that. In these times a mountain on the east coast needs to be able to create the snow experience for the end users. That means you need to be able to make quality snow in abundance. Without that you are a mom and pop mountain (in this case that charges high rent prices for lift tickets) that provides an average rider experience. Maybe its time for the ownership to rent compressors again, invest in quality snowmaking upgrade the gerbils that power the antiquated lift systems and get your own generator if needed so the experience for the rider is in concert for the prices they charge. Just a thought.......

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    I was told that they do not have enough air to make the quality of snow or amount compared to their direct competitors. Not sure if this is true or not but people close to the organization have said that before Win took over American Ski use to rent a couple air compressors to subsidize for the lack of air and they do not do that now (as they do not want to spend the money) so they are short on air which effects the quality of snow they make plus the amount? The lack of investment into the mountain when it comes to a pure riding and skiing experience is disappointing at best!
    This is not correct. See prior snowmaking discussions.

So if thats not the case where is the snowmaking?

Send it to Win