Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Jay, no one is saying that you guys don't work hard and do your job as you are directed. Snowmaking is hard work and I am sure you take pride int it. But with all due respect, you work for the mountain and you have only made snow at Sugarbush. Your perspecive is very narrow. Lots of people like me have both worked elsewhere and have seen really good operations. I have witnessed and experienced snowmaking at many resorts and what Sugarbush does for quantity and quality doesn't even come close. What people are mad about is that Sugarbush doesn't cirlcle back and hit trails again and agian as needed. Basically they can't because it cost to much. Much of the cost problem is the system it self. I am not going to comment any further but I am sure that many will disagree with many of your points. Sorry.
    Besides the fact that snow makers work hard I would dispute every point Jay made. All he needs to do is travel 35 miles or so and check out the snowing making at Stowe. It's night and day compared to the ice made here. It's sad but true this mountain has and still is going downhill.

If the comparison is continued to another power snowmaking hill, then SR is also night and day from SB. They continue to rework trails, pound the snowmaking and work on keeping the on hill product consistent regardless of what the weather does. It is simply a resource and horsepower issue. SR/Stowe/K have invested in the snowmaking to handle lean seasons and temp/weather fluctuation. In these types of weather situations, those places will always ski well.

Quote Originally Posted by ahm View Post
    If the comparison is continued to another power snowmaking hill, then SR is also night and day from SB. They continue to rework trails, pound the snowmaking and work on keeping the on hill product consistent regardless of what the weather does. It is simply a resource and horsepower issue. SR/Stowe/K have invested in the snowmaking to handle lean seasons and temp/weather fluctuation. In these types of weather situations, those places will always ski well.
    And Sunday River skiers are complaining abou snowmaking this year....

http://community.sundayriver.com/for...re-this-issues

Maybe "internet" based skiers are complaining, but the reality is the snowmaking is just fine at SR. Coverage is solid, grooming is at the usual SR "groom it all daily" approach. I have skied it probably 15 - 20 days so far this season and snowmaking seems about normal. When there are repeated rainers followed by below zero temps, snow will be rock hard and you'll need some edges. River coverage is what I would expect it to be.

Electricity & Mt. Snow

http://mountsnow.com/kellys-blog-whi...were-sleeping/

Interesting info on electricity from Mt. Snow blog.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    http://mountsnow.com/kellys-blog-whi...were-sleeping/

Interesting info on electricity from Mt. Snow blog.
    Good read, nice to see them being creative as well as being committed to making snow. Good for them!

They are showing a snowflake on Coffee Run on the report.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The snowmaking at Sugarbush is lackluster when compared to that of its peers. The snowmaking is inferior in both quantity and quality to comparable areas. The effect of this on the skier is individually interpreted: snowmaking may or may not be important to you. Your evaluation of a ski area may put more value on natural snow or alternatively you may hold snowmaking important for the consistency of season. Maybe you are somewhere in the middle. Regardless, I think anyone arguing that SB has great or even good snowmaking has a hard case to make.
    Last edited by Orca; 01-28-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Sorry Jay. You guys work hard for sure. Not on you guys. However the decisions higher up on when to make snow, how much and repairs to the infrastructure impact the quality of the snow made. Given the exact or similar conditions Stowe and K-Ton do it more often and, I'm sorry to say, much better. It's not even close. If they made the same snow we made then no one would be able to complain or blame the mountain. When compliments are made it is in comparison to years past here and meant to help morale. Honestly no one should be complaining to the snowmakers, concierge or lifties. You guys deserve the praise. It's cold out there and a lot of work to keep all of us on the mountain. It is honestly appreciated by all. Leadership should take responsibility for shortcomings.

On a positive note I guess I'm going to break down and buy my kid's pass for the $30. I can't really deny him that. Not even 2 years old yet, was skiing last weekend in the negatives (coldest he's done is -4) and has 9 days in already. Gotta buy that kid a lamented pass as a memento even though I think it's money grubbing (Guess two season passes purchased couldn't cover the plastic expenses. Plastics are trading high on the Nikkei right now. I feel ya SB). Maybe that $30 can go towards the power because we know with the massive crowds lately SB can't afford it. Surely setting a new record in skier visits (again) can't possibly have a positive effect on income. However my guess it goes to some nice crown molding at Ricebrook.

Sorry that's 4 fingers of Lagavulin talking. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    Surely setting a new record in skier visits (again) can't possibly have a positive effect on income. However my guess it goes to some nice crown molding at Ricebrook.

Sorry that's 4 fingers of Lagavulin talking. My bad.
    I will not comment on the Lagavulin, but the one thing that I will guaranty you is that the books on mountain operations and the Rice Brook construction project are 100% independent with two completely independent legal entities.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

It didn't take Google long to help me understand there's apparently more to drinking than Heady Topper and Lawson's Finest. Unlike discussions on these threads, most seem to be in agreement, here: http://www.amazon.com/Lagavulin-Scot...ews/B002TAEGHC Funny "Most Helpful Favorable Review" ("It'll turn you Scottish"). I wonder what it might do for my skiing prowess?

Well it was said in jest partially. I assume they keep separate operating books, but the profits flow up towards the same source.

Also taken out of context a bot. I was referring to my $30 for my kid's pass going to crown molding (though your comment on separate books is still relevant). It was just ball busting on the ridiculous practice. Not that increase skier visits pays for Ricebrook directly. Perhaps I should have went with the fact that last Saturday was pretty terrible and since they were giving out vouchers I should have my kid request one. It just didn't seem as funny though. I mean he's only 2. He doesn't even know what a voucher is.

It's just frustrating to see the mountain generating all of this revenue as a whole; increased visits, luxury condos installed, gouging children for laminated pictures (zing!), all of which reduce the experience we have. More user visits might be good for profits, but means longer lines for the rest of us (Not looking for people to brag here that you "need to know where to go." I know. I know. I've been to SB once or twice before) and then get comments like power is too expensive when the snow conditions are terrible and no snow is being made. Or to see so many lifts go down as of recently. (For North Ridge the word "recently" stretches back some years).

I love it, someone driving 3 hours to a second home drinking $70 a bottle scotch feeling "entitled" to free plastic for a free pass. Look around on your drive to and from the mountain and you'll likely see many folks worrying where the extra $30 they need for heat, in this extended cold spell, is going to come from.

Speaking of $30, it's 30 Thursday at north today and with the NRX down yet again you get what you pay for. Slide Brook is getting close to state inspection, so it might run this year.
    As Shady said, snowmaking resumed and a day was spent blowing around Bravo base, Coffee Run and the slick fest near Allyns. Woot Woot.

Bottom line is the management of this mountain sucks in almost all aspects. I miss my friends but Im glad I switched mountains this year!

Go Figure - While I appreciate your concerns on how I spend my money, they're mine. I won't trouble you of stories of my past and how I was on the $30 for heat end at one point of my life. If you want to start a different thread for hardships by all means. I'm sure others have plenty to add and are currently worse off than the lot of us here.

My point though is that while money grubbing on people and trying to raise profits how about pouring back into the mountain. Better snow, more lifts open, more trails ski-able (i.e. not sheets of bulletproof glass) That will make the lifts shorter for all of us, spread people on the mountain and make the overall experience better.

By the way if you know that Lagavulin costs $70 you've possibly bought a bottle before. Just saying. Could be wrong though. Any ways. Hey pot. This is kettle. I'm calling you out. Also I have an "opinion" of people who use the word "entitled", but I won't bother you with that as I'm sure you won't bother me with people who use the word "opinion".