Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sugarbush Files with USFS to upgrade VH to a Quad

This has certainly been rumored and discussed for years, but looks like they're making it official with this filing (actually announced on January 9). Plans say they'd like to do a fixed grip rather than high-speed quad, and also do some reconstruction at the top to allow for better traffic and less congestion there, which has been sorely needed for years.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...?project=43454

Apologies if this was posted already, looks pretty quiet around here...

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Nice! Other than the surprisingly good skiing despite weather challenges, this is something to keep the conversation lively! I'm migrating to southern NE this weekend...hope you have a great weekend at SB if you're skiing/riding. Keep it cold, Sugarbush!

Yup they are proposing a Quad. The scoping information says that the top of the lift will be below they existing location by 50' and that they will be revamping the Valley house traverse trail to work with this new location. I would imagine that the top of Steins and the Mall will be effected in some way. It says that they will widen the VH traverse by 10 to 20 feet for about 250 feet. It will be interesting to see. I also assume they will need to cut a new small connector trail over to Snowball from that location also. I wonder if that will impact Gangsta's. I have mixed emotions. Love the idea of the new lift but how much will it impact the Mall and Steins. At first take I will say thumbs up!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Hate to see the mall widened. But it's time to replace that lift and redo the intersection.

Also says starting point is the same. So VH lodge stays.

Good to see skiing improvements. Should we thank the Rice Brook owners

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    Hate to see the mall widened. But it's time to replace that lift and redo the intersection.

Also says starting point is the same. So VH lodge stays.

Good to see skiing improvements. Should we thank the Rice Brook owners
    Guys, this is all good news! Thx the ownership that the busy days Sugar Bravo base cluster will be eased. Sure, we can be concerned about opening up the top of Steins and Mall to more skiers who may not belong there. All change and progress has its issues.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Agreed, this is good news. When we see the line at bravo tomorrow on MLK Sat, we can think about a new VH quad!

Great news that solves several problems. I can't wait. I bet traffic on the traverse will drop quite a lot, since intermediates will be able to do laps on Snowball/Spring Fling/Racers edge without using Super Bravo. I'm impressed!

The capacity per chair is obviously doubled, but will the speed also be increased? And/or the # of chairs? I guess I am wondering about overall uphill capacity of a modern fixed grip quad. Does anyone know stats?

I guess you could compare to the summit quad.

http://www.skilifts.org/old/images/r...it/summit.html

Good resource for the every lift.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    Great news that solves several problems. I can't wait. I bet traffic on the traverse will drop quite a lot, since intermediates will be able to do laps on Snowball/Spring Fling/Racers edge without using Super Bravo. I'm impressed!
    Even after the replacement, I'd guess Valley House would remain as a weekend/backup lift, so I wouldn't expect traverse traffic to drop off. On [most] weekdays, there's no need to run both Bravo and VH. But perhaps it would capture more overflow crowd on those busy days, seeing as it will be a quad and new.

But I do indeed welcome anything that would make the VHT-top lift-SB intersection safer.

From the map provided, it looks like the only widening of The Mall would be at the way bottom, as the base terminal would be somewhat to the East of the current version. Looks like the summit terminal will be right at the crest of The Mall where it hits the VH Traverse. VHT would then be widened to the South to provide more room for people coming down the trail. They'll have to blast through that cliff right at/before the last turn on VHT before you hit VH double, but that's really the only card they can play with the topography.

Sort of bummed they didn't place the base terminal down below VH lodge, but the extra capacity will be much appreciated on weekends, holidays and wind hold days.

This a great great news. Exciting. No mixed feelings here. The erector set from 1960 needs to go.

As for speed, I have no idea how much faster a modern lift will be, but Pretty sure it's a lot faster than the old one.

I find it a real shame that they are not planning to extend it down to the base area.

Anybody know if they are talking about replacing the Village double at the same time? Would seem to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier View Post
    I find it a real shame that they are not planning to extend it down to the base area.
    I agree. Extend down to base area and rebuild the Valley House around it as a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSno View Post
    I agree. Extend down to base area and rebuild the Valley House around it as a novelty.
    I'd love to see that too but it appears they are committing to the valley house structure.