Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Don't suppose you could put a bend/angle in the line there to still make it come all the way down? A little detour to preserve the existing structure? Maybe a slight angle to the skiers left coming down the lift line. Not sure if there's enough room to or even where it woudl land for a line to be setup. That would really maximize it's use, especially for the crammed starts in the AM and post lunch.

Considering how crowded the base is right now, how do you think it will look with two separate lift lines and another lift base down there? ........And there you have the problem they are faced with. They really need to remove the maintenece building, the mushroom building and some of the other building just to have enough space to land the lift and have the lift lines and allow traffice to move through. Since they are not going to do anything with the VH lodge any time soon, the senerio they have proposed is the best they can do for right now.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I'd love to see that too but it appears they are committing to the valley house structure.
    Save the money, build that lift that was planned at the top of Inverness and connect to MRG. Or just leave things the way they are... change is stupid. (let the rants begin....)

go over the top of it! Then extend it. Fill in flatten remove trees a bit down so it lands next to Clay Brook.

Funny or interesting as a side note to see we are claiming 1" new yesterday but Mad River is claiming 4-6 new and enough to re-open the main MT tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoods View Post
    Save the money, build that lift that was planned at the top of Inverness and connect to MRG. Or just leave things the way they are... change is stupid. (let the rants begin....)
    I dont know if you're joking, but i dont think there can be much debate that the vhd needs to be replaced. its pushing 60 years old.

Last weekend I was standing at the end of the Super Bravo corral and considered making the hike up to the VHD. I decided to wait the 20 minutes in line. I'd do the same if the lift is a fixed grip quad. Now, if there was a magic carpet alongside the Valley House to transport me, I do that in a heartbeat. I wonder if replacing the lift will alleviate base crowding as much as we hope.

It will as people will not ski down to Bravo when the see the line and jump on the new Quad. I think a magic carpet would be good to bring u up to it.

Yes a joke. The vh double needs to be replaced and that death funnel on top of the mall needs attention for sure. But.. Obvious culture clashes aside.... It is a cool thought.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski View Post
    It will as people will not ski down to Bravo when the see the line and jump on the new Quad. I think a magic carpet would be good to bring u up to it.
    Someday this issue will be resolved. It is walking up the hill carrying ski equipment that is the issue for many SBushers. Although I do not see why this is such a difficult task in doing so as we are all out there for both the thrills and the exercise. But, installation of a vernicular should allow all to successfully get up the hill to the new VH quad. After all, we do not want anybody falling off of a magic carpet ride.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I am sorry but I always walk up to the double when the line is long. I personally do not see the issue but that is me. I like walking. We will have all kinds of time to talk about this. Even though they filed with the Forest service, I don't think they have filed with the town. Also if they were going to get this done this summer they would have to start the bidding and purchasing of the equipment and installation. I have heard nothing on this.

For me, the walk up hill does not have much to do with it either. I am more concerned about how long the line is and how long the lift ride takes. I still think they could put in a HSQ or HSTriple and not have any effect on the amount of skier traffic in that area. ON a busy Saturday - when they are running the double and your have all the traversers from SB - this easily = the same amount of skier traffic you would have from a HSQ. If they put in a HSQ, people would have much less of on issue with the walk up hill and there would be a lot less people in line at Bravo.

If the fixed quad is a lot cheaper and means more investment elsewhere, works for me. Also, a HSQ is just too many people on too few trails over there. The beauty of Sugarbush is the lack of crowded trails.

I think there used to be a magic carpet to the Valley House, maybe 15 years ago? I agree it's somewhat silly for adult skiers, but it would help young Blazer kids going up there. Also, if VH is to remain and be part of the lunch and apres scene again, it would help. Non-skiing spouses would be more likely to head up to Wunderbar. We could re-open the Mushroom. The storage lockers there would be more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    For me, the walk up hill does not have much to do with it either. I am more concerned about how long the line is and how long the lift ride takes. I still think they could put in a HSQ or HSTriple and not have any effect on the amount of skier traffic in that area. ON a busy Saturday - when they are running the double and your have all the traversers from SB - this easily = the same amount of skier traffic you would have from a HSQ. If they put in a HSQ, people would have much less of on issue with the walk up hill and there would be a lot less people in line at Bravo.
    I assume the a HSQ is a larger investment than a FGQ. But, maybe they want to have better safety controls over what is still going to be a pretty tight get off of the lift area at the top of the new chair. I am OK with the FGQ. would rather see an investment to replace the HG triple with a new HSQ
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

High speed quads are way more expensive, are more susceptible to wind, Ice and lift closures and would put way to many people on those trails. You calculation on number of skiers from the double and Bravo traverse is not correct. The double is 450 skiers per hour and less than 1/3 of skies go that way from Bravo which is reported to be about 2000 skiers per hour so let’s say 666 skiers. That is a little over 1100 sph. A new HSQ can move up to 2500 skiers per hour. I cannot see the traffic being the same. Let’s stick with a fixed grip quad or triple please.

There is no need for a hsq either in terms of capacity or speed up the hill. Its not a long lift. frankly, i'm somewhat surprised that theyve chosen a quad instead of a triple. not that i'm complaining.

As far as timing goes, the application seemed to indicate they are ready to start the process this spring. I'd imagine that assuming they have the financing, its pretty easy to get the lift installed in the offseason.

personally, I wouldnt mind the walk as much if you could go directly to the lift without having to walk around the vh.