Thread: Kid's Passes

Kid's Passes

So my 22 month old has 7 days skiing this season. Not great I know and I've got to work on him quieting down his upper body in the bump lines, but he's not a bad kid so I cut him some slack.

Anyways, wifey and I both have season passes. He skis free. That's great. So I figure I'd swing in and try and get him a pass with his picture as a memento for his first season skiing and a reminder when he's older of his skiing lineage. Picture is snapped. "That will be $30 sir." Thanks but no.

I mean really for a piece of plastic and as season pass holders (both of us by the way. Not sure if I mentioned how much we spent. Also far from our first year as pass holders.) it's $30? If I loose my pass I don't think it costs me anything to replace it once a year. Can I just use my one freebie?

They said we could come in and get a printed ticket each day. So that's cheaper than printing out a one time pass? Heck I'd pay $5 or $10 for the plastic it's printed on. I get it. I'm nearly determined enough to go get a paper ticket each day he skis (Let's say 30 this season) and hope it ends up costing you more than it would have to print me off a nice souvenir pass. I mean I know it won't bankrupt you, but it's the principal behind it.

Who makes up these policies? "Hey awesome. Instead of you guys giving up on skiing this season as new parents you both bought passes. You're kid can ski free. We don't have to do that, but let's be honest we couldn't really charge you could we? Would you come at all if we did? Doubt it. So we know it actually makes us revenue. Oh you want a nice reminder that maybe the kid will look back on when he starts his adult life and family and chooses a mountain to obsess with? That will be $30."

I mean $30 isn't much sure. I spend that before I get my jacket off at the bar. But come on.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post
    So my 22 month old has 7 days skiing this season. Not great I know and I've got to work on him quieting down his upper body in the bump lines, but he's not a bad kid so I cut him some slack.

Anyways, wifey and I both have season passes. He skis free. That's great. So I figure I'd swing in and try and get him a pass with his picture as a memento for his first season skiing and a reminder when he's older of his skiing lineage. Picture is snapped. "That will be $30 sir." Thanks but no.

I mean really for a piece of plastic and as season pass holders (both of us by the way. Not sure if I mentioned how much we spent. Also far from our first year as pass holders.) it's $30? If I loose my pass I don't think it costs me anything to replace it once a year. Can I just use my one freebie?

They said we could come in and get a printed ticket each day. So that's cheaper than printing out a one time pass? Heck I'd pay $5 or $10 for the plastic it's printed on. I get it. I'm nearly determined enough to go get a paper ticket each day he skis (Let's say 30 this season) and hope it ends up costing you more than it would have to print me off a nice souvenir pass. I mean I know it won't bankrupt you, but it's the principal behind it.

Who makes up these policies? "Hey awesome. Instead of you guys giving up on skiing this season as new parents you both bought passes. You're kid can ski free. We don't have to do that, but let's be honest we couldn't really charge you could we? Would you come at all if we did? Doubt it. So we know it actually makes us revenue. Oh you want a nice reminder that maybe the kid will look back on when he starts his adult life and family and chooses a mountain to obsess with? That will be $30."

I mean $30 isn't much sure. I spend that before I get my jacket off at the bar. But come on.

/rant off
    That's weird. my kids had free passes for years and they never charged to get the card.

I see your issue. I got a pass for my dog and it was only $25 (donation) ! But, i think that technically you would have been able to get a "free" pass if you had purchased them together under the "get a free kid pass with an adult pass purchase" option. Sounds silly that you have to purchase something that is perceived as free but i think when my kids were under 6 that is what we did and we got the kid passes at no charge when we picked up ours.

I would think that there would be a way for anyone who did not check a box on a form for a free kids pass with purchase of season pass who has in fact a season pass to make an adjustment on it without a fee. If they're afraid I will all of a sudden show up with 45 kids to claim as mine and ski free I'm happy to bring in his passport to prove he's mine. Also anyone who wants to Also I would be insane to try and ski with any more kids than I need to. I was exhausted.

Seriously though this is a weak policy and in my mind a no brainer for SB to fix. You want a $5 processing fee for the 72 seconds and plastic it takes to do. By all means. But come on.

Also your dogs pass was cheaper Too funny. Maybe I can get my son to throw on a fake pair of dogs ears and say "woof" so I can get a $5 discount. Insane.

haha.. So what is your 22 month old really skiing?

Volkls.

Or did you mean which trails? So far he has magic carpet, the village double and as of 2 weekends ago Pushover under his belt. He was hoping for a CR run this weekend, but I've got to put my foot down. I'll wait until Rumble really sets up.

I have a 8 year old who gets a pass with my pass. When I told my six year old that he wasn't going to get his own pass because I wasn't going to spend $30 on it he cried.

Then he went home and made his own pass that he put on his coat. It actually came out a lot better than the sugarbush ones so all is good except i have to wait in line.

We will probably ski 25 times this year together, so that is 25 tickets to print out and a good 25 minutes or so of the ticket cashiers time over the season.

So multiply that by all the little kids you probably have a least one employee that spends the entire season printing out free tickets for the 6 and under crowd.....
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush View Post

/rant off
    this has been the mountain's policy for more than 30 yrs

So the mountain's policy for 30 years is some people get a free pass for their kids, others don't and it's cheaper to get a pass for a dog than it is a child? Also it's been $30 for the last 30 years? No inflation? 30 years ago that must have been like a real kick in the teeth.

My issue is not that they're charging something, but I figured it would have been miniscule to cover the expense. I.e. $5. $10 tops. After dropping some serious quid on 2 season passes rather than mail it in while the kid is young and take a few seasons off or just doing a few weekend trips it would have been a nice feel good feeling. I was petty excited to go in and get one for him.

Last Tracks - Sorry your kid cried about it,but pretty cool idea to work around. I'm not nearly as creative. I'll just complain about it here instead.