Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Up Hill Travel Policy

Why don't we have one? There are many ways to implement one that would significantly mitigate safety issues. Other mountains are doing it. Some ideas would be limit the hours it could be done... i.e, between 7 & 8:30AM before lifts open with specific routes.

There is a policy. Similar to "Don't ask Don't Tell". If you want the official one, your not going to like it. Use your head and be quiet about it.

As you were!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There is a policy. Similar to "Don't ask Don't Tell". If you want the official one, your not going to like it. Use your head and be quiet about it.

As you were!
    Hawk -

Easy on the attitude buddy. The guy was just asking a question. He knows what the current policy is,... He was just asking to possibly make the policy more clear + consistent - rather than the current policy of don't ask/tell.

I understand. it wasn't meant to be attitude.
    Here is the official policy from the website. I totally disagree with this as many other mountains allow unlimited uphill travel. That is why I responded that way.

Winter Uphill Travel Policy:
    Uphill travel is provided to ticket - or pass-holders in order to access open areas during operating hours. Uphill travel is provided via the lift system, except under special circumstances (i.e. lift mechanical failure or weather hold, or special events) when uphill travel may be provided by vehicles or by hiking or skinning.
    Hiking or skinning on designated trails is only permitted when specifically authorized by the Resort (these routes are only open when the weather and conditions permit).
    Unauthorized uphill travel inside or outside of daily winter operating hours is prohibited.

So follow the rules and have no fun.

personally i do not like getting yelled at or sneaking around, so I go to Mad River.

You can skin over at Mad River Glen any time the mountain is not open. but you probably know that. You can also skin up on the snowshoe trails, or closed trails (as far as I know... I doubt anyone cares).

Yeah, you can insert some comments about how awful the snow is there... for now

an uphill route at SB would be nice and I'd even pay for it.
    Last edited by pcampbell; 01-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    personally i do not like getting yelled at or sneaking around, so I go to Mad River.

You can skin over at Mad River Glen any time the mountain is not open. but you probably know that. You can also skin up on the snowshoe trails, or closed trails (as far as I know... I doubt anyone cares).

Yeah, you can insert some comments about how awful the snow is there... for now

an uphill route at SB would be nice and I'd even pay for it.
    I don't either.... but my better half especially does not like it... unfortunately, that is the way it is now. This years snow, or lack there of, has made this a bigger issue. I just think it is another way that people can enjoy the mountain. Skinning is getting more popular, so why not embrace it. I am a season pass holder at SB, kids are in Blazers, so popping over to MRG to skin is fine, but I would rather stay where I am.... especially now with the conditions (don't really have a choice).

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoods View Post
    I don't either.... but my better half especially does not like it... unfortunately, that is the way it is now. This years snow, or lack there of, has made this a bigger issue. I just think it is another way that people can enjoy the mountain. Skinning is getting more popular, so why not embrace it. I am a season pass holder at SB, kids are in Blazers, so popping over to MRG to skin is fine, but I would rather stay where I am.... especially now with the conditions (don't really have a choice).
    Well, even if they did adopt a policy that allowed some uphill travel, it wouldn't be during operating hours. So you're talking early am and evening.

Something productive might be to mock up a policy that did allow some skinning, and present it to management. Use some of the other mountains policies as models, and figure out the logistics for Sugarbush. For instance at South, groomers typically are not on the Gatehouse/North Lynx side until morning. So after closing you might suggest a route over there. Similarly for the morning, perhaps Racers Edge and Snowball would be allowed. The mountain would post online any variations from the normal groomer routine that would affect these trails. You'd buy a season pass that would explain all the rules and safety considerations. Write it up and present it to Win, maybe with a number of supporters having signed it.

This comes up every year. If you look back in the history of the message board, you can probably find the post where win explained the mountains philosophy. I think it has to do with liability and insurance but I am not sure. They are not going to change their minds to appease our minority group.

As a side note, there are all kinds of places to skin in the MRV. You just need to use your good judgement and seek them out. I will not devulge the locations on this board as that is the policy that should be employed. Just go out, use your common sense and get to it.

Last edited by pcampbell; 01-08-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This comes up every year. If you look back in the history of the message board, you can probably find the post where win explained the mountains philosophy. I think it has to do with liability and insurance but I am not sure. They are not going to change their minds to appease our minority group.

As a side note, there are all kinds of places to skin in the MRV. You just need to use your good judgement and seek them out. I will not devulge the locations on this board as that is the policy that should be employed. Just go out, use your common sense and get to it.
    I'll look for that... but, things change. They used to ban jumping at ski resorts... now they build 20 foot jumps and freestyle parks.

Keep on it MW. Maybe you will affect change. I will be the first to shake your hand. For now I will enjoy my solitude on the mountain.

Sunday River.....

Uphill Access Policy
    Sunday River allows skinning, snowshoeing, and other types of uphill travel at our resort. For the safety of everyone on the mountain, we ask that anyone participating in these activities adhere to the following guidelines. All uphill travel is done at each individual's own risk.

You must have a valid season pass or day ticket. If you do not intend to ride a lift at any point during the day, you can purchase an Uphill Access day ticket for $10.
    The suggested route of uphill travel is skiers right on Dream Maker from the South Ridge base area and Sunday Punch from the Barker Mountain base area.
    You may only travel on terrain that is designated as open on the trail report.
    You must ensure that you are visible to downhill traffic at all times.
    You may not leave Sunday River property to access the backcountry.
    You may not ski down the mountain prior to lifts opening at 9am midweek or 8am weekends and holidays.
    Ski Patrol clears the mountain of all guests and staff at the end of operating hours every day. If you are on the mountain at this time you will be required to ski down.
    Overnight stays on the mountain are not permitted.
    Ski Patrol reserves the right to close the mountain to these activities at any time due to severe weather, dangerous surface conditions, or other factors.
    Sledding is not permitted on any part of the mountain at any time.

Uphill at the River

SR is very supportive of uphill traffic and there has certainly been an increase in skiers and snowboarders skinning the hill in the last 3 years. Patrol is supportive as well recognizing that not only do skiers enjoy the uphill exercise, but understand that many backcountry skiers train for for their touring trips by using ski areas due to the consistent coverage. I for one, skin up the river on a weekly basis and certainly enjoy the management's welcoming support of this type of skiing. I am sure that in the not too distant future, SB will come around to embracing uphill traffic. As backcountry skiing explodes across the ski industry and more and more skiers take to skinning, it will be in the area's best interest to "join" in the fun.

Ask at the guest services. That's all I have to say about that.

Many major resorts have formal policies that welcome "uphilling"/skinning:
    http://www.ussma.org/resort-uphill-policies
    The irony of Sugarbush's anti-skinning attitude that it hosts one of the most prominent skinning races...