Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    I wanted to, but I was worried about having my pass pulled.

Well you know what they say about rules...... They are for people that follow rules. That was never my strong suit. Some times you gotta say WTF!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by sbskier View Post
    so when will the north ridge spin this year ?
    so when will the northridge chair spin again this year it seems to be down alot mt ellen isn't worth skiing without it

I, too, was disappointed that it wasn't running ("wind hold") this past Saturday. However, the skiing was outstanding on newly-opened natural trails, which were otherwise accessed by GMX and Summit. North Ridge indeed improves the uphill experience, but Mt. Ellen is always worth skiing, especially when the snow's good and the crowd's elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnoke View Post
    I, too, was disappointed that it wasn't running ("wind hold") this past Saturday. However, the skiing was outstanding on newly-opened natural trails, which were otherwise accessed by GMX and Summit. North Ridge indeed improves the uphill experience, but Mt. Ellen is always worth skiing, especially when the snow's good and the crowd's elsewhere.
    it is worth it but to ski the good stuff you need that lift and its only been open 5 or 6 days if that.I guess the 99% lift operation rate of the last few years left with then 60% of the lift maintenance dept left the mountain this year. The two best lifts on the mountain have been down or stopping alot this year. (heavensgate and northridge) hope this new lift maintenance dept can get it together.

Northridge's constant breakdowns are embarrassing. To not have it up and running for the 50th birthday is totally ridiculous.

They spend all this time and effort to spin the snow report everyday and they can't seem to keep the lifts spinning.

The parking lot was full yesterday.. Summit lift line was backed up to the Glen House.. The marketing team did a great job getting people there but when they got there sugarbush didn't deliver.

Stowe runs every lift every day. So does Smuggs, Mad River, and Jay. Why is it so hard to get Northridge running consistently?
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnoke View Post
    The trails off Summit are the same trails accessed by NR - pity it was down, but one could get the goods even though they had to ride two lifts - keeping the crowds ( what little there was until Lincoln folks came when they discovered North had more access and better snow) - it kept the trails in better condition because fewer were ready to go thru all that to get to Ex Woods or Ex itself - which skied marvelously Sat - all the way from the top to NS.

The entire place needs 12-24" of snow no doubt, and when it comes - cause it will come - it will open everything up. Most of us come here because we have more natural snow than many NE resorts. It's that simple.

They now can make better snow and more of it, but it is never going to be a K-Mart or Stowe - many of us need to get over that. ( Or go to those resorts) Sunrise was pretty amazing and barring a long-term thaw, that will have snow until late March with the whales they built.

The mountain does the best with what they have, and we'll always want more - we're Americans fercryinoutloud - but we have the best location and terrain and natural snow combo - Jay has more snow - but between MRG and Spring Fling, they can't match the terrain abundance. And I'm pretty sure we'll never have to deal with water park people trying to ski either. Skied there NYD - trees were ok actually - more base, but still slick under the 4 " of snow they got. Are there colder lifts than FLyer? I don't think so. . . . ski on.

The current state of the chairlifts is disappointing. NorthRidge is just the prime example as every year for the past decade, it suffers major problems that are simply not addressed every off-season. While I appreciate JWT's optimism, Mt. Ellen skis very poorly without NorthRidge as GMX and Summit involve too much traversing/run-out to ski a limited amount of vertical each run. I know many Bush regulars who refuse to go to Mt. Ellen as NorthRidge is so vital; yet, so unreliable. Yes, this preserves the snow; however, it is a questionable strategy to run a mountain.

Heaven's Gate also has a history of mechanical issues over the past few years. As such, it was no surprise Heaven's Gate was out for a long time this season. It is also a safe bet North Linx will continue to experience maintenence issues this season as well.

Hey--I am not saying I am switching to Stowe or Killington, nor would I ever want the Bush to become them. I know overhauling or replacing an existing lift is neither sexy nor will it increase skier visits. However, as far as the chairlifts go, I guess I am just looking to...... BE (a litte) BETTER HERE?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bumpcrasher View Post
    The current state of the chairlifts is disappointing. NorthRidge is just the prime example as every year for the past decade, it suffers major problems that are simply not addressed every off-season. While I appreciate JWT's optimism, Mt. Ellen skis very poorly without NorthRidge as GMX and Summit involve too much traversing/run-out to ski a limited amount of vertical each run. I know many Bush regulars who refuse to go to Mt. Ellen as NorthRidge is so vital; yet, so unreliable. Yes, this preserves the snow; however, it is a questionable strategy to run a mountain.

Heaven's Gate also has a history of mechanical issues over the past few years. As such, it was no surprise Heaven's Gate was out for a long time this season. It is also a safe bet North Linx will continue to experience maintenence issues this season as well.

Hey--I am not saying I am switching to Stowe or Killington, nor would I ever want the Bush to become them. I know overhauling or replacing an existing lift is neither sexy nor will it increase skier visits. However, as far as the chairlifts go, I guess I am just looking to...... BE (a litte) BETTER HERE?!?
    I dont think that is factually correct about the NRX the last few years. It was reliably running the last couple of years after they had it refurbished. that being said, if the nrx isnt running, im not skiing ME.
    and wasn't the issue this past weekend windhold and not mechanical???? I was at LP and the winds coming down the bravo were incredible. I had to brace myself walking down the stairs so I didnt get blown away. I never understand why anger is directed at management about windholds. Its not like they are saving any money not running the lift.

So, this country is in the midst of enduring a pretty rare and historic threatening weather freeze event that has resulted in 13 people dying over the past week of weather related events, 3400 cancelled flights today and thousands of people having no power in the midwest and now in the south.

Remember, it was not too long ago that we all had to deal with Irene and then with Sandy.

Skiing is a bonus that we all are lucky enough to be able to enjoy, but maybe we should all try to be just a little bit more thankful and a little bit less contrarian.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I dont think that is factually correct about the NRX the last few years. It was reliably running the last couple of years after they had it refurbished. that being said, if the nrx isnt running, im not skiing ME.
    and wasn't the issue this past weekend windhold and not mechanical???? I was at LP and the winds coming down the bravo were incredible. I had to brace myself walking down the stairs so I didnt get blown away. I never understand why anger is directed at management about windholds. Its not like they are saving any money not running the lift.
    the NRX has been on mechanical hold since Sunday NRX was only on windhold on sat

I was told by my people over at North that the issue with the NRx was a Control board was cooked and the replacement may take some time. I will confim this story. So I do not think that wind was the issue in this case.

Actually Howie I don't know which is worse. The constant bitching about things or the uninformed rosy colored glasses optimism that the management does no evil around here. I think that for the most part it lies somewhere in the middle. Depending on who you are, the importance of different items can vary. I could give some pretty good sound critisim of things as I have asked I ton of questions to people who work and have worked at the hill in various capacites. They are my friends and I value their opinions. I will not as people already know my opinions. I have come to understand that when you own a business, you do what you think is right and that is the end of it. I just hope that once the focus on the base area is completed they will turn to the infrastucture and Staff and work harder on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I was told by my people over at North that the issue with the NRx was a Control board was cooked and the replacement may take some time. I will confim this story. So I do not think that wind was the issue in this case.

Actually Howie I don't know which is worse. The constant bitching about things or the uninformed rosy colored glasses optimism that the management does no evil around here. I think that for the most part it lies somewhere in the middle. Depending on who you are, the importance of different items can vary. I could give some pretty good sound critisim of things as I have asked I ton of questions to people who work and have worked at the hill in various capacites. They are my friends and I value their opinions. I will not as people already know my opinions. I have come to understand that when you own a business, you do what you think is right and that is the end of it. I just hope that once the focus on the base area is completed they will turn to the infrastucture and Staff and work harder on that part.
    I also had heard that the reason the NRX was down prior to this weekend was a circuit board or some such thing, but that was resolved and this weekends issues were wind related. The fact of the matter is that the NRX was a mechanical disaster for a long time up until a few years ago when they refurbished it and since that time it had been reliable. Now that doesnt mean there arent going to be any mechanical issues. It happens. my complaint with regards to the lifts has 'nothing to do with NRX nor HG but that the valley house double needs to be replaced with a triple. sunday was another example when the bravo went on windhold.

and btw-its no coincidence that these major gripefests always seem to coincide with depressing weather.

The r_ _ _ & w_ _ _ words really suck........

Time to start s _ _ _ dancing!
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I'm going to do a steel pipe, fittings, valves and compressor dance. Get used to the new weather regim Stan or invest in a tuning machine and new skis.