Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Killington opened today at 1:30 so I guess they had better temps and won the marketing contest. BTW - I was there last year so we skiied together Dude.
    Bummer I missed you. It was a great treat last year. Awesome that K was able to open so early. Make sure to post a couple pics on Saturday for those of us less fortunate. Let the season begin!!!

Another option is Stowe. They claim to have purchased around 450 tower guns, 150 regular guns, and 20 fans in the past 2 years. They don't seem to be promising an early opening, but with all that new gear they may offer superior coverage.

It looks like you made the right decision to go to Killington Hawk. Temps look to be holding and snowmaking is still in progress. Unfortunately, Sunday River is not so fortunate. I have copied and pasted one of the most brutal and honest Mountain Reports I have seen in some time.

Today at Sunday River
    We’re still aiming to open tomorrow, but the weather has taken a turn for the worse. As such, we’re going to make the call tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. as to whether or now we can open, and here are the reasons why:

It’s much warmer than any of us expected, snowmaking has stopped, temperatures do not look favorable moving forward, leaving each and every one of us thinking: we’ll be damned if we go back on our word to you about tomorrow being opening day. If there was ever a testament to the dedication of our teams to you, it was illustrated just 20 minutes ago by 20 plus men boarding the Locke Mountain Triple. They weren’t going up to ski first tracks, they were going up there to physically move snow in time for tomorrow’s opening day. None of us are ready to admit defeat, but there’s a chance that we may.

So what does this mean? It means that despite our snowmaking efforts since Tuesday, we’ve made significant process, however there will be walking to the mid-station in addition to downloading to the base. It means that we’ll continue to make snow when we can, but it’s going to take a miracle to make the amount of snow most of you are used to expecting. It means that the coverage is variable, so when we say for advanced skiers and snowboarders only, we really really mean it. It means that opening day conditions are nowhere near our standards, despite even our best efforts. And finally, it means that even if we’re able to open tomorrow, we need to set some expectations.

So…if you’re looking for tremendous conditions and ample snow coverage—get ready for the most honest snow report assessment maybe, like, ever—this weekend isn’t for you. If you want to come up, check things out, ski a little, and check out our progress, come on up and say hello.

Keep thinking cold thoughts and we’ll continue to too. Tomorrow’s update will be here at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Sincerely,
    Team Snow

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    Another option is Stowe. They claim to have purchased around 450 tower guns, 150 regular guns, and 20 fans in the past 2 years. They don't seem to be promising an early opening, but with all that new gear they may offer superior coverage.
    I think Stowe, like sugarbush, doesn't play the first to open game. My understanding is that neither consider to even start making snow before 11/1 and then barring help from Mother Nature wont open till mid November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    It looks like you made the right decision to go to Killington Hawk. Temps look to be holding and snowmaking is still in progress. Unfortunately, Sunday River is not so fortunate. I have copied and pasted one of the most brutal and honest Mountain Reports I have seen in some time.

Today at Sunday River
    We’re still aiming to open tomorrow, but the weather has taken a turn for the worse. As such, we’re going to make the call tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. as to whether or now we can open, and here are the reasons why:

It’s much warmer than any of us expected, snowmaking has stopped, temperatures do not look favorable moving forward, leaving each and every one of us thinking: we’ll be damned if we go back on our word to you about tomorrow being opening day. If there was ever a testament to the dedication of our teams to you, it was illustrated just 20 minutes ago by 20 plus men boarding the Locke Mountain Triple. They weren’t going up to ski first tracks, they were going up there to physically move snow in time for tomorrow’s opening day. None of us are ready to admit defeat, but there’s a chance that we may.

So what does this mean? It means that despite our snowmaking efforts since Tuesday, we’ve made significant process, however there will be walking to the mid-station in addition to downloading to the base. It means that we’ll continue to make snow when we can, but it’s going to take a miracle to make the amount of snow most of you are used to expecting. It means that the coverage is variable, so when we say for advanced skiers and snowboarders only, we really really mean it. It means that opening day conditions are nowhere near our standards, despite even our best efforts. And finally, it means that even if we’re able to open tomorrow, we need to set some expectations.

So…if you’re looking for tremendous conditions and ample snow coverage—get ready for the most honest snow report assessment maybe, like, ever—this weekend isn’t for you. If you want to come up, check things out, ski a little, and check out our progress, come on up and say hello.

Keep thinking cold thoughts and we’ll continue to too. Tomorrow’s update will be here at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Sincerely,
    Team Snow
    Hence, why the other mountains don't rush into making snow in October. It appears the resources they expended in trying to beat kton, will be for naught. We are all anxious but shall have no wine before it's time.

Anyone Else Travel to Killington for Early Season?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Hence, why the other mountains don't rush into making snow in October. It appears the resources they expended in trying to beat kton, will be for naught. We are all anxious but shall have no wine before it's time.
    I completely agree. It's a pure business decision. If they want to undertake the incredible cost and risk of opening early season, good for them. It definitely helps jumpstart the season by bringing in revenue to surrounding businesses by filling hotel rooms and providing mouths to feed. It also puts seasonal workers back to work. Killington also has the benefit of being easily accessible from the major markets of Boston, NY/NJ, and to a lesser extent Albany. It's a basic case of supply vs demand, and early in the season, demand is very high and supply is very low. They have put their asses on the line to open and their risk should be rewarded. Knowing that snowmaking isn't cheap, and there could still be a warmup causing them to lose the snow, I think $49 is a fair price. No way would I pay that for the NRT midseason, but to work the jones out, I'm game.

Killington has a bunch of factors going for it when it comes to early season opening. Would it be awesome to have some early season at LP or ME? Yes. Will it happen? No, it's not their business plan. Do I have an excellent resort with a will to open early season an hour south of me? Yes. Will I give them business until SB opens? Yes. Am I complaining? No, I knew what I was getting when I moved to Sugarbush. Am I incredibly excited that the season is underway even though I'm not there to enjoy it? Absolutely.

Killington was actually 20% off with my Sugarbush pass. I guess there are also 2 for 1's out there if you sign up for the news letter. We skied Saturday for $39.
    I got a call from one of my buddys at Sunday River on Saturday morning. He was telling me not to waste my time coming. When I told him I was on the lift at Killington he laughed and said well played. They did ski over there but from all reports they just didn't have the temps to pound it out. I posted a small trip report on the other thred. Killington was very good with great coverage.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Good one Hawk. Was thinking of it all weekend as I toiled away.

I totally expected to see you Tree. I saw and skied with a few from the Bush. Good to see people and get out.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I should have been there today through wed, but I have to go back up to check on the renovations on the 7th, so I figured I would save the 9 hour drive for then. Really kicking myself in the ass since the long range forecast doesn't look desirable at all. Should have been there.

Sugarbush is nice and all, but when does it open ?
    K has been skiing for 3 weeks and they open SuperStar today.

Chomping at the bit ... and don't have reliable wheels.
    OK ... but No Fat Trackin'