Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer View Post
    lol...the easy answer is it's alot easier said than done. That building has been moved around the base area 4 times since ASC built it in the mid-90's as the sales office for the proposed Grand Summit Hotel. It was below VH lodge. When ASC decided not to build the hotel it was moved to north of GH Lodge, used as the Ticket/season pass office. When the LP developement came along it was moved to the temp area to the right of the big stairs where the Schoolhouse is. After the Farmhouse and the Schoolhouse was built it was moved to it's current location.

How would you propose to move it to the GH flat? Are you proposing food service up there? Just getting food, supplies and liquids uo to Allyns every morning is a hassle.

Compared to last century margins for most ski resorts are very thin. You need some sort of ROI if your going to spend a bunch of money.

In my mind the costs would be very prohibitive to moving that building up there plus the hassle of getting it up there.
    Well, it has been moved 4 times already - what was the ROI on those moves? It's certainly not generating any revenue in its current location next to the snowmkaing compressors. Presumably, the ROI would come from enhanced availability of F&B (reliably high margin) at a critical choke point for guests. As it is, GH lodge capacity is maxed out and surely overall demand is depressed somewhat by lack of availability of table space during busy weekends and holidays. Make F&B more easily available and accessible and you will increase aggregate demand.

Now the point about how to get food up there is certainly valid. Would presumably be on the back of a snowcat driving up Pushover or in part coming up the GH quad. But let's be honest here - it's not like we are talking about some sort of insurmountable engineering challenge. There are literally dozens and dozens of mid/upper mtn eateries at ski areas throughout the US, many of them with F&B offerings and logistical requirements far more extensive than those that exist at Allyn's Lodge, yet somehow they make it work. Why is SB any different?

Sunday River has a full service lodge providing full bathroom service, running water, TV, a full bar, and a full menu. That being said, I once had to pick up a bunch of frozen meatballs off the trail when a groomer ran over a box that had fallen off the delivery groomer. Logistical trouble? Yes. Unforeseen difficulties? Yes. Logistically impossible? No way!!!

I was replying to the OP, ie moving the old ski/school to the top of GH. Many resorts have mid mountain lodges, including the Bush but I feel safe in assuming most of then were built on site with parts being transported by a variety of methods, not taking a old building and moving it up a mountain.

I like the idea of the copter but who would catch the pieces on the way up as they fall to the ground. lol

There is not any ROI at it's current location but there aren't any costs either.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Well, it has been moved 4 times already - what was the ROI on those moves? It's certainly not generating any revenue in its current location next to the snowmkaing compressors. Presumably, the ROI would come from enhanced availability of F&B (reliably high margin) at a critical choke point for guests. As it is, GH lodge capacity is maxed out and surely overall demand is depressed somewhat by lack of availability of table space during busy weekends and holidays. Make F&B more easily available and accessible and you will increase aggregate demand.

Now the point about how to get food up there is certainly valid. Would presumably be on the back of a snowcat driving up Pushover or in part coming up the GH quad. But let's be honest here - it's not like we are talking about some sort of insurmountable engineering challenge. There are literally dozens and dozens of mid/upper mtn eateries at ski areas throughout the US, many of them with F&B offerings and logistical requirements far more extensive than those that exist at Allyn's Lodge, yet somehow they make it work. Why is SB any different?
    All true, but that building is too small to make any real difference. I'd be all for building a new mid Mtn lodge.

Now that the first phase of Rice Brook is done, does anyone know if the walkway in front of the Farmhouse will be extended over to it?

What the guys over at the site said was that for this winter they are not extending the walkway. That would be part of furture work or the next phase. That was just the opinion of one of the workers though. We looked into all of the first floor units. Finishes are coming along nicely. Most of them are all trimed out and painted and it looks like they are focusing on Cabinetry, flooring, hardware and appliances. I love the individual look of each unit and they all differ. Some have painted cabinets with glass fronts and I saw one with shaker style clear finshed maple and Cambria stone tops. Some have recycled exposed wood beams at the ceiling to give it a older style post and beam look. There are units that have hot tubs also. They are very nice looking indeed.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

What? South Village is not assessed for Village Road. Only Sugarbush and those properties along Village Road pay for it. But everyone pays taxes that improve the town roads. Village Road is not a town road.

Probably closer to $2 for a fixed grip quad. A detachable would be quite a bit more.