Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sugarbush VT has stopped

They updated the app for summer. Makes sense, orient to golf, zipline, etc. Funny part is when I go to conditions on my S3 I get "sugarbush VT has stopped". I guess it is slower than I thought up there this time of year

And for some reason, they never fixed the snow report link on the winter mobile site... Must be slow...

I'll be up sometime next month to see how slow it really is/check on the condo renovations...

They always talk about making resorts 4 season, but it seems easier said than done. What do you think the easiest thing would be to increase summer traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    They always talk about making resorts 4 season, but it seems easier said than done. What do you think the easiest thing would be to increase summer traffic?
    I'd think that somewhere near the top of the list would have to be a re-vamped and/or expanded SHARC. Also, something other resorts do is set-up week long summer adventure camps for the kiddies. Would enable Mom and Dad to book a week long trip while ensuring that the kids are kept dirty, busy and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    I'd think that somewhere near the top of the list would have to be a re-vamped and/or expanded SHARC. Also, something other resorts do is set-up week long summer adventure camps for the kiddies. Would enable Mom and Dad to book a week long trip while ensuring that the kids are kept dirty, busy and happy.
    Take a look at this link:

http://www.sugarbush.com/summer/camp...s-lessons/kids

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    They updated the app for summer.
    So I wondered what ever happened to my last day I trakked with the ap - Saturday May 4. It didn't track on the winter app. But there it is on the Summer App... 3 runs tracked on Stein's on the summer mountain biking & hiking map. Apparently, May 1 is the cutoff date between the two seasons of apps as far as tracking goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    They have plenty of great stuff for the kids in the summer.

The mtn biking and zip line are good. The mtn is not completely dead like it used to be. and they do plenty of weddings. I think they need something on the gatehouse side like a mtn coaster or water slides.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything like Jay Peak at Sugarbush. I think the development has gotten so far out of control there, that's it's lost any of that laid back feel I like so much.

However, I think everyone would like an updated SHARC. The entry to that place, for the quality of the experience and equipment is incredibly expensive. If it were immaculately maintained then it might be worth the monthly fee. That being said, there's a decent amount of space around the SHARC for other options. I think an updated SHARC facility with a small water park could drive a decent amount of people looking for a summer getaway. It could also add to those kid camps. Should it be full scale blow my mind type stuff? No, but why not give it a shot and see. You can always add to it from there. Plus, year round activities for everyone drives condo sales. Before we get to far ahead of ourselves, does it get warm enough for an outdoor water park? I would imagine it takes 80 degree days?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything like Jay Peak at Sugarbush. I think the development has gotten so far out of control there, that's it's lost any of that laid back feel I like so much.

However, I think everyone would like an updated SHARC. The entry to that place, for the quality of the experience and equipment is incredibly expensive. If it were immaculately maintained then it might be worth the monthly fee. That being said, there's a decent amount of space around the SHARC for other options. I think an updated SHARC facility with a small water park could drive a decent amount of people looking for a summer getaway. It could also add to those kid camps. Should it be full scale blow my mind type stuff? No, but why not give it a shot and see. You can always add to it from there. Plus, year round activities for everyone drives condo sales. Before we get to far ahead of ourselves, does it get warm enough for an outdoor water park? I would imagine it takes 80 degree days?
    I think a sharc rehab is a no brainier necessity. It is just not up to current standards.

As for the water park thing, I have heard from several non-skier friends interest in going to jay because of the water park. It is an added dimension for those looking for a destination vacation. It kind of insures the vacation against inclement weather/conditions. And it is great fun after a day of skiing. However, I was at jay this spring and the water park was crowded, despite its size. And this was not a big weekend or holiday. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it may be the kind of thing that needs to be huge to work at all and I'm not sure it would work at lp. IMHO, an upgraded sharc with some kind og big interesting pool, hot tubs etc. is the way to go.

Yeah, I would agree. I know that we all think that capital improvements on snowmaking, lifts, and a new Valley House lodge have been slow, but Win has done everything conservatively to insure that he is not over leveraged and can continue to grow. I believe that we will continue to see steady growth and improvements.

I have also heard great things about Jay and it's improvements, and it has truly become a destination area with the ice skating rink and the water park. However, I don't think that vision fits the MRV and I don't think that kind of capital exists in the MRV, whether that be through EB-5 or real estate sales. They are still trying to sell phase 1 Rice Brook condos. Personally, I would hate to see Sugarbush end up looking like an over developed amusement park like Jay is shaping up to be.

That being said, I agree with Howie that the SHARC needs to be updated, and when that happens, they can make it more appealing by adding some features and growing the experience. I believe that Win & Co. have been mum on SHARC upgrades, but with the continuing upscale evolution of Sugarbush's clientele, real estate, and amenities, I have to believe they have given some thought to it. Unfortunately, the SHARC stands as one of the last remaining ASC deferred maintenance blunders.

Yeah, I would agree. I know that we all think that capital improvements on snowmaking, lifts, and a new Valley House lodge have been slow, but Win has done everything conservatively to insure that he is not over leveraged and can continue to grow. I believe that we will continue to see steady growth and improvements.

I have also heard great things about Jay and it's improvements, and it has truly become a destination area with the ice skating rink and the water park. However, I don't think that vision fits the MRV and I don't think that kind of capital exists in the MRV, whether that be through EB-5 or real estate sales. They are still trying to sell phase 1 Rice Brook condos. Personally, I would hate to see Sugarbush end up looking like an over developed amusement park like Jay is shaping up to be.

That being said, I agree with Howie that the SHARC needs to be updated, and when that happens, they can make it more appealing by adding some features and growing the experience. I believe that Win & Co. have been mum on SHARC upgrades, but with the continuing upscale evolution of Sugarbush's clientele, real estate, and amenities, I have to believe they have given some thought to it. Unfortunately, the SHARC stands as one of the last remaining ASC deferred maintenance blunders.
    for the record, I dont think the capital improvements have been slow considering the economic environment since '07. and the history of the ski resort industry in this country is littered with tales of over indulgence in debt leading to a demise.

as for a skating rink, there were renderings of a renewed skatium in waitsfield floating around a couple years ago. imho, a skating rink should be somewhere at or about the LP base, preferably to tie in the base, sb village and an updated shark.

Howie, I don't think I meant "slow" so much as slow and steady, or measured. I know that the market has been rough, and that most of these improvements so far, after years of ASC neglect, are being paid out of the general operating fund, not from real estate sales. I think Win has done a great job with what he has been given.

I think that a great deal can be done to bring the LP base area together into a more cohesive base area that will draw people in and keep them there. I think the Rice Brook Project is a step in the right direction, and hopefully, a face lift for the Sugarbush Village will follow. With a new upscale maintained base area, a slightly renovated SB Village, and a renovated SHARC, I think it will solidify the base area offerings for years to come. I think it will be more of an addition for the winter crowd than add to summer growth, but it's a step in the right direction.

As for the skatium, I think it would be a benefit to SB just from the fact that it would add another winter activity, and SB would be better able to maintain it. I don't think it should or will become something like Jay, but I think something under a cheap done that can be 3 season like would make it more viable as well. Honestly though, a skate rink doesn't do anything for me, I just like the idea of being able to come up to my condo, walk around the base area, and have all my immediate needs taken care of. I don't mind going into Waitsfield, but sometimes I like being able to take a walk and have it all there for me.

Lastly, does anybody have a general idea as to the amount of skier visits SB and ME boast? I know it's increased almost every year since Win took over in '01, but at we talking 250k a year, 350k? Anybody have a general idea?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    They have plenty of great stuff for the kids in the summer.

The mtn biking and zip line are good. The mtn is not completely dead like it used to be. and they do plenty of weddings. I think they need something on the gatehouse side like a mtn coaster or water slides.
    basically the mountain with a alpine coaster and a water park would be this.
    http://www.mountaincreek.com/upload/...lo-rez_web.jpg

I thought that was a link to a page on there website with a map. They are also a ski area.

As Howie mentioned the Bush has alot of summer activities if you checked the website you would see that things don't open up until the end of June except for some special events. golfing and weddings then it goes to daily operations until Labor Day, then it's weekends only until Columbus Day weekend in Oct. Most resorts do still have an off-season between winter and summer activities. Maybe Jay has become an exception to that business model.

Until the kids get out of school and families start taking summer vacations things are pretty quiet around here.
    Last edited by ski_resort_observer; 06-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.