Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    what is the deal with the chic chocs? how long does it take to get there? is it worth the ride?

Howie: The deal with the chocs is this:

1. It is about 8 - 9 hrs from my house in ME
    2. It is only backcountry skiing & you can cat ski with ski chic chocs in a few areas, but not many
    3. It features numerous areas to ski: Mont Albert-patrollers wall, Hogsback, Blanc de la Montagna, Champs Mar and Mines Madeline
    4. The first 4 can be skied by staying in the Gite du Mont Albert huts or the Gite du Mont Albert (hotel), while Mines Madeline involves booking and skiing into the hut (13 km)
    5. It is some of the best eastern backcountry skiing around
    6. The Mines hut is an excellent hut and features 6 - 8 bowls that can all be easily accessed from the hut
    7. Hawk will not go because he spends too much time a SB
    8. It is totally worth the ride, I have had 3 trips there and all have been excellent
    9. I have a booking for Mine Madeline next March so I'll be back for #4 & teaching an AiARE level 1 on the trip.
    10. There is no avalanche forecasting at Mine Madeline, but with a good understanding of avalanches that should not be a concern.

That gives you the basic primer

Thanks. I've always been intrigued but its more than a schlep from NY. Do they got good snow?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Thanks. I've always been intrigued but its more than a schlep from NY. Do they got good snow?
    It gets incredible snow most winters. They are still snowmobiling in that area on a ton of snow as we speak. This pictuers was taken 2 days ago by some locals. Every time i have ridden by the base of the Chic Chocs there has been tons of snow. The moose won't get off the trails..

Attached Images Attached Images

So how is it looking for this weekend? The snow report is saying that it will be Steins only but I have reports that Ripchord and Organgrinder are still holding up well. Any Feedback? All I know is if the double is the only lift and it is free, the line is going to be out of control. Please let us know Win.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

And remember Hawk, you bought some touring gear and there are still some nice shots out there and haven't you really had enough of Steins and bush lifts?

I actually got out quite a bit and the rock isn't over yet so I might have the next couple of weeks to do some more. I am really liking the Scarpa Maestrale / Dynafit Radical / K2 sideshow combo. BTW thanks for your guidence on the products.

This weekend is more about Friends and Fun than skiing but skiing will still be fun. It's a different world for me in the spring. I am not sure if you know but I came from a freestyle background and still like to mash some bumps in the spring to prove to myself that I can still keep up with the young guns. Next year is a different story. We have a hut to hut in Idahoe on tap most likely and if not, it's a backcounty tour session out of Driggs, ID with my relocated freind. That and a bunch of tours in the northern VT woods. I got myself a new and experienced guide that is going to show me Hidden VT as he calls it.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!