Bush Alternative

I have a visiting boarder of dubious ability coming up. We'll be here at the Bush Thu/Fri but they have asked about 'other places in VT' for Saturday. Let me begin by saying, I do not ride on Saturdays (even when I had a full pass) unless there is 2 feet of fresh. Crowds and yahoos = danger and generally an unpleasant obstacle course.

So... where would you guys recommend, say an hour-ish drive, that isn't a total zoo on a Saturday that would be ok for a beginner boarder too?

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Pico or Smuggs
    I had to add Smuggs because the website won't let you only enter 4 letters, funny.

Mt. Ellen!!! no crowds on March Saturdays at Ellen!! Really! and if you think Saturdays are bad at Sugarbush Dont go anywhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski View Post
    Pico or Smuggs
    I had to add Smuggs because the website won't let you only enter 4 letters, funny.
    Hmm.. I did at one time go to Smuggs.. had one of those discount cards w/ free days after 3/1. Always was fun going the backwoods roads.

Any others? Jay a little further and eventhough our FrencihCanadian friends seem to be at Sugarbush this week, I'd rather avoid the cram on a Saturday. I've never been to Burke, is that worth the drive?

Stay at Mellen

Quote Originally Posted by beelze View Post
    Hmm.. I did at one time go to Smuggs.. had one of those discount cards w/ free days after 3/1. Always was fun going the backwoods roads.

Any others? Jay a little further and eventhough our FrencihCanadian friends seem to be at Sugarbush this week, I'd rather avoid the cram on a Saturday. I've never been to Burke, is that worth the drive?
    Vonski is correct - you've' been spoiled and it will be too late if you drive an hour, pay $70, and stand in line. Won't happen at North. Even South now - the masses are not as excited once March gets here, although this year has been the most consistent high traffic ( Souith) I've seen in 30 yrs.

Better bet if a beginner - $25 Sunny D lift ticket - I took my youngest daughter's friend a few weeks ago - $52 for rentals and a SD lift! Great deal.

If he wants to wear big boy panties then a full North pass will give him Northstar and even Rim Run.

Burke? great terrain( backside ) and uncrowded and close to 1.5 hr drive. A Jay property now too.

Go to Bolton. It is only a half hour away and the place is very cool. It is a way better option than Ellen.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

My personal pref is to avoid Saturdays anywhere, his is to 'go somewhere else' as he has never been anywhere other than Sugarbush in his limited snowboarding (2 or 3 days a year). Burke apparently has a reduced rate if you show up with another mountain's pass. The drive though, yeah a bit of a hike. Will depend on previous night bourbon consumption.

I always figured Bolton would be pretty crowded on a weekend but yeah could consider that too.. certainly the closest.

Looks like Mt Snow is gonna get all the snow tonight