Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wunderbar

Wunderbar

No longer the great alternative lunch spot.

I guess too many people figured it out.

Been here an hour and 10 minutes and still waiting for food.

Hungry...

Mt ellen was great today. Service at the bar was superfast.

Re: Wunderbar

Usually do ME on Sat not Sun. LP was good skiing, but fairly busy for a Sun.

I think a number of some tour (mostly french speaking) all hit the wunderbar at the same time and overwhelmed the kitchen.

I'll give them credit for recognizing the issue and comping some food to try and compensate for what was not close to the expected or normal experience.

If the wonderbar is that successful, do we'll get the mushroom next year?....

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    If the wonderbar is that successful, do we'll get the mushroom next year?....
    I miss the Mushroom. There also used to be a large pub on the level where the bathrooms are located in the Valley House. The outline of the bar is visible in the carpet, and there are still plumbing stubs on the wall. Considering how packed the CRP still gets, and the clear success of the spruce up in the now busy Wunderbar, it seems like this room offers another straightforward low cost opportunity for renewal of an idle asset. Call it low hanging fruit. With all the "420s" flooding the resort, I think the younger Apres scene is ripe for the picking. There are more Millennials/Generation Y members than baby-boomers.

Imagine reviving that bar with PBRs on tap, pizza or burritos, extreme riding/skiing videos on the TVs, fashionable cocktails, and music playlists geared for Millennials/Generation Y.
    Last edited by southvillager; 03-04-2013 at 01:18 PM.

I think they called that bar the Wunderbar also back then. I had many a beer in that bar when the drinking age was 18 in VT and 21 in MA. I doubt that they will open another bar. It doesn't fit into the preplanned Budget. You know they have to meet their numbers.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Sorry about the wait. Yes, it has been discovered. The kitchen is not very large, so that can create a back log on a day like yesterday. Over the summer, we are going to be looking at expanding some F&B areas to deal with the really busy days. Snow does bring people out!

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Sorry about the wait. Yes, it has been discovered. The kitchen is not very large, so that can create a back log on a day like yesterday. Over the summer, we are going to be looking at expanding some F&B areas to deal with the really busy days. Snow does bring people out!
    Care to share what the possibilities are?
    Short of erecting a new structure, the current facilities are pretty much maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I miss the Mushroom. There also used to be a large pub on the level where the bathrooms are located in the Valley House. The outline of the bar is visible in the carpet, and there are still plumbing stubs on the wall. Considering how packed the CRP still gets, and the clear success of the spruce up in the now busy Wunderbar, it seems like this room offers another straightforward low cost opportunity for renewal of an idle asset. Call it low hanging fruit. With all the "420s" flooding the resort, I think the younger Apres scene is ripe for the picking. There are more Millennials/Generation Y members than baby-boomers.

Imagine reviving that bar with PBRs on tap, pizza or burritos, extreme riding/skiing videos on the TVs, fashionable cocktails, and music playlists geared for Millennials/Generation Y.
    You have my vote on that one. Not a Generation Y but avoid the dark, depressing CRP like the plague. Love hanging at the Wunderbar though and would welcome any other non basement like Pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xskier View Post
    You have my vote on that one. Not a Generation Y but avoid the dark, depressing CRP like the plague. Love hanging at the Wunderbar though and would welcome any other non basement like Pubs.
    why is the CRP "depressing"? I dont find it that way at all. Other than being too crowded, my only complaint is that the cell signal doesnt penetrate in there and there is no wifi signal. (and while we're on the topic, the wifi login procedure is absolutely unbearable).

anyone notice the multiple webcams now available? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    why is the CRP "depressing"? I don't find it that way at all. Other than being too crowded, my only complaint is that the cell signal doesn't penetrate in there and there is no wifi signal. (and while we're on the topic, the wifi login procedure is absolutely unbearable).

anyone notice the multiple webcams now available? Thank you.
    The wifi login hasn't even came up the last 10 times I tried to use the gatehouse wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Care to share what the possibilities are?
    Short of erecting a new structure, the current facilities are pretty much maxed out.
    Howie you are forgetting about the vh cafeteria the mushroom and the room on the floor of the vh bathrooms. the vh cafeteria needs a revamp the mood is depressing, the food is not good, and it cost the same as the gate house.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Howie you are forgetting about the vh cafeteria the mushroom and the room on the floor of the vh bathrooms.
    There is even a little tiny unused bar on a level up from the Mushroom (but lower than the bathroom level). I used to hang there in the '80s. I still like the VH, though it pales in comparison to the newer buildings, there is a certain appeal for me in that "old contemporary" style of base lodge.

Hopefully, the future retail component phase of the new Rice Brook complex will include a decent sized restaurant and bar to not only fill the need for additional eating and drinking choice at both lunch and après ski, but that it might also be leased/operated by a non-mountain owned operator in order to provide a real alternative and change of pace from the existing mountain choices.
    Last edited by gostan; 03-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I love the Wunderbar - it is my choice place to have lunch on a Saturday. You can not beat the service there,... no double top secret codes to get fast service. The bar tender (Emily) is a riot and has loads of energy. i would love to see the moutain put a few bucks into that building. The views/lighting/high ceilings give the place a much more open feel than CRP - IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    I love the Wunderbar - it is my choice place to have lunch on a Saturday. You can not beat the service there,... no double top secret codes to get fast service. The bar tender (Emily) is a riot and has loads of energy. i would love to see the moutain put a few bucks into that building. The views/lighting/high ceilings give the place a much more open feel than CRP - IMHO.
    I dont know about putting real money into that structure. Its not that i dont like it, it just seems to me to be very disjointed such that the bang for the buck isnt there, not to mention that its old and doesnt seem to have good bones. The bar area outside the mushroom is a good example. At best it can fit 10-15 people. Not even worth having a bartender let alone fixing it up. I've always favored the original plan of knocking the vh down.

Whats interesting is how the base will change when the rice brook is completed. Hopefully it will connect the base to sb village in a meaningful way. Not only will some traffic by drawn to rice brook, but also into the eating/drinking establishments in the village. As it stands now, no one goes into the village during the ski day. When rice brook is open and there is an attractive walk/ski path between the base and the village, traffic should be more spread out. And that opens up 2 bar/restaurants, a deli and pizza shop to the lunch crowd.