Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wunderbar

There is definitely under-utilized space in VH for beverage. Mushroom and Wunderbar have the best views. As long as VH isn't leveled for a new lift, might as well make better use of the space. Not sure there is any under-utilized kitchen space for food though. That is harder to solve. Closest I can think of is Pine Tree Pub or Chez-Henri but that's not owned by the mtn and a little further than most want to go.

A stair case going up that hill to the valley house would be very helpful in getting people to eat there.

I thought that VH was originally going to be torn down, but that it has hung on in survival mode (it is a pit) only because there is no other place to house the ski instructors and because Gatehouse & CRP are a design disaster to to their inadequate people capacity - especially with the uptick in skier visits this season. It is difficult to understand how this could have happened with three new buildngs having been constructed so recently and how it can continue for too much longer. Maybe Rice Brook will connect the main mountain to the village and act as a people safety valve during rush hours.

Sure, the ski product is most important to all of us here on this forum, but the on mountain lodge and dining experiences are what most day ticket purchasers remember. If I were a day ticket purchaser, I would definitely not return after having to stand around in Gatehouse for 20 minutes looking for a chair for my friends and family to sit and eat on a Saturday (& Saturdays and holiday weekends are the peak of these crowds)

Unfortunately, this lack of adequate on mountain amenities causes me to plan an 11ish lunch on the run or at Allyn's and a 3ish stop at Timbers or off mountain.

I will say that mountain ownership & management have done a lot of great things to bring the skiers to SB and improve our skiing experiences with snowmaking and skiing that have been great this season albeit without the benefit of some really big snow dumps. And a big thx for the additional webcams.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Sure, the ski product is most important to all of us here on this forum, but the on mountain lodge and dining experiences are what most day ticket purchasers remember. If I were a day ticket purchaser, I would definitely not return after having to stand around in Gatehouse for 20 minutes looking for a chair for my friends and family to sit and eat on a Saturday (& Saturdays and holiday weekends are the peak of these crowds).
    I agree, this is a very important point. The resort spends quite a lot of money on marketing to bring these new people to the mountain, and I am sure that management understands that they only get one chance at a first impression. No seats in the lodge, and super-double-secret beer ordering systems don't fly for these folks.

I often fail at my attempts to spend money at the resort, so I give up and go home. Imagine the impact on a 1st timer.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    I agree, this is a very important point. The resort spends quite a lot of money on marketing to bring these new people to the mountain, and I am sure that management understands that they only get one chance at a first impression. No seats in the lodge, and super-double-secret beer ordering systems don't fly for these folks.

I often fail at my attempts to spend money at the resort, so I give up and go home. Imagine the impact on a 1st timer.
    I think we've all been saying the same thing for last few seasons which is that there is a serious deficiency in cafeteria space during peak hours. It has gotten to the point that it is that way every weekend day, not just holidays. if I recall correctly the farmhouse was initially planned to have a cafeteria but that was scrapped. That was probably a mistake that needs to be addressed. There isnt even enough room in the GH for all the blazer kids.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    The "upgrade" last year to the Wunderbar, by adding Emily and staff was fabulous. It was easy to ski to, easy to get a beer quickly, the service was fast and efficient and the food is good. It is still much easier to get served at the Wunderbar than at CRP but since the secret got out, it is tough to get a quick beer.
    As several of the previous posts mentioned, there is a lot of money left on the table by not being able to get "a quick beer". Most day ticket people, want to fly in a for a beer or two then head back out. Some will enjoy it enough to stay and have some food. I usually try to be a good mountain ambassador and talk to everyone of the chair lifts. This year, lots of "complaints" about how hard it is to get a beer. I get queasy when people mention that this isn't an issue at K-mart. I think we need them to spend their money and faster with Sugarbush.
    So here are my simple suggestions to solve the basic issue of getting a quick beer at Sugarbush:
    Add the beer stand back in the Gate house. Last year this got a lot of use, there usually was a short line, and customers get serviced in fair order which is very, very important! I'd not add it at the entry though, maybe move it to the room by the doors to the patio.
    Add a keg of switchback to the corner in the CRP. Cash only. I bet the CRP doubles its beer sales. I understand that to support waitstaff you need customers sitting and ordering beers through wait staff, but it is much more organized and timely (usually) to just get in the "beer only" line. Again, it is a fair service model. People behind you are not getting their beer ahead of you which can happen at a crowed bar. People gt angry and just leave. Not good service model, there.
    Spring time, they usually light up the grill outdoors and put a few taps out there. Maybe do the same on busy saturdays. Lots of people still use the patio, even on cold and snowy days during the busy times. I'll bet they drink beer too.
    Certainly adding taps to the Mushroom would help. Create a "beer room". Not serving food, since you can go upstairs, will make getting a quick beer easy.
    Seems like a tap of switchback somewhere near the base of North lynx chair and a couple picnic tables would get used extensively.
    I'm not sure how to improve Wunderbar without making the place double in size? Love the views, love having ski videos on, and love skiing down the 200 ft after the lifts shut down. One of my favorite parts of the day.
    That is it for now. I think these simple additions will significantly help the bottom line, improve the customer experience, and get more return visits.
    Brew Ski

p.s. A tap at the exit from Slidebrook for the ride on the bus during late March and early April would also draw a net gain I'm guessing. I also was thinking about something like the girl in a golf cart that drives around the golf courses selling beer and hot dogs. A person driving a sled, randomly driving up and down lower Jester selling beer in cans would be very cool, and unique indeed.

I completely agree with Brew Ski - just make it easier for me to spend money + drink more beer. (I love the idea of more beer taps all over the mountain. ) GHL has become a crazy place to be ALL weekend. An alternative to keep in mind is Timbers. last weekend I went there with my wife, sat at the bar and had a nice burger. It cost the same as what i would have spent in the GHL minus the craziness of 100's people. I think tearing down the VH would be a huge mistake - unless they plan on replacing it with something else.

I agree with the other posts here. Lunchtime has been unbearable, even at 11:30. Hasn't helped that Gatehouse went from a "no bags on the floor" policy to one that suggests it's better not to have bags on the floor. So now I'm cramped by the person in the chair behind me, as well as all the gear under my feet.

I also think I've drank more beer at home after skiing than I have on the mountain. Seems incredible / almost impossible to me, as there is nothing better than a couple of beers right after skiing. Used to hit Timbers for a quick couple and even that has been jammed up a few times.

I would support any methods to make beer more accessible on the mountain. Also would love a burrito shack next to the waffle hut, but now I'm clearly losing it...

At least we are all saving money by not hanging out at the mtn for F&B...

Brew is Right. Beer stands are the anwser in Castlerock, upstaris at GH, Downstaris at VH, the Mushroom, Mt. Ellen Lodge, etc. Also how about a new structure at the top of Gate house lift that is like Allyns Lodge that serves lunch. That big open space up there is calling for it. Also put tables and chairs in the big open space downstairs at VH for Additional seating. Open the mushroom again. there are so many options.

I still like my super duper top secret beer stand with the special wink and hand shake.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

or maybe a beer trough running continuously from the VH to the GH. Buy a season pass mug and just dip it in whenever. Kind of like willy wonka's chocolate river.

While we're at it, I don't see why they couldn't have beer dispensing drip system on the chairlifts. Like gerbils use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Brew is Right. Beer stands are the anwser in Castlerock, upstaris at GH, Downstaris at VH, the Mushroom, Mt. Ellen Lodge, etc. Also how about a new structure at the top of Gate house lift that is like Allyns Lodge that serves lunch. That big open space up there is calling for it. Also put tables and chairs in the big open space downstairs at VH for Additional seating. Open the mushroom again. there are so many options.

I still like my super duper top secret beer stand with the special wink and hand shake.
    If only I could get my wife to utter those first three words.....
    I agree that a waffle house/burrito house and a beer tap at the base of North Lynx lift would get plenty of use. OK, hot cocoa for the kids too. Even Disney serves beer in the park again. Also might serve the weddings at the top of Gate house lift during the summer months. I'd think a wedding party might enjoy a little picnic area up there during picture shoots while watching the sun set over Steins.

Also, a Magic Carpet that goes from the base up to Valley house would get more people to the Mushroom, when Win re-opens it as a "pub with a view"
    It isn't fun walking up the 100 ft while avoiding skiers in the flat light of 3:30-4pm. Just tuck it over near the Ski patrol area so it doesn't interfere with people coming down the Bravo lift line or skiing down from Valley house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    Does the SB Village offer an Après Ski options?
    Chez Henri, still the best F/B option on the mountain.