Why does Sugarbush call a Senior 70?

Why is it that Sugarbush classifies a senior as 70+ and almost every other area in New England classifies them as 65? Jay starts at 60. I skied Sugarbush for years and over the last five years have switched to Jay. I can get a season pass at Jay as a senior for $500 as opposed to paying $1,200 at Sugarbush. Is the number of trails and the so called glades worth that extra $700? I dont think so! So it will be another five years of skiing Jay for me, unless they come to their senses about the senior level age. Jay reduced its lift ticket price and seniors can ski for $30 midweek as opposed to $84 at Sugarbush. It certainly doesn't take $54 dollars of gas to drive past Sugarbush and go up to Jay.

Win, what is your thinking on the matter?

As an almost 64 year old year old, I do not buy into the following philosophy.

Old geezers have more disposable income and do not like to drive far to ski. Young dudes have less disposable income and do not mind driving far to ski/ride.
    Last edited by gostan; 01-31-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

I am 63 and ski alot more that younger people. Yes, you will say, "you own the mountain." You are right but I would still ski more, so my cost per day would be a great deal. The fact is that the new 65 is like the old 45. People are healthier, more active and living longer. My thinking is that our skier visits are growing so our pricing much be working. bernier39, you could have bought our quad pack in November and skied any day for $49. Love you Stan, but I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by bernier39 View Post
    Why is it that Sugarbush classifies a senior as 70+ and almost every other area in New England classifies them as 65? Jay starts at 60. I skied Sugarbush for years and over the last five years have switched to Jay. I can get a season pass at Jay as a senior for $500 as opposed to paying $1,200 at Sugarbush. Is the number of trails and the so called glades worth that extra $700? I dont think so! So it will be another five years of skiing Jay for me, unless they come to their senses about the senior level age. Jay reduced its lift ticket price and seniors can ski for $30 midweek as opposed to $84 at Sugarbush. It certainly doesn't take $54 dollars of gas to drive past Sugarbush and go up to Jay.

Win, what is your thinking on the matter?

$1200 for you at 65. $299 if your were 29.

Go figure, rofl.. Well thanks for your support all those years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    I am 63 and ski alot more that younger people. Yes, you will say, "you own the mountain." You are right but I would still ski more, so my cost per day would be a great deal. The fact is that the new 65 is like the old 45. People are healthier, more active and living longer. My thinking is that our skier visits are growing so our pricing much be working. bernier39, you could have bought our quad pack in November and skied any day for $49. Love you Stan, but I disagree.
    Win, if I owned the mountain I would likely duplicate your pricing structure. But since I do not, I prioritize my own self-interests. For what it is worth, our company owns/operates Edaville USA in Carver, MA and we charge all ticket holders $20 a tix, no matter what his or her age, for Day Out With Thomas. Children under 2 free. Our numbers hace increased dramatically and we are doubling our Thomas dates this year. So, I do understand what you say when you indicate that your pricing must be working. And, if we get two feet of snow, this weekend, many of us Seniors will reup now for next season! But, you will have to wait until next fall for the For Twenties to do so.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"