Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Febuary

Re: Febuary

Here's to a new and better month with massive snow and much cold!

is that snow I'm seeing on the webcam???

Cool Fine skiing and a beautiful day!

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Here's to a new and better month with massive snow and much cold!

is that snow I'm seeing on the webcam???
    With only a little natural snow help from Mother Nature, Sugarbush's Mt. Ops crews have done a beautiful job on snowmaking trails, whether groomed or ungroomed. The manmade snow is silky smooth and fun. Groomed runs today made the thaw/freeze cycle from only a few days ago a fleeting memory. The sun and scenery today were once again, dazzling. Any discussions recently about whether snowmaking was finished for the season were unnecessary. The cold temps that returned only as recently as Thursday have helped generate high-quality manmade on a wide array of trails...thankfully! It was needed, and it was delivered...with much-appreciated results. If you skied or snowboarded today, I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did. Food and beverage at Castlerock Pub was a perfect finishing touch. Josh's specials might have to become staples; and bar-staff know their craft!

Re: Re: Febuary

+1 - Kudos to mtn ops. Way better than I expected this w/e. Now lets hope we get some natural to get the rest of the mountain back.

what a pleasant surprise this weekend was. big thank you to the snowmakers and groomers. They made a lot of snow and it seemed to me to be of very good quality. had a lot of fun cruising and the kids were having a blast skiing the whales on snowball.
    I did venture on to one ungroomed trail on saturday, upper organgrinder, and it was "variable". there was a couple inches of light powder in spots. the other spots were well...not so good.

query-on saturday I noticed that on snowball there were ground guns going while the tower guns sat idle. I thought the latter were the more efficient, so I am wondering why they werent being utilized in favor of the older guns.

fwiw-I saw something I had never seen before yesterday on ripcord. I was going up heavens gate when I saw a skier, ski into the hose connected to a ground gun. she moved the hose knocking the gun over and then pulling the gun, still blasting snow mind you, around her. can't imagine that was too pleasant!

This is the week we turn things around!

I have to agree - Mtn. Opps did an incredible job getting the Mtn back into shape. It seemed every trail i skied had new snowmaking on it,... and it was the very "high quality" kind of snow - the dry stuff that feels like styrofoam under your skis. Yesterday was one of the betterdays in a long time - the mountain was empty, it was 25, sunny and no wind! i had a blast with my kids.

What was up with the crowds on Saturday - not what I was expecting given the cold weather. It seemed like there were a lot of Mad River people - given the area is closed.

Glad everyone is enjoying the snow we've been making. With the cold temps we've been having these past few days, we've been able to pump out a lot of snow. At times we have maxed out on water so that is part of the reason why the snow has been nice and silky. Regarding the towers vs land guns, on Snowball, our goal was to hit the skier's right side of the trail. Being its such a wide trail, the land gear enables us to stretch it out 75' from the hydrant side (on skier's left) to hit the right side. Then, come our last run of the night (~ 5-6am), we have to pull the gear back so its skiable, especially for the weekend. Plus, we have a lot more room to maneuver with the land gear, as far as the wind. If the wind changes direction with a tower, all the snow we're making goes right into the woods. With the land gear, we can work with the wind and turn the gun wherever we like.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Glad everyone is enjoying the snow we've been making. With the cold temps we've been having these past few days, we've been able to pump out a lot of snow. At times we have maxed out on water so that is part of the reason why the snow has been nice and silky. Regarding the towers vs land guns, on Snowball, our goal was to hit the skier's right side of the trail. Being its such a wide trail, the land gear enables us to stretch it out 75' from the hydrant side (on skier's left) to hit the right side. Then, come our last run of the night (~ 5-6am), we have to pull the gear back so its skiable, especially for the weekend. Plus, we have a lot more room to maneuver with the land gear, as far as the wind. If the wind changes direction with a tower, all the snow we're making goes right into the woods. With the land gear, we can work with the wind and turn the gun wherever we like.
    Thanks shady.

DANG!!!!!! Super sweet sunny afternoon laps on Inverness..................

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    Looks like some snow is coming too!!! Just what they need!!!
    This one is all over the place. National ABC news is calling for 1 to 2 feet in NE, but local Boston forecasters are calling for 6 to 12 inches in Boston with 3 -8 inches in northern NE. We need the southern storm to collide with the northern storm a bit further north. Bring it!
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    +1 - Kudos to mtn ops. Way better than I expected this w/e. Now lets hope we get some natural to get the rest of the mountain back.
    Any chance you'll be up Friday? I'm leaving on Thu. Give me a call. ; }

I hope the month gets renamed "Februbury." Storm for Friday and Saturday is huge for Boston -- latest model runs look better for the Bush as well. Up to 1.00 of qpf which if true, would be be something like 15-18 inches. Talk of 2-3 feet for Boston area. Warning -- could be a sharp cut-off of precip on fringes of storm (i.e Sugarbush) so keep expectations low.

Looks like an active week with the possibility for another coastal storm. Start your snow dances and sacrifices. The Mountain Ops have earned a reward for all of the work to make the mountain skiable.

Special Thanks to Mr. Smith for blowing snow on Steins in advance of the kids Castlerock Challenge.

I think we are in a decent spot. no whammies. we are making the executive decision that school will be cancelled friday and so are heading up thursday night.

boston area is going to get slammed. you folks better get out of there early.

I think we are in a decent spot. no whammies. we are making the executive decision that school will be cancelled friday and so are heading up thursday night.

Good move Howie. I plan on getting out of Beantown Thursday evening. Go north you still to be formed first snowstorm of February 2013
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Talking

Trying to convince wife of the same strategy. For your viewing pleasure -- big bucks, no whammies!!

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/Sto...otalSnow.shtml

Re: Re: Febuary

I'm starting to think about that same strategy. Skiladi - Not sure l'll be able to pull it off. Will call if I do.