Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re: Febuary

Just got back on Monday from my business/pleasure trip to Colorado. Last Wednesday, I watched in horror as the green blob on the weather map approached Sugarbush. Skiing around the mountain on Monday and today, I have to say how proud I am of our mountain team. Both our snowmakers and groomer have done an excellent job at both mountains. We will continue to make snow into the weekend, and the forecast for some reall accumulations is looking better and better. We still need close to a foot of snow to get everything open and to run the Slidebrook express. The snow we have had since last Thursday is very light and while it looks nice, it is nasty underneath. However, we are prepared to be 100% if Mother Nature cooperates.

We had a good time skiing at Beaver Creek, but we were on groomed trails only. They had some recent snow but their ytd totals are way behind out total here.

THINK SNOW and we will see you in the powder this weekend.

keep doing your snow dances

Arg.. hate to be a downer but just checked snow forecast and its dropped from about 12 mid mountain to only about 6 or 7 At the risk of violating some forum policy I'll put the http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sugarbush/6day/top link as I have no ties to them. Over the years they have been pretty accurate but damn I hope they are wrong for tomorrow. Better start dancing or sacraficing the small furry ones to Ullr!

And yes, the ops guys did a good job getting the groomers back in pretty good shape at Linc. Haven't hit Mt. E. yet this week, hope same there.

Quote Originally Posted by beelze View Post
    Arg.. hate to be a downer but just checked snow forecast and its dropped from about 12 mid mountain to only about 6 or 7 At the risk of violating some forum policy I'll put the http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sugarbush/6day/top link as I have no ties to them. Over the years they have been pretty accurate but damn I hope they are wrong for tomorrow. Better start dancing or sacraficing the small furry ones to Ullr!

And yes, the ops guys did a good job getting the groomers back in pretty good shape at Linc. Haven't hit Mt. E. yet this week, hope same there.
    Stay the course!

Low angle woods not so good today. Really little coverage. Looked at the Slide Brook entry but same story - at least another foot to cover the logs. Trails were great.

Agreed. Did a recon run into the woods and they are very thin. Otherwise a very enjoyable day. Still snowing lightly. Not Much accumulation.

We still need some wettish heavy snow to get a good base for the woods. That might be in the forecast this week.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    We still need some wettish heavy snow to get a good base for the woods. That might be in the forecast this week.
    your wish is my command. wet snow coming up. upslope fluff thereafter. and with any bit of luck, that may just be the appetizer. keeping an eye on the weekend.

Dont know that there is an answer. The woods i was referring to are not on map and south facing. The on map traverses through the woods i did were passable. I just think everyone needs to tread lightly in there. Hopefully by sunday this will be academic.

There has been an incredible amount of melt out in the woods at Sugarbush. In some places we were down to bare ground before the snow. I was also told that the snow we got last weekend was very light. Also I think your estimate of 1/2 the snow is a little off. I have skied both this year and I think that SR has just about the same amount on the ground at this point. I guess it all depends on where you ski in the wood. Like Howie says, we might not have to worry about it soon. Hopefully.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

this weekend? fingers crossed.
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I know SB is reporting somewhere in the 180" range, and SR has only received maybe 70-80"? They don't post their season total, but I would be incredibly surprised if its more than 1/2...

That being said, I hope none of us have to worry about it after this weekend!!!
    They didnt get the rain we got with the most recent thaw which virtually wiped out the snowpack.

Meanwhile, a bit dissapionted with todays weather results and forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Delaware ? View Post
    I'm not going to argue, but being as I was at SR during said rain/fog/heat wave, I can say that if SB did worse, then it must have been a monsoon. The damage was pretty bad across the board in New England.

I was just questioning why SB, with that much more snowfall was struggling with base when other mountains with far less snowfall seem to be in about the same shape.

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter, it is what it is. I'm just glad that it seems like winter is finally back. I'm hoping February continues along this path.
    I might be wrong, but iirc, sb got something like 2" of rain that night. it was a gulley gusher. I dont think they get nearly as much in maine.