Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The mountain post thaw. How is it?

Was up the 12th and 13th, and had a blast in the soft snow, however in the back of my mind I was dreading the thought of the post thaw conditions.

So now that it's cooled back down to seasonable conditions, just how bad is it? Sheer ice? I assume even with snowmaking and some small hits of natural snow, we're looking at dust on crust for a long while.

I welcome any reports and firsthand experience.

The trails with snowmaking held up well. Some will need resurfacing and we turned the snowmaking back on yesterday. With cooler temperatures up high we have first been resurfacing Ripcord, Upper Organgrinder, parts of Upper jester and Downspout. We will then focus on lower organgrinder. middle jester, snowball, spring fling and lower hot shot. For the weekend we will also make more snow on Stein's and possibly Murphy's. Over at ME Which Way. Mainsteram and Northstar are where the biggest needs are for snowmaking. The natural trails will need 6-12 inches on top of a very firm base will get them back in shape. Patrol is shovellling on Castlerock to get it prepped for the weekend and the snow that is going to fall.

Well that is a good honest anwser. Thank you. I guess this will hone my skills so I can be good an ready for Tahoe at the end of the month. See you all this weekend
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The mountain post thaw. How is it?

Some pretty good skiing today on the trails that have had snow making. I thought Heaven's Gate was the place to be, with RC my pick of the day with some bumps and whales from the snow making. Birch was fun as well. Tried one natural snow trail and the cover was way too thin. They are making a lot of snow and hopefully we will get some natural stuff to keep things interesting.

Haven't been out since last Friday, with the exception of snowmaking the past 2 nights. Where it is not groomed and no snowmaking has taken place, it's a little slick. It's getting better, but still firm underneath. We've been making quite a bit of snow on Lower OG and it should be in great shape once it's groomed out.

If you're coming up this weekend and haven't been up in a while, use caution on those natural trails. Twist and Moonshine, for example, had many bare spots the other day. Now they're covered up under about 3-4" of snow. A foot+ of new snow would put us in good shape again, 2'+ would be better.

Just keep all that in mind when venturing out, espec if you go into the woods.

With the wind holds and huge crowds, we did several skining advenures to the outback. The woods are very thin in places and with only a couple of inches of new to hide the uglies, lets just say it was technical and challanging at best. Please be careful when venturing out for your own sake.

On a side note, we were skinning up slidebrook and came across several snow boarders that went out there with no prior experience. They were looking for guidence. I almost sent them down to the brook on purpose but thought better of it. They had no Idea of what they were doing and just laughed it off. I pointed them in the right direction. I have been having this type of encounter alot this year. Maybe time for a rope at the top to ward off the casual snow rider. Just a thought.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The skiing on the trails with snowmaking is really good. Birch and Sunrise will be groomed our tonight as will Ripcord. We are blowing snow on Steins's all night and tomorrow, so there will be great skiiing under the guns tomorrow.

why no snowmaking love for Mt Ellen????

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
    why no snowmaking love for Mt Ellen????
    My thoughts exactly.............. snowmaking trails were showing some bare spots last weekend and needed some fresh surface.

We will be doing a bit more even though we have exceeded the amount we budget annually. At LP we are focused on the spring trails in order to keep going through April. The base we have everywhere is really good, and we are counting on February and March to provide the natural snowfall than normally comes in these months.

FWIW - snow making was in progress on Cliffs today

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    We will be doing a bit more even though we have exceeded the amount we budget annually. At LP we are focused on the spring trails in order to keep going through April. The base we have everywhere is really good, and we are counting on February and March to provide the natural snowfall than normally comes in these months.
    Thanks win. That's what I figured. It's just tough as a ME Plus passholder to see snowmaking on Ripcord, Steins, Spring Fling, etc when at ME there is much more limited options for soft snow (the new snow on Which Way was much appreciated). I remember in past recoveries that the snowmaking team would hit one side of Elbow and even snake a gun through the woods to hit the rocks on Bravo giving more options.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    FWIW - snow making was in progress on Cliffs today
    Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Hope to hit it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    You are kidding right? The amount of snow blown pre-Xmas week was hardly earth shattering and certainly not more than any other resort in VT or typical year. And then there was the 100 inches during and around the holidays... or was there? As noted by another, little attention to Mt. Ellen (as usual) but really, I've not seen that much going on at Lincoln either. A couple days off N. Lynx, Snowball and SFling busts whats left? And honestly, if I were a North only holder I would be fumed that you pumped your last dollars out on Steins - you didn't even cover up all the grass and dirt off the runout back to N.Ridge the last time there were guns on.

Working on the "spring trails" for April at the expense of Jan/Feb/Mar is .. crazy. Esepcially seeing we almost always hear about declining skier visits, the cost of being open in April, etc, etc. Arg! Blowing snow on Steins so there will be more slush on 4/14? Save the dough for the rest of *both* mountains for the places that need it now and in the next few weeks instead of gambling on lots of natural in Feb and Mar so a handful of people will have an extra w/e in April.

Quote Originally Posted by beelze View Post
    You are kidding right? The amount of snow blown pre-Xmas week was hardly earth shattering and certainly not more than any other resort in VT or typical year. And then there was the 100 inches during and around the holidays... or was there? As noted by another, little attention to Mt. Ellen (as usual) but really, I've not seen that much going on at Lincoln either. A couple days off N. Lynx, Snowball and SFling busts whats left? And honestly, if I were a North only holder I would be fumed that you pumped your last dollars out on Steins - you didn't even cover up all the grass and dirt off the runout back to N.Ridge the last time there were guns on.

Working on the "spring trails" for April at the expense of Jan/Feb/Mar is .. crazy. Esepcially seeing we almost always hear about declining skier visits, the cost of being open in April, etc, etc. Arg! Blowing snow on Steins so there will be more slush on 4/14? Save the dough for the rest of *both* mountains for the places that need it now and in the next few weeks instead of gambling on lots of natural in Feb and Mar so a handful of people will have an extra w/e in April.
    The spring trails need more base so there is a added bonus for making snow on those trails.

Beelze, you need better glasses.