The Avalanche At Tunnel Creek

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/?emc=na

A group of world class skiers and snowboarders set out to ski off the backside of Cowboy Mountain in the Cascades last February. Then the mountain moved.

John Branch's reconstruction of what happened to those 16 people that day in Washington State mixes words, graphics, video, photography, scientific simulations and emergency response recordings.

And much more........

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Absolutely amazing story. I knew Ron Pankey's dad here in Vermont and skied with him when he was a boy. I'd lost track of the family until now.

Great article, graphics and video. Must read.

Gonna hit it soon! On my way out to Steven's in early Jan for an AIARE instructor training course and then onto Baker. Have considered skiing the pass prior to the course and am assembling the beta. Clearly a dangerous spot and the panoramic view really shows the avi gullies in there. Not a place to go after a storm which was the biggest mistake of the group. Interesting statements on the violence that Saugstad experienced. I have recently purchased an airbag pack (Mammut Pro 35 L) moving from a BD covert 32 avilung that I have used since 2007. Am considering going back to my stand alone aviliung with my airbag just for situations where you might end up still slightly burried. It is a dangerous game no question. Enjoy the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ahm View Post
    Gonna hit it soon! On my way out to Steven's in early Jan for an AIARE instructor training course and then onto Baker. Have considered skiing the pass prior to the course and am assembling the beta. Clearly a dangerous spot and the panoramic view really shows the avi gullies in there. Not a place to go after a storm which was the biggest mistake of the group. Interesting statements on the violence that Saugstad experienced. I have recently purchased an airbag pack (Mammut Pro 35 L) moving from a BD covert 32 avilung that I have used since 2007. Am considering going back to my stand alone aviliung with my airbag just for situations where you might end up still slightly burried. It is a dangerous game no question. Enjoy the snow.
    Good to see a post from you , ahm. I remember when you got the avilung and you were getting used to breathing with it. Hope you never have to use that insurance policy. ; }