Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
A couple of things that I think you miss the mark with:
- In the end I realize that they will do what they do. This is my opinion and is constructive criticism based on my observations. These opinions come from watching a little known area go from a local’s only place to one of the biggest and widely visited areas in the east. I will not relocate anywhere else because of this "Flaw" in their philosophy as snowmaking is not the reason I came here. I just see something that can make this place so much better for the general skiing population.
- Grooming is not the answer for better surfaces especially when it rains on them. You have to resurface with new snow.
- People understand that the quality of the Snowmaking here is not that good. I know this because I have many skier friends (100+) at different mountains that refuse to come here or have stopped coming because of this. The common line is, "I will see you when it snows".
- The increased skier visits are a product of good marketing, good winters (sans last winter), great service and a great new village that got a lot of Press coverage. I would bet this has reached its peak.
- Snow quality it what brings new people and keeps them coming and hard core people are not the driving force for snow making. It's the beginner/Intermediates that love smooth silky blues.
- Snowmaking is Key to quick recovery and continuous great conditions. Our conditions this year have been OK but not that great comparatively. I’m not saying to open everything all at once and just pound the snow out. I am saying blow key trails and keep them pristine. Just a little faster and better. Not an enormous upgrade but a moderate one that gives us the ability to get it done nicely. It is the only thing that Sugarbush lacks to be the greatest.
- In the end that is what separates us and keeps us from getting over the hump. I love it here and relocated here for the snow from the sky, but refuse to stick my head in the sand. Saying we opened top to bottom day one is a joke. It was cold early this year and others did it better, with more trails and better conditions. Day ticket sales that could have paid for the snowmaking went to other places because no one expects SB to have good snowmaking. We need to change that perception to grow the resort to where management wants it. Frilly lodging and base lodges are not going to do that.
And you are right. No more going in circles. That will be my last piece on this subject.....this year. See you on the slopes dudes and dudets.

Look I love this place and only want what is best. If you said that you don't understand the value of snowmaking then fine. I can understand that people that have not seen it and watched the effect of it over time would not understand.

Kumbaya