Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiVideoGuy View Post
    "Live" lift/Trail Report - I don't know what the social media folks at SB think it's like to be from PA where it's raining and 47 degrees right now. Some people (me and I'm sure some others) get up in the morning, pour the coffee and get online. My routine includes the Snow Report, the webcam and the "Live" Lift/Trail Report. It's my way of living vicariously in VT through the website. If you are going to call it a "Live" lift/trail report then you need make it live. I'm sure you made snow somewhere in the past couple days but not according to the lift/trail report. No mention of snowmaking either in the Snow Report the past 2-3 days.

If you are going to have a webcam, how about actually using the pan/tilt/zoom functionality and point it somewhere different every couple hours. Takes somebody about 12 seconds to do that. Makes a world of difference to people 7 hours away who wish they were there. If you think the idea of a webcam has merit, then why not fully build out the concept and have another over at ME and 1 each at midmountain and at the peaks? Here's a cheaper way....Take a GoPro and suction cup it to the window at Allen's Lodge and the Glen House for a few minutes each morning. Move it up to the lift shack at the top of Heaven's Gate and the Summit Quad. Then send the camera down the hill with a patroller to post the video online on the webcam page. For that matter, you could suction cup one of those to the inside of the windshield on one of the groomers and post that.

For today, maybe get the live back in Live Lift/Trail Report.

FYI, we will ski SB about 10 days this year so I'm not just some 1 off ticket purchaser nit picking. Have been coming 15 years and will be coming for another 30 and hopefully buying.
    Can we also have another cam so we can see another part of the mountain and a light so we can see how hard it is snowing at night.

Like Howie says, a CAM on the upper mountain has been discussed ad infinitum. I actually emailed Win in October asking him if there were any thoughts/plans about installing a CAM at Allyn's Lodge or at top of Gatehouse Chair. Win indicated that this will probably be done some day. But that the issue is that they do not have the correct fiber running from base up the mountain yet. So, since the mountain no longer looks for volunteers to thin/prune the trails in Slidebrook, I would not hold my breath about an upper mountain CAM, anytime soon, even if you happen to have a three thousand foot roll of fiber sitting around your house or business going unused.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

FYI - They leave the snow whales for a day or two so they dry out. They groom out better when they do this. It's like curing the snow. I am sure you guys won't believe this but I actually had a blast on Ripchord this weekend. No complaints. That was some fun skiing. Nice job on the opening. It is my opinion that those old tower guns do a way better job than those new phangled guns any day. I am headed up for 3 days this weekend and then from Christmas night until the new year. Hope to see many of you then.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

There are pros and cons to both types of guns. The towers make good snow but since they are up high, are subject to more effect of the wind. The new guns we got last year, the Snow Logics, make descent snow in the right temps and use next to nothing for air. So even when we are close to being maxed on air, we can light up a bunch of SLs. They are more difficult to move, however, so generally stay on lower elevation or flat terrain. This year, we've used them on Allyn's Traverse, portions of Lower Downspout, Gondolier, Easy Rider, Sugarbear Road & Forest, Easy Rider, and throughout the base area. The snow they make is often much more dense as well.

Gonna do my best to get out for some turns tomorrow, and Thursday, and Friday, before my next shift week starts. No idea what the next plan of attack will be. My guess would be either Hot Shot or Snowball-Fling, seeing as we've got VHT almost all set to go.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    There are pros and cons to both types of guns. The towers make good snow but since they are up high, are subject to more effect of the wind. The new guns we got last year, the Snow Logics, make descent snow in the right temps and use next to nothing for air. So even when we are close to being maxed on air, we can light up a bunch of SLs. They are more difficult to move, however, so generally stay on lower elevation or flat terrain. This year, we've used them on Allyn's Traverse, portions of Lower Downspout, Gondolier, Easy Rider, Sugarbear Road & Forest, Easy Rider, and throughout the base area. The snow they make is often much more dense as well.

Gonna do my best to get out for some turns tomorrow, and Thursday, and Friday, before my next shift week starts. No idea what the next plan of attack will be. My guess would be either Hot Shot or Snowball-Fling, seeing as we've got VHT almost all set to go.
    I thought I saw a couple of the snowlogic guns mounted on poles.

The new snow reporter cracks me up. "Unfrozen drips" ????
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I thought I saw a couple of the snowlogic guns mounted on poles.
    There are two mounted on towers... one on Lower OG, the other was on Easy Rider. The Lower OG one did really well.

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    haha how about an LED board that flashes how many runs you have done when they scan your ticket
    Are they still scanning the tickets? Maybe if it was more of a wand with a checkered flag, that would be really fun.

Skivideoguy - No pass for me this year, maybe next. Two trips out west instead for me too. Sorry if I got a little defensive there. I wish i kept my complaints snowmaking-grooming focused, too, but I just have so many suggestions for improvements aka complaints for the mountain to address in one thread. Hope you get some good days in and that they've knocked down the whales by then.

Hawk - Ripcord was very good where the man made mixed with the natural snow. Hopefully some more will fall to fix this thread for another year so I can get back on track discussing the ticket scanning, zany building projects, the nasty smoking ghetto on the deck between the Bravo and GHL, and then later in the season why the Valley House isn't open, north being closed too early, lack of resurfacing on deathspout, snowboarders, the bike trails carved into the face of the mountain, the microburst that was never cleaned up by Egan's, slidebrook not running midweek, death and taxes.

And yet it still is a GREAT GREAT mountain.

SB Snowmaking has begun?

According to the website they are now making snow on Snowball and they also have guns going on the top half of Spring Fling.....it also looks like patrol was packing down Spillsville yesterday so that is a good sign.

It might be possible to do a wireless 802.11 link from Allyn's to down below

ml242 - No worries, no offense taken. I feel the same way. Love the mountain, only want to see things improve for everyone, the ski every day pass holder to the once a year weekend visitor. I have some background with wireless IP cameras so I know it could be done with a relay or two to get down the hill to the lodges. A little site line analysis when I'm up in february. Gotta go. Happy weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    It might be possible to do a wireless 802.11 link from Allyn's to down below
    Its way too far.

ML242. The microburst hasn't been cleaned up because the USFS wants it that way and it's their land.