Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    A couple of things that I think you miss the mark with:
    - In the end I realize that they will do what they do. This is my opinion and is constructive criticism based on my observations. These opinions come from watching a little known area go from a local’s only place to one of the biggest and widely visited areas in the east. I will not relocate anywhere else because of this "Flaw" in their philosophy as snowmaking is not the reason I came here. I just see something that can make this place so much better for the general skiing population.
    - Grooming is not the answer for better surfaces especially when it rains on them. You have to resurface with new snow.
    - People understand that the quality of the Snowmaking here is not that good. I know this because I have many skier friends (100+) at different mountains that refuse to come here or have stopped coming because of this. The common line is, "I will see you when it snows".
    - The increased skier visits are a product of good marketing, good winters (sans last winter), great service and a great new village that got a lot of Press coverage. I would bet this has reached its peak.
    - Snow quality it what brings new people and keeps them coming and hard core people are not the driving force for snow making. It's the beginner/Intermediates that love smooth silky blues.
    - Snowmaking is Key to quick recovery and continuous great conditions. Our conditions this year have been OK but not that great comparatively. I’m not saying to open everything all at once and just pound the snow out. I am saying blow key trails and keep them pristine. Just a little faster and better. Not an enormous upgrade but a moderate one that gives us the ability to get it done nicely. It is the only thing that Sugarbush lacks to be the greatest.
    - In the end that is what separates us and keeps us from getting over the hump. I love it here and relocated here for the snow from the sky, but refuse to stick my head in the sand. Saying we opened top to bottom day one is a joke. It was cold early this year and others did it better, with more trails and better conditions. Day ticket sales that could have paid for the snowmaking went to other places because no one expects SB to have good snowmaking. We need to change that perception to grow the resort to where management wants it. Frilly lodging and base lodges are not going to do that.
    And you are right. No more going in circles. That will be my last piece on this subject.....this year. See you on the slopes dudes and dudets.

Look I love this place and only want what is best. If you said that you don't understand the value of snowmaking then fine. I can understand that people that have not seen it and watched the effect of it over time would not understand.

Kumbaya

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Kumbaya
    What's that a city in Africa?

Oh I get it. I should just shut up and kiss the ring.

Nothing to see here move along.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Fully agree the garden hose issue. Nothing raises bigger questions in my mind about the approach taken and avoiding the obvious issues when I cruise past a gun pissing watery goo out its nozzle. Can't remember a season I've not seen that more than a few times, and all too often for a couple laps. Elsewhere it's more common to see a crew member checking things via snowmobile frequently - as in every other time I'm lapping a trail. That may call for a bit more payroll and fuel but the trail glazing that would be avoided is a huge upside.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What's that a city in Africa?

Oh I get it. I should just shut up and kiss the ring.

Nothing to see here move along.
    no, you were getting all mushy with the SB love.

RD, I am not sure how much experience you have at SR but maybe we should talk. I can point you in the right direction for some lesser traveled places there. I have years of experience at that place and a good history of "maintenence". There are also a couple of other Sugarbush transplants there that ski regularly. Did you take a job at the mountain?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Not a great week for snowmaking. The warm weather culminated in almost an inch of rain Wednesday night so when we were able to turn the guns back on early Thursday we had to resurface most of the trails where we had already made snow and which were in great condition last weekend but had damage from the Monday weather. Two words sum upour feelings today - frustrating and expensive. We did have a bit over 24 hours of snowmaking and all the trails that were open last weekend will be so this weekend, but the conditions will not be as good but they were last weekend but will be OK. I skied lower organgrinder this morning and it had some nice soft newly made snow. Uppergrinder should soften to the later Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow's weather looks funky, Sunday looks better and then we are in for a warm wet Monday. After that it does look like the pattern may change and cold will come in and stay longer and we might even start to see some snow accumulation later in the week. It looks like we may have to resurface existing trails again but after that we should be able to expand by next weekend if the forecast holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Not a great week for snowmaking. The warm weather culminated in almost an inch of rain Wednesday night so when we were able to turn the guns back on early Thursday we had to resurface most of the trails where we had already made snow and which were in great condition last weekend but had damage from the Monday weather. Two words sum upour feelings today - frustrating and expensive. We did have a bit over 24 hours of snowmaking and all the trails that were open last weekend will be so this weekend, but the conditions will not be as good but they were last weekend but will be OK. I skied lower organgrinder this morning and it had some nice soft newly made snow. Uppergrinder should soften to the later Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow's weather looks funky, Sunday looks better and then we are in for a warm wet Monday. After that it does look like the pattern may change and cold will come in and stay longer and we might even start to see some snow accumulation later in the week. It looks like we may have to resurface existing trails again but after that we should be able to expand by next weekend if the forecast holds up.
    Hang in there Win. Ullr is just flushing all the funk out of the system before delighting us with full on winter before the holidays. big big big winter incoming!

Nice soft snow today with the exception of Upper Organgrinder. However, the freestyle team was enjoying the firm moguls up there. I preferred the soft ones on Downspout and Lower organgrinder.

Good day today. The hordes of 20 something's were nowhere to be found. Fog was more of hinderence for me than any snow conditions. I need to get yellow lenses for my goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Good day today. The hordes of 20 something's were nowhere to be found. Fog was more of hinderence for me than any snow conditions. I need to get yellow lenses for my goggles.
    This 60 something took the weekend off after three consecutive early season weekends. Decided to stay home west of Boston & party.. with the 20 something's.......actually to catch up with things/work weekend. Here's hoping that the rain that I just saw on the weather coming into Boston tonight & tomorrow is white at elevation.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

The weather tonight and tomorrow is going to give us everything according to our forecast: snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain and hopefully ending with some snow. Unfortunately, it looks like the temperatures will get into the 40s when the heaviest rain comes, so we are likely to lose snow. Early Tuesday morning the temperatures will fall and we will be back into snowmaking and it looks like we can keep the guns running all week - at least at the higher elevations during the days and hopefully get low as well during some of the days and nights.

Another week of generally uninteresting weather but what about after ?

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Roger Hill had a ery different view this morning. First storm on Sunday with 3-6". Another mid next week. Hope isn't a method but we are hoping and blowing snow in the meantime.

Well Win, can't believe I'm saying this, but I am for Hope and Change right now! It will snow, we will make turns, and the woods will be skied. We want happy skiers as much as you do, 'cause we are them.

Here is to a great year on and off the mountain.

Ripcord

Blowing snow confirmed...
    Attached Images Attached Images