Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Thing That My Subscription To Ski Magazine Is Free

In my mailbox yesterday were November issues of Stereophile, Powder & Ski magazines.

Ski Magazines 2012 Resort Guide Top 10 East Resorts are as follows:
    1. Mount Tremblant
    2. Sunday River
    3. Smugglers Notch
    4 Sugarloaf
    5. Stowe
    6. Holiday Valley
    7. Killington
    8. Whiteface
    9. Loon
    10 Jay Peak

Whistler Blackomb & Deer Valley were the top 2 ski resorts in North America, and neither is on my have to visit list as I would choose Revelstoke or Kicking Horse in Canada and Alta, Snowbird or Snowbasin in Utah over either.

I imagine that Sugarbush skiers are too busy skiing to find the time to fill out surveys, and that advertising in Ski Mag is not high on the MT PR budget. By the way, I get my subscription free every year with my admission to the Ski Show in Boston in November. That particular survey card is the only card that I fill out, but since I have No plans to go to the Boston Ski Show this November, I guess I will be skipping Ski Mags next years 2013-14 ski resort ratings.
    Last edited by gostan; 10-16-2012 at 05:13 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Did you see the 36-page ad Whistler Blackomb purchased in this very same issue? Please, SKI, what a joke!

Stan, you have to remember that the ranking is for all round skiing experience and the readers of the magazine are probably not all hard core. I would agree that Deer Valley is Meah...... and the areas that you mention are great but what is missing at those places is eating, drinking and non-skiing amenities. I have been to Whistler 5 times and everytime was epic. There is no other place that has as much fun stuff off the mountain as there....well maybe Chamonix. There is several 5 star resturaunts, some of the best Sushi places and great bars. The terrain and the amount of lift accessable goodness is very good also. Yes if you are just going to go for Pow I was say western BC rules but If you have never been to Whistler then you should put it on the list. I have never been shut out on Pow at whistler except when i went in late March and got warm weather. That was not bad either but that is a different story. it is truely great and way better than Snow Bird, Snow basin and Alta which I have been to many times also If you have not been then give it a try before you poo-poo it.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Just opened up the November Powder Mag. And, MRG & Sugarbush are tops for Trees & located just behind Jay, Stowe/Smugglers & Sugarloaf in ovarall rankings in the Big East, and just ahead of Killington. Powder does not use a reader survey, but uses a formula based upon skier visits, average snowfall, cost of a beer and other similar important nuances , such as # of days where the deep ones are not tracked out by noon. And, Powder has Whistler @ 17 & Revelstoke @ 1 in overall rankings. Not good, Powder....there goes Revy.....
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Stan, you have to remember that the ranking is for all round skiing experience and the readers of the magazine are probably not all hard core. I would agree that Deer Valley is Meah...... and the areas that you mention are great but what is missing at those places is eating, drinking and non-skiing amenities. I have been to Whistler 5 times and everytime was epic. There is no other place that has as much fun stuff off the mountain as there....well maybe Chamonix. There is several 5 star resturaunts, some of the best Sushi places and great bars. The terrain and the amount of lift accessable goodness is very good also. Yes if you are just going to go for Pow I was say western BC rules but If you have never been to Whistler then you should put it on the list. I have never been shut out on Pow at whistler except when i went in late March and got warm weather. That was not bad either but that is a different story. it is truely great and way better than Snow Bird, Snow basin and Alta which I have been to many times also If you have not been then give it a try before you poo-poo it.
    Been there, done that, W is too big & noisy for my liking. Sure you can always take 3 or 4 lifts and find lots to ski. The base is way too busy for my liking so give me some quietude please, but that is why we all have choices. Manhattan is one of the great cities in the world, but I have no problem waiting a few years for the Broadway touring version of a great show to hit Boston. Ski always chooses either Whistler, Vail or Deer Valley as the best resort in North America. My point is that that is not necessarily the one that most of us would choose. They all offer a smorgasbord of all that one might want in a ski trip, but I stopped going to Disneyland over 3 decades go. I would rather opt for a smaller more specialized ski resort for the ski trips still remaining in my quiver.
    Last edited by gostan; 10-16-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Stan

I understand. I guess I have different priorities and a wife that likes to ski alot but is a foodie and likes the social scene also. This year my quietude trip will be either hut to hut in Idaho or Teton Pass with a friend that moved out there.

Manhattan!!! No wonder you need to get away.

I understand. I guess I have different priorities and a wife that likes to ski alot but is a foodie and likes the social scene also. This year my quietude trip will be either hut to hut in Idaho or Teton Pass with a friend that moved out there.

Manhattan!!! No wonder you need to get away.
    you can drop the wife off at Deer Valley on your way to the huts........
    Stan

Naw she is not a weenie by any means and would do nicely in the back country. She is lite and fast and likes to go up hill. She just like to eat good food, talk to people and have fun. That is all.

Naw she is not a weenie by any means and would do nicely in the back country. She is lite and fast and likes to go up hill. She just like to eat good food, talk to people and have fun. That is all.
    You R a lucky guy!
    Stan

Sugarbush ranked 11th this year. The big surprise was Terrain variety at 8th and Terrain challenge at 11th. Even Ski mag commented on that?????? In prior years we have usually been 1,2 or 3. Don't think the terrain changed.

Quote Originally Posted by win View Post
    Sugarbush ranked 11th this year. The big surprise was Terrain variety at 8th and Terrain challenge at 11th. Even Ski mag commented on that?????? In prior years we have usually been 1,2 or 3. Don't think the terrain changed.
    Win, I suspect that the changes in Terrian variety and challenge may have been due to the lack of natural snow fall along with the resulting reduced forays into Slidebrook side country. If I recollect properly, there were very few guided tours into Slidebrook due to the minimal snow depth. Of course, there is always the theory that the lack of advertising dollars, and not the lack of snow, led to these terrain ratings moves downward. But, sleep well, because none of us come to SB & MRV because of Ski Mag's ratings.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Win, I suspect that the changes in Terrian variety and challenge may have been due to the lack of natural snow fall along with the resulting reduced forays into Slidebrook side country. If I recollect properly, there were very few guided tours into Slidebrook due to the minimal snow depth. Of course, there is always the theory that the lack of advertising dollars, and not the lack of snow, led to these terrain ratings moves downward. But, sleep well, because none of us come to SB & MRV because of Ski Mag's ratings.
    I recall the other ski areas being affected much more by the lack of snow last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by teletubby View Post
    Did you see the 36-page ad Whistler Blackomb purchased in this very same issue? Please, SKI, what a joke!
    Yeah I was thinking.... is this STILL an ad??
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    I recall the other ski areas being affected much more by the lack of snow last winter.
    Things were definitely great @ SB last winter once we were fully open top to bottom.
    Stan

Great??? Now I know you have been sking here a long while Stan. I think Great is a little stong of and adjective for last year. I have seen great at SB. I consider last year to be on the lower end of the sectrum.

Sorry I don't wear the rosey colored glasses. I call it like it is.