Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sugarbush / MRG Combined Season Pass!

Whoa

http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-f...sses-and-more/

Sugarbush Resort and Mad River Glen Joint Press Conference to announce first partnership in 54-year historySugarbush Resort and Mad River Glen are hosting a joint press conference to coincide with Sugarbush’s Community Day and Mad River Glen’s Green and Gold Weekend. The press conference comes on the heels of the two ski areas’ announcement that they are partnering to offer joint season passes for the first time in their history.
    WHO: Sugarbush Resort President and Owner Win Smith, VP of Marketing Sugarbush Resort Candice White, Mad River Glen General Manager Jamey Wimble, Mad River Glen Director of Marketing Eric Friedman
    WHAT: Sugarbush Resort and Mad River Glen to hold joint press conference to announce and explain the extent of new partnerships and initiatives to promote skiing and riding in the Mad River Valley. (Refreshments follow)
    WHEN: Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    WHERE: Timbers Restaurant, Lincoln Peak Village, Sugarbush Resort, Warren, VT
    WHY: Way back in 1958, a decade after Mad River Glen first cranked up the now iconic Single Chair, Damon Gadd decided to start a new ski area a few miles down the ridge. He needed local know-how so he took on Mad River Glen’s General Manager, Jack Murphy, as a partner in the new venture. Rumor has it that the negotiations actually took place in the Mad River Glen Basebox Lodge. This new ski area was called Sugarbush Valley and the folks at Mad River were not too thrilled about their GM being pilfered from them and having a competitor encroaching on their territory. The situation was further muddled five years later when Walt Elliot opened Glen Ellen along the same ridge right in between Mad River and Sugarbush (Sugarbush merged with Glen Ellen in 1979). The Mad River Valley had what no other ski resort area in New England had; three big, top-notch ski areas all within a few miles of each other strung like pearls along the spine of the Green Mountain’ fabled Monroe Skyline. But over the years The Mad River Valley’s potentially distinct marketing advantage was never taken advantage of and what ensued instead was a decades-long, oftentimes tense, adversarial and competitive relationship.
    That was until now! Mad River Glen and Sugarbush have finally come to a historic détente and are now working together on several fronts to promote New England’s premier ski destination.
    The “Ski The Valley Plus” ticket is available to skiers who book extended ski and stay packages. It includes unrestricted access to all three mountains along with extra “pluses” at theaters, restaurants and shops throughout the Mad River Valley.
    The new “Threesome College Pass” gives full time college students unrestricted access to Mad River Glen as well as Sugarbush’s Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen. This new pass costs students a mere $359 (if purchased before November 7)
    The mountains are also working together to target the key young adult demographic by offering special rates for skiers under the age of 30. They have several options to consider; Sugarbush’s “For20s Pass” gives unrestricted access to both of Sugarbush’s mountains for $419. For an additional $80 they can “Add Mad” and get access to Mad River Glen midweek (Mon-Fri). Skiers under 30 can also consider a Mad River Glen specific Midweek pass for only $199.
    ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Community Day at Sugarbush is a celebration of fall in Vermont. The event includes FREE Kids Adventure Camps, free scenic lift rides for Season Pass holders, cooking demonstrations, movie premiers, live music and more. Green and Gold Weekend at Mad River Glen features a volunteer mountain workday, the Stark Mountain Hill Climb race, and the annual shareholder meeting. For more information about Community Day and Green and Gold Weekend can be found by following the links below.
    http://www.madriverglen.com/?Page=fall02.html
    http://www.sugarbush.com/content/cm.asp?pid=23&id=713&type=sgb
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

old news, no?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    old news, no?
    Howie, Nick has been MIA way too busy over at Alpine Zone this summer; either doing too much P90X http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...tioning/page60 or moderating the hotter than ever mucho importante' Alpine Zone debate of whether Lindsey Vonn or Julia Mancuso is hotter http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...-Julia-Mancuso
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    Howie, Nick has been MIA way too busy over at Alpine Zone this summer; either doing too much P90X http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...tioning/page60 or moderating the hotter than ever mucho importante' Alpine Zone debate of whether Lindsey Vonn or Julia Mancuso is hotter http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...-Julia-Mancuso
    its Vonn FTW

I just saw the news article today, it just came to my inbox. I figured it was new news. Of course i can't beat you guys to it

Back to my cave ....
    Welcome to SkiMRV!

Yeah, its not new news, but the headline begs the obvious question...why not more cooperation. When I can buy an Epic pass for $679 and have unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, and Arapahoe Basin, I have to question paying more to ski in the Mad River Valley and not even be able to ski all three hills. Even when I live on the East Coast...

There are innumerable examples of collaboration out there, and the MRG/Bush college and 20s passes is an excellent start, but I think (and I know I am a broken record on this) Win and Eric have to go all the way. Then there will be a serious new headline which is seriously worth talking about. We could be the absolute best ski destination for serious skiers on the East Coast, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by RopeTow View Post
    Yeah, its not new news, but the headline begs the obvious question...why not more cooperation. When I can buy an Epic pass for $679 and have unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, and Arapahoe Basin, I have to question paying more to ski in the Mad River Valley and not even be able to ski all three hills. Even when I live on the East Coast...

There are innumerable examples of collaboration out there, and the MRG/Bush college and 20s passes is an excellent start, but I think (and I know I am a broken record on this) Win and Eric have to go all the way. Then there will be a serious new headline which is seriously worth talking about. We could be the absolute best ski destination for serious skiers on the East Coast, bar none.
    Great idea RopeTow, but the facts are that snowmaking costs do not allow west versus east season pass comparisons and the present pass pricing hierarchy discriminates seriously in favor of the young versus the old and it will never change (maybe for good biz reasons) under the existing ownership. A 420s pass is $319. (with an $80 add on for MR weekdays.). A Senior pass is $699. An adult pass is $1279 with a free child pass. You do the math.....seniors (who supposedly have more disposable income) pay a premium to ski at SB. And , many Seniors at SB are already coop members at MR. A combined pass in MRV may be come a reality in the future, but I am sure that it will cost this almost 64 year old another arm and a leg. You are a bit naive' about the ultimate pricing of such a combined MRV pass, But, you are correct about one thing..... The Epic Pass and other similar western passes are becoming much more appealing to this senior SB skier.
    Stan

Sorry, I don't believe the snowmaking line. When Vail bought Northstar at Tahoe, they significantly upgraded snowmaking, yet a pass there costs only $679 with unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Heavenly, Kirkwood, and Arapaho Basin. I tend to believe the sentiment stated here last year or so - these are DESTINATION resorts with little local population to draw on. Sugarbush and other eastern resorts have millions within a day's drive. Some pencil pusher somewhere as figured out where the tipping point is but in my inexpert opinion it seems like cheaper pass rates equals more skiers here, not out west. As a local I still feel pass rates are too high.

I can see a number of issues that dont exist with those passes out west. First and foremost, the mountians are in such proximity that you could literally ski back and forth between them. Sb spends vastly more on snow making and grooming than mrg. And the upshot of this is that sb is a more reliable place to invest in a seasons pass. There are likely many more sb passholders than mrg and why would sv want to share that revenue with mrg when they still have to spend the same money on snow making and groomers.
    And from mrgs perspective, do they really want to be inundated with sb passholders when conditions are good. they already have an issue with waiting for the single.

I understand that a combined pass would be great for the consumer but i dint see how it works for the mountains.

I understand that a combined pass would be great for the consumer but i dint see how it works for the mountains.
    I too am not sure how it would ever work for each of the mountains, but it would be good for Mad River Valley and its remaining restaurants, bars and B&B's because it would give MRV a wonderful new method of PR & promotion to bring new bodies into the valley and up to each of the Mountains. I believe that some type of combo multi mountain ski the valley ticket already exists, but full combined MT access is a different animal entirely for self promotion efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe the snowmaking line. When Vail bought Northstar at Tahoe, they significantly upgraded snowmaking, yet a pass there costs only $679 with unlimited access to Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Heavenly, Kirkwood, and Arapaho Basin. I tend to believe the sentiment stated here last year or so - these are DESTINATION resorts with little local population to draw on. Sugarbush and other eastern resorts have millions within a day's drive. Some pencil pusher somewhere as figured out where the tipping point is but in my inexpert opinion it seems like cheaper pass rates equals more skiers here, not out west. As a local I still feel pass rates are too high.
    The Greater Denver Front Range of Denver, Aurora & Boulder has a population of over 4.3M that equals that of greater Boston, &, according to an article I read, Vail Resorts sold over 200K season passes last year. The Vail Resorts mountains have both a local and a destination clientele. I am sure that there are many reasons for the lower pass prices out West, but snowmaking costs have to be one of the important factors. Sure, I would like cheaper passes here in the East, but I do like the stability and creativity of the on mountain ski product of the mountains here in the East over the long defunct American Skiing biz model. I think that what we both dislike are the varied prices of seasons passes for different age groups. Under this model, some of us subsidize other skiers. A single lower one price season pass price structure might just allow a lower more reasonable seasons pass price for each and every one of us.
    Stan

From the converstaions I have had with MRG pass holders and locals, the problem with opening the flood gates to a compined pass for all pass holders is skiers numbers at MRG. The compromise was based on the projection of increased skier visits from pass holders to both mountains. That is why they chose the younger people only. The thought was that this would get younger people over to MRG which might grow their share holder base in the future and would do the same for season pass holder numbers and repeat customers at Sugarbush. If the pass was good for everybody the projection was that it would crush MRG with people and make the lines unbearable. I am sure they will see what happens this year and maybe adjust later. This is the take from several people I spoke with. Take it for what it is an opinion. I tend to agree and would not open the flood gates. That mountain is fine the way it is and would only suffer from big crowds. How many of you have gone there and only got 7 or 8 runs all day because of lines? I have.

Epic is a bad example. Sking out west is nothing like skiing in the MRV. Lifts, terrain and area size not to mention the average snow fall play huge rolls in snow quality and skier experience. MRG would just get totally trampled.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

and with the ski the valley pass available to visitors on extended stays, the issue of helping the valley as a whole attract the tourist market is addressed. It really is only the season pass holders who still have to choose one or the other mountain. since pass holders are locals and regulars, I doubt a combined pass would do anything to increase the total of pass holders.

as for pass pricing, dont forget that the adult passes include a child so it is really childless adults and those with older children who are paying the "full fare". not coincidentally, that same demographic should have the highest disposable income.

and with the ski the valley pass available to visitors on extended stays, the issue of helping the valley as a whole attract the tourist market is addressed. It really is only the season pass holders who still have to choose one or the other mountain. since pass holders are locals and regulars, I doubt a combined pass would do anything to increase the total of pass holders.

as for pass pricing, dont forget that the adult passes include a child so it is really childless adults and those with older children who are paying the "full fare". not coincidentally, that same demographic should have the highest disposable income.
    This "highest disposable income" argument really grates on me. It is like saying that I should have to pay Chrysler-Jeep more for my Grand Cherokee because my income is higher. Balderdash!
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    This "highest disposable income" argument really grates on me. It is like saying that I should have to pay Chrysler-Jeep more for my Grand Cherokee because my income is higher. Balderdash!
    I'm not advocating for the pricing structure but the ski industry is not the only business to discount. your chrysler-jeep dealer and other car companies give discounts to recent college graduates and veterans. movie theaters give seniors discounts as do supermarkets. my local gym has different junior, adult, family and senior rates. so do amusement parks. my temple charges based on age and marital status. the bar association discounts for those recently admitted. it's not an argument but an explanation as to why the pricing is structured in such a way.

I'm not advocating for the pricing structure but the ski industry is not the only business to discount. your chrysler-jeep dealer and other car companies give discounts to recent college graduates and veterans. movie theaters give seniors discounts as do supermarkets. my local gym has different junior, adult, family and senior rates. so do amusement parks. my temple charges based on age and marital status. the bar association discounts for those recently admitted. it's not an argument but an explanation as to why the pricing is structured in such a way.
    I am sure that I have a few more rings on the bottoms of my feet than you do, and I am lucky enough to be able to ski where I choose, which is what it is really all about for most of us. But, at 63+, in this challenging economy, I am really not sure what tomorrow is going to bring biz and $$$ wise. I really do understand the business rationale for age discounts, and I am on the reduced senior side of the synagogue price structure and gave up the bar dues a decade ago, but I remain concerned that the discounted age for senior skiers keeps rising, and I am not sure that is really fair when one considers how much in totality we have already paid in. i just want to keep the age discount issue out there in front of Win and others for future consideration.

Talking about seasons passes, I am thinking about opting in on a Mountain Collective Pass which will get me 2 days at Aspen/Snowmass, Jackson Hole, Alta & Squaw/Alpine Meadows and 50% off on all other lift tix at those resorts. I may only hit two of these resorts, but it is still worth the price. And The pricing for this pass really shows the true advantages that the larger western resorts have over their eastern brethren.

Let it snow!
    Stan