Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    With 58 trail sections open, 336 acres & 23 miles of skiing open & 103 snowmaking days, even the diehard Sugarloaf skiers on Sugarloaf Today are in agreement with this statement; albeit with a somewhat grudgingly acquiescence to SR being the New King of Spring. I never really enjoyed skiing at SR, but I guess I might have to this particular spring.
    If you knew me when you were skiing there you would have had fun. I am going there for the rest of the season how ever long it lasts. I have an endless supply of 2 for 1 deals to draw from. Actually AHM relocated there last year. I think he is having some fun.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    They have a commitment. 800 Brits are showing up for the first week in April. All that lodging, lift tickets, rentals and food is a big loss if they cancel. Anyway they have always done this kind of thing. I would add that snowmaking may not be as expensive as we here have been led to believe. The message is crafted by people who don't believe in snowmaking. Just a thought. Howie you know were I stand. They are skiing a lot of terrain at a lower elevation and less natural snow than we got. With global warming producing this kind of climate result more ofter, wouldn't you think that investment in an antequated system be a priority? I do.
    my understanding is that the number of Brits is actually over 2,000

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    my understanding is that the number of Brits is actually over 2,000
    Sounds like an invasion. Hawk, better bring some ordnance and defend the home turf!!!
    Or at least win the Bust n Burn competition!

Anyone notice that the picture on the webpage looks like they blew snow???...
    Just say'n blown snow drifts between bumps suggests more than just flurries.

Weekend might be a bit more magical than expected. If that is the case. Thank you very much Win!!!!

Brew Ski.

I actually cant stand the place............

Hawk is right, I relocated to the River in 2009-2010 due to a transfer for my job & will be here until I retire. Overall, it is a groomer hill and not a lot of natural, but.........it is 45 min from my house & work & I can ski every Friday as well as any powder day, comfortably being there for lift open. If I had my choice............I would be at another area with more character to the trails or bigger terrain, but I cannot beat the short commute and easy access to pow days. It certainly beats my 4+ hour commute that I did to the bush for well over a 15+ years. What the River provides is consistent, committed snow making, hence the guns being on now and this late in the season and a very solid lift system. For that, I give them a bunch of credit, but in terms of the trail quality, it is lacking some character that is Tumbler, Hammerhead, Castlerock and the numerous bush woods stashes.

What I find is that when the snow is decent, if I stick to natural snow trails (Locke Line--especially the parts they rope off due to snow making pipes, Ruby Palace, Carumba,most of the Barker stuff, their woods runs on the map and off trail areas) I can keep myself entertained for about 3 or 4 hours. Probably the biggest advantage to the relocation besides the short commute is my close access to both the Pinkham and King trailheads, as well as Rumford whitecap. I am typically in these areas on my weekends, avoiding the river crowds.

What am I doing now: I'll be there for the Friday afternoon laps. With the NH backcountry most likely frozen solid for the weekend, I'll probably go put on the cold weather paddling gear and head out to Casco bay (25 min from home) and see the early seal calfing, eagles nesting and the ocean getting ready to move to spring. After that, it's a bit of knee surgery next week..............so that could end this season. Enjoy the rest of the season and the river to all who go.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan View Post
    And, this new construction old news does not belong in this 2012 ski season "melt down" thread.

http://forums.skimrv.com/showthread....s-Implications
    Thanks for providing direction via this link !
    Topic subject left a lot open for interpretation...but looked better trafficked than the others.
    Won't happen again.

Enjoy the Weekend and Ski You Next Fall !

OK ... but No Fat Trackin'

Ahm !

Could you give me info on Kings please? Climbed/skied most of then rest of the ravines, and was headed to the north face this spring, snow or no snow.
    Comparing it to other ravines, Ammo, Gulf of Sliides,etc. longer? Steeper? Should be better coverage w/no sun. Anything to stay away from the Tuckerman circus.

Hoping to spend the night before too. Anything plateau around 3000'?

Really appreciate any feedback. After exposing this and Ammo in Powder exposé last fall, it is no longer unknown.

Went to Stowe yesterday. Skied from 9:30 to 1:00 and did not ski the same trail the whole time!

They had to have had 5 to 10 times more snow making!
    Several trails with the same aspect as Snowball and upper Jester.. Theirs where wall to wall covered with 3-4' of snow. Plus with only the four runner chair open on that side of the MT the runs are top to bottom....like the distance top to bottom at North.
    They even closed and did not count this trail due too it having too icy bumps (wish we had that problem)

And all we have is Steins on Friday!
    Last edited by Treeskier; 04-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier View Post
    Went to Stowe yesterday. Skied from 9:30 to 1:00 and did not ski the same trail the whole time! They had to have had 5 to 10 times more snow making!
    Several trails with the same aspect as Snowball and upper Jester.. Theirs where wall to wall covered with 3-4' of snow. Plus with only the four runner chair open on that side of the MT the runs are top to bottom....like the distance top to bottom at North. And all we have is Steins on Friday!
    Stowe shows 211 inches of snowfall versus 161 for Sugarbush. Glad you had a great day there yesterday. you better go back today because today is the last day of lift service skiing at Stowe.

PS: My 1st day of the season was at Stowe on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, when they opened the new Forerunner. They definitely started Deeper manmade coverage early and often, but 50 inches is 50 inches. And the stake at Mt. Mansfield still shows 30 inches.
    Last edited by gostan; 04-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"