Thread: Bikes on Amtrak

Bikes on Amtrak

I just learned today that later this spring one can take their bicycle on Amtrak trains originating or ending in VT. That's opens some cool possibilities in both directions. No word yet on if there is a fee. Lockable racks for hanging bikes will be installed on the trains. I love riding the train, personally.

Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski View Post
    I just learned today that later this spring one can take their bicycle on Amtrak trains originating or ending in VT. That's opens some cool possibilities in both directions. No word yet on if there is a fee. Lockable racks for hanging bikes will be installed on the trains. I love riding the train, personally.
    Uch. The Amtrak train stops not 3 miles from my house on its way north from
    NYC along the Hudson. But the stupid thing takes forever to get to vt. Stops everywhere. I think it takes almost 10 hours to get to Rutland or Waterbury. Useless.

Totally agree to some extent. If you (a) don't have a vehicle it opens an option. Also when I rode the 9 hours Waterbury to Penn, I found the forced relaxation was pretty darned nice. Paid the $26 premium for business class to have the extra room and comfort. On the way home Mr. noski read the Sunday NYT front to back for the first time in several years. We actually liked the ride. I have since learned the spokesperson was a little optimistic on her release. Amtrak has chosen the Vermonter for a "study" on bikes-on-board. Not sure if that even really means anything at this point.

I can relax after i get out of my car on a trip that is half the time by car than by train. Think about how ridiculous that is. Ive heard the stories how in the 50's and 60's the train was the regular form of transport up here from nyc. Now its almost impossible. And i dont know when you paid $26 but i paid almost $80 to go to albany (at least it wasnt slow). I would prefer to take the train, beautiful scenery, safe, relaxing, but its not practical and such a shame that our govt. has shortsightedly (with blessings from the auto, oil and air transport interests), strangled the long distance train system.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    And i dont know when you paid $26 but i paid almost $80 to go to albany (at least it wasnt slow).
    It was $26 premium, over and above the regular ticket. I hear what you are saying, though. The Amtrak conductor told us all about the ski trains from NY 25+ years ago and what a party train it was. Groups of skiers or college groups would have the run of an entire car and crank music, enjoy libations, etc. He said it's been many years since those crazy-fun days.