State Trooper on German Flats

I was coming down Rt 17 from a friend's house up at MRG last night at about 10 pm and took a right on German Flats. Hadn't had a drop to drink and was driving within the speed limit. As I fumbled to make a hands free call to my wife using the buttons on the steering wheel and the bluetooth, I saw the dreaded blue whirling lights come up behind me.

I pulled over, about a half mile up German Flats. The officer cautiously approached me from behind and I lowered the window of my VW station wagon with CT plates. I asked the officer what I was doing wrong? He said I had crossed the center line several times. I said, "Well, yeah, I was trying to place a "hands free" call on these buttons on the steering wheel and I couldn't get my wife's number to come up. I guess it distracted me.

Not a good enough excuse. It was clear he was looking for drivers under the influence. Including old guys driving the speed limit on deserted roads. I volunteered that I had not had a drink the whole evening (fortunately, it was true). Still not good enough.

He asked for my drivers license, registration and insurance card. He went back to his cruiser and I guess checked my information out. Fifteen minutes later he came back and handed me my papers with a written "Warning" for crossing ther center line. He asked me to drive more carefully. I looked at him and didn't respond. He asked me if I understood him and I still didn't respond. He asked me if I was ok. I said, "Yeah, I'm ok. I'm just a little upset that you stopped me on a deserted road going under the speed limit and detained me and gave me a written warning. Its not a great way to end the evening." So, he said, "Would you prefer I give you a ticket?"

I said, "No, thank you." He said, "Well then, drive safely."

So now we've got State Troopers on German Flats road. Just one more thing to keep in mind on a Saturday night.

What center line? Most of it washed off the day it was painted. It was snowing when they put it down.

VSP often sits in the Hiddenwood road around 5 to 7pm. Most people don't realize the speed limit is 35mph from rt. 17 to just south of Mt Ellen road.

Yeah, this spot is pretty active. He got me a couple of years ago for failure to use my turn signal while making a right onto the Mt. Ellen access road. I also hadn't had anything to drink. Another place to be careful is just below the Sugar Lodge on the South Access road. Sheriff sits on the right side, just over a roll, many weekday mornings. Speed limit there is 35.

Just so I understand. You are upset because you were pulled over, because you believe weaving across the center line while being distracted by your cell phone is OK? Distracted enough you didn't notice the trooper behind you? You didn't get a ticket, I'm unsure what your gripe is. Should the troopers ignore folks crossing the center line at 10pm on a weekend night?
    I'm all for venting, and nobody likes to be pulled over, but I think you might be over reacting a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrdstrt View Post
    Just so I understand. You are upset because you were pulled over, because you believe weaving across the center line while being distracted by your cell phone is OK? Distracted enough you didn't notice the trooper behind you? You didn't get a ticket, I'm unsure what your gripe is. Should the troopers ignore folks crossing the center line at 10pm on a weekend night?
    I'm all for venting, and nobody likes to be pulled over, but I think you might be over reacting a little bit.
    I'm with this guy. Your post is out of line and completely petulant.

There are tons of cops in the valley and I'm always super paranoid about getting pulled over, which means driving within the speed limit and not swerving all over the road. The cop could have made your life really hell by issuing a ticket for distracted driving or even a summons. It was pretty cool that he let you off with a warning, I'm sure you'd rather take a day off to ski rather than sit in court for hours... which would be a guaranteed snow day for everyone else.

Yeah sorry dude, but you got a warning which is a fair deal, particularly considering that you admitted you wre a distracted driver. Everyone knows that resort town cops prowl looking for 'out of state' plates. Nothing new there, cant say I really blame them either.

He should have ticketed you for reckless driving.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.846294,-73.727305