I was coming down Rt 17 from a friend's house up at MRG last night at about 10 pm and took a right on German Flats. Hadn't had a drop to drink and was driving within the speed limit. As I fumbled to make a hands free call to my wife using the buttons on the steering wheel and the bluetooth, I saw the dreaded blue whirling lights come up behind me.

I pulled over, about a half mile up German Flats. The officer cautiously approached me from behind and I lowered the window of my VW station wagon with CT plates. I asked the officer what I was doing wrong? He said I had crossed the center line several times. I said, "Well, yeah, I was trying to place a "hands free" call on these buttons on the steering wheel and I couldn't get my wife's number to come up. I guess it distracted me.

Not a good enough excuse. It was clear he was looking for drivers under the influence. Including old guys driving the speed limit on deserted roads. I volunteered that I had not had a drink the whole evening (fortunately, it was true). Still not good enough.

He asked for my drivers license, registration and insurance card. He went back to his cruiser and I guess checked my information out. Fifteen minutes later he came back and handed me my papers with a written "Warning" for crossing ther center line. He asked me to drive more carefully. I looked at him and didn't respond. He asked me if I understood him and I still didn't respond. He asked me if I was ok. I said, "Yeah, I'm ok. I'm just a little upset that you stopped me on a deserted road going under the speed limit and detained me and gave me a written warning. Its not a great way to end the evening." So, he said, "Would you prefer I give you a ticket?"

I said, "No, thank you." He said, "Well then, drive safely."

So now we've got State Troopers on German Flats road. Just one more thing to keep in mind on a Saturday night.