Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conditions WE 2/4

Headed up at noon. What did this week's weather events do for us? Just curious.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

No Snowmaking today? Really? I see how this is going to go.

the wife went up last night and reported ice coating everything at the house. sharpen those edges. what's better than a little east coast hardpack?

snow report says they're making snow on steins today and then going to touch up snowball, spring fling and some others. praying mother nature blesses us with a couple inches tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    the wife went up last night and reported ice coating everything at the house. sharpen those edges. what's better than a little east coast hardpack?

snow report says they're making snow on steins today and then going to touch up snowball, spring fling and some others. praying mother nature blesses us with a couple inches tonight.
    Good! I went to the lift and trail and saw no snow flakes.

text from the wifey says groomers are good, not boilerplate and CR is edgeable. keep hope alive.

Groomers are the better bet. Natural trails have decent coverage in most cases but a lot of bullet proof snow. Castlerock Run was edgeable in some spots.
    Last edited by ReefBum; 02-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Just got in. Light snow. Can hear the snow guns running.

2" it looks. We will see what it was up top.

2-3" whatever it was enough to make for a surprisingly good day. I got roped into doing Liftline to start the day. Couldn't believe the nice powder. Cr skies great in the morning. North lynx was skied off by the time I got there but the was fresh in the woods. Good day. Sorry boze.

Ran into a group of people in Slide Brook. They were 2/3rds down. 2 of the 4 were on the ground complaining of some kind of injury. Quote " why would they leave this open with all this brush on the trail". Not a lot of snow out there at all and fairly technical. I still think they should put the rope up this time of season to keep out the ones who are less then prepared to ski it. Just sayin. Next thing you know, these types will put our little paradise in perril.

BTW, I also saw a lone women in there. She was struggling at best. I asked why she was in there by her self. She said she likes the solitude. I can't deny that I am kind of the same way but I would argue that I am way more prepared........again....just sayin.

Those people deserve what they get. Seriously, any time you go off trail, and more so now, you have to be prepared for naturally occurring conditions. That's the whole point. It's not a trail that has been cleared, mowed, snowed and groomed. I took someone in the trees last weekend and explicitly warned if what to expect. If its better so be it. Not the mountains responsibility to educate people that there are rocks roots and stumps in the woods.

Howie, you sound like you think people can make good decisions and use sound judgement. I would think in your business you would know better.

The point is that the entrance is wide open and inviting. There is nothing to indicate to the non regular that it is very hard to ski. I think a rope with a sign is the best way. It keeps most people out and the ones that really know what they are doing will deal with it. People get up there and say, " Oh look SlideBrook is open" and in they go. The fact is that the skiing in there right now is VERY expert. If you don't know how to deal with a trail covered with pucker brush you are screwed. If you don't know how to jump over rocks and stumps you are screwed. If you don't know how to jump over 2 foot high water bars with open water running through them you are screwed. We are just asking for injuries leaving it wide open. IMO

I don't disagree that a warning sign may be warranted. But that doesn't exonerate the skiers.
    As for legal liability, landowners are pretty well insulated from responsibility for naturally occurring conditions especially when the injured party is engaged in a sporting activity.

Did you enjoy the game last night or were the bruins on?

Two evenly mathced teams it seemed. Breaks went the other way this time. Could have been anybody's game. Good finish by Eli and not so much for Tom. I give praise where praise is due and do not typically get caught up in the trash talk. Exciting game by my account.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Maybe we could have a "false" door to block the entrance. Something like in the old batman TV series. The fence with the bushes folded down when that batmobile entered or exited. Folds up to "hide the entrance".

I get lots of questions from people who ask, "where does that go?". I usually just say it is place for finding yellow snow. If you have to ask, you shouldn't be going in there in my opinion.

The entrance has gotten rather "wide open" so it is demanding attention from the passers by. Maybe we should move the entrance down sunshine just past the giant billboard for the "bear Habitat" information. Tuck in behind there. That way the entrance isn't in plain site from the lift where many beginners, day ticket folks, and first timers to the mountain are getting off.

Hanging a sign won't help. It would just point out that there is a trail there. Most people wouldn't stop to read the sign anyway. Unless it was a "out of bounds" sign, do not enter, danger man eating bears and charging moose! That might keep a few out. But people like Howie who are still waiting to find a moose likely would be intrigued and still go in, despite the hungry bear. So again, signs won't work.

Hawk, you should go cut the new entrance. Just let me know where you put it, OK? Make sure to move the cut branches back to the current opening to close it off.