Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Release the Cat on a recon mission - certain they'd find some willing souls to help measure & assess!
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Quote Originally Posted by boze View Post
    Release the Cat on a recon mission - certain they'd find some willing souls to help measure & assess!
    Release the Kracken!

The latest forecast from Josh Fox....looking very good.

The first area of precipitation brought 4-6 inches of snow, sleet and freezing drizzle to the northern Green Mountains. As expected, the evening and overnight hours should be relatively quiet although sporadic freezing drizzle could cause trouble on some of the roads. The second low pressure center is spinning its wheels across the Midwest and beginning to push east. It is a very dynamic system with some vigorous jet stream support as alluded to in previous posts. Temperatures in the lowest few thousand feet of the atmosphere, based on some cross sectional analysis will be a bit marginal during the early morning Friday so when precipitation re-commences in earnest between 5 and 7 am it might be more of a sleety rain. By 9 AM the lower troposphere will have destabilized significantly and we should see rain change to snow and temperatures to turn abruptly colder. Snow should continue through much of the day and could at times become heavy during the evening Friday. 6-12 inches of powder Friday and Friday night is a conservative estimate. I would not at all be surprised if we outperform. A lot of the NWS forecasts will be tailored to valley locations where accumulations will be substantially less. Right now for instance the NWS forecast for Washington County says 1-3 Friday with an 80 percent chance of snow Friday night.

As decribed by the FIS guys, this snow will be landing "right side up". With the damp stuff landing first, but as the temp drops the product will just get lighter and lighter.

Hiked all over the mtn today... well, Birdland to Lower Organgrinder 3 times. Stayed all snow all day. We turned off the guns on Birdland around 1pm or so. Lots of snow there and on Lower Organgrinder... hope y'all enjoy it!

Thanks for the info ShadyJ, much appreciated. See you on the hilll this wknd.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

What are your thoughts about skiiing tomorrow. Winds look to be pretty rough and from the south. What lifts do you think will be open? Worth an earlier am departure for afternnoon skiing? Just trying to get a feel before I commiit my family to the trip. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    what are the chances saturday they run the limo for first tracks???
    According to the Sugarbush website, the Lincoln Limo is running Saturday morning.
    Last edited by ReefBum; 01-12-2012 at 06:19 PM.

My understanding is that winds will be an issue tomorrow.

Round one down. So far so good. Round 2 on deck. No whammies.
    This weekend is shaping up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBum View Post
    According to the Sugarbush website, the Lincoln Limo is running Saturday morning.
    Oh i hadnt noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Oh i hadnt noticed.
    It was sort of buried in the snow report under Additional Notes.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBum View Post
    It was sort of buried in the snow report under Additional Notes.
    I was being facetious. All over that action.

Friday

Light snow @ 11 am.
    Heavy snow at 12:30.
    Poor visibility @ top
    No wind right now.
    But windy as heck @ 1:30 as front comes through. Bravo just closed down & the dash is to Gatehouse.
    Last edited by gostan; 01-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Will there be enough snow for Castlerock or North Lynx lifts to open this weekend? Maybe if the wind slows and the tempature is not too cold we could see the Slidebrook Chair open as well.

According to the snow report, Castlerock will be open for hiking access only from the top of Heaven's Gate.

Going to be way too cold for Slide Brook Chair on Saturday and Sunday ... not sure about the snow cover on the access roads out there.

Dress warmly, folks! Forecast for the valley is saying +11 on Saturday and +6 on Sunday.