Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

Jan 12-13 coming storm

If you believe any weather forecaster (and that is kind of hard to do, admittedly), it looks like good snow is coming for the end of this week.

Josh Fox on the Single Chair Weather Blog is predicting 10-20" through Friday, with a nice day on Saturday and very cold on Sunday. It will be great to actually see some snow fall throughout New England, but even more important for the Valley and the Mountain to get a big dump. Everyone feels better after a big dump!!;-P

Better get those skis tuned for Pow. It is coming. Friday morning will probably the pick of the weekend. Tough for us working stiffs. I'll likely have to pass it up and wait for another storm before taking a powder flu day.

Let's hope this is the first of many, many more powder days to come. Maybe we can get some of that Alaska 18 feet of snow to come our way? Everyone lean to the East for the rest of the week, maybe it will help pull all those storms across the Country.

Hey! I already started a thread on this. What my thread is not good enough for you????
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    It moved down so low on my screen I missed it in my sleep deprived state.

Looks like a good set up for the coming holiday weekend. I'm hoping for another blast next week that I can actually go up and enjoy. I'm on the bench this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski View Post
    If you believe any weather forecaster (and that is kind of hard to do, admittedly), it looks like good snow is coming for the end of this week.

Josh Fox on the Single Chair Weather Blog is predicting 10-20" through Friday, with a nice day on Saturday and very cold on Sunday. It will be great to actually see some snow fall throughout New England, but even more important for the Valley and the Mountain to get a big dump. Everyone feels better after a big dump!!;-P

Better get those skis tuned for Pow. It is coming. Friday morning will probably the pick of the weekend. Tough for us working stiffs. I'll likely have to pass it up and wait for another storm before taking a powder flu day.

Let's hope this is the first of many, many more powder days to come. Maybe we can get some of that Alaska 18 feet of snow to come our way? Everyone lean to the East for the rest of the week, maybe it will help pull all those storms across the Country.

you think friday better than saturday??? I'd be concerned about the winds on friday.

I'm skiing both and prob. thursday, Sunday and Monday also. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm skiing both and prob. thursday, Sunday and Monday also. :-p
    well goody two shoes for you then.

seriously, this weekend is looking off the charts good. fresh snow and big football games starting at 4:30 on saturday and sunday. oh baby!
    I'm even going to root for the pats just so i dont have to hear about tebow anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I'm even going to root for the pats just so i dont have to hear about tebow anymore.
    First and foremost, I'd like to thank my lord and savior ULLR for this bounty to be blessed unto us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    First and foremost, I'd like to thank my lord and savior ULLR for this bounty to be blessed unto us.
    Dude!!!! It ain't on the ground yet. Don't jinx us.

Howie, I think that Friday is going to be fine. They are actually talking about the snow picking back up on Friday morning with upslope all day. We will see. I am not going to count on any of this and will count it once on the ground. But as several wise people at the hill have told me many times, "you have to be here when it happens". I'm not going to miss this one at least like all the ones I missed last year.

Dude!!!! It ain't on the ground yet. Don't jinx us.
    seriously YS. WTF. if anything goes awry, we're coming after you

Howie, I think that Friday is going to be fine. They are actually talking about the snow picking back up on Friday morning with upslope all day. We will see. I am not going to count on any of this and will count it once on the ground. But as several wise people at the hill have told me many times, "you have to be here when it happens". I'm not going to miss this one at least like all the ones I missed last year.
    I totally agree and I'd be there with you if I could. love skiing while its snowing. 'nothing better.
    but i'd keep my eye on the wind hold issue for friday.

what are the chances saturday they run the limo for first tracks???

I would imagine that there would be a good chance if there is new snow. Win?

Sorry about that. You're both right of course, but I couldn't resist parodying the pious punt machine, Tim Tebow.

If you must seek retribution, I understand. I'll be on the Lincoln Limo first thing and then I'll be awaiting first chair at the CR lift. ;-p

I have just one request, no hitting the face.

"Upslope snow" is mentioned every now and then here so I wanted to pass along a definition I found on the net:

Upslope snow, which is technically called orographic snow, occurs when an air mass is forced from a low elevation to a higher elevation as it moves over rising terrain. As the air mass gains altitude it quickly cools down which can raise the relative humidity to 100% and create clouds and precipitation. The highest precipitation is often found slightly upwind from the prevailing winds at the crests of mountain ranges. Due to the fact that this is the area where the peaks most abruptly reign over the rest of the topography, it is also where there is most upward lift and instability. As the air descends the leeward side of the mountain it warms and dries, creating a ‘precipitation shadow’. Essentially the moisture is squeezed or raked out of the clouds by the high mountains.

The northern Green Mountains are the ‘front line’ when it comes to NW flow. The spine of the Greens ends in northern Vermont which then gives way to the open plains of southern Quebec. The cold, moist air travels south and meets its first obstacles in the northern Greens. As a result, the highest NW facing slopes get nailed. Valley locations are considerably drier because they are not able to force the air upward. As previously mentioned, there is a down sloping/ negative component that creates a precipitation shadow for valleys. Good thing we don’t ski in town.

Sorry for the deviation...now back to the snow dancing.