Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

3/20 lp, 3/19 me

A double for you guys. 3/19 ME: Unless you are trying to do upper FIS, take the wrap around getting off the summit chair as the other route has no snow (at least mid day 3/19). Rim run was still ok back to chair with one soggy spot at FIS exit. Looking good was ok. Upper FIS staring to have rocks show. Elbow bumps got big again, left side the easier way. Cruiser had a few patches showing up. I did manage to take the Northway over to Inverness (all the way on my board!) there are likely now a few breaks from water flow but should be ok. Inverness was not as good as hoped I think mostly because nobody had used it so was still feeling setup from cooler overnite temps even at 1pm. A few patches to go around but not an issue on 3/19.

3/20 LP: Regrets I can't tell you about Ripcord or Upper OGrinder the bumps looked a little bigger than I wanted to risk on 80% legs. From what I could see, entrance to Grinder may be on the way out but that just means walking down a few feet to get started. Ripcord did appear mostly ok but I'm guessing the lower part might start to have issues. Jester looks done, if not officilally than for anyone with good equpiment still on. Steins in good shape, a rock here and there poking through. Upper snowball pushing way left near moonshine entrance, perhaps they can move a bit of snow to improve the cover. Other wise it was still ok. Spring Fling still good, far right around the middle looked to have some grass coming through. Did not do lower snowball but looks to be going.

The End is probably very near folks. Temps look to return to only 'damn its warm' from 'stupid warm' Friday and through middle next week. With a little luck it gets cold enough to allow groomers a chance to push some of whats left around a bit and maybe mellow RipCord out a little bit too but not looking good for new snow.

3/28 Steins

Was nice and sunny so went up to check out Steins lunchtime on Tues. They had winched it the night before. GMVS had just come off the run as I got there. The conditions were a bit odd but still pretty good considering. Only a handful of icy spots. The surface was still a little firm but and edge slippage was saved by the fine granular 'powder' (probably roughly an inch, give or take.) Took three runs and headed back for work like things.. had I been in better shape leg wise would have stayed longer and rode more agressively. Best guess was about 10 to 12 people doing the run.

3/29 update: We had drizzle and brief showers here late yesterday and temps have remained cold, Flurries pretty much all morning. Been watching the webcam and looks to be about 3 skiiers going down... definitely more turning going on than on Tuesday. Think I'll give it a go tomorrow with the slightly warmer (and sunnier) conditions as my edges are well shot at this point.

Be good and be safe up there

Looking at the webcam this morning (April 25) the top half of Steins and The Mall are again snow covered....wonder what happened at the top of the mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by RopeTow View Post
    Looking at the webcam this morning (April 25) the top half of Steins and The Mall are again snow covered....wonder what happened at the top of the mountain...

here is one from yesterday morning

looking further up, it's more white but just not really enough to work with

i would think there's a tiny bit more today than tomorrow and it might keep coming little by little for the next 1-2 days. i'll checkup slope MRG tomorrow or Friday to see what it is like.

it's been flurrying or dip n dotting on and off even at lower elevations.

This is from this morning... It looks snowier at the top than Tuesday, but it's been very sunny today.

So is Ripcord and orgrinder still skiable?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    This is from this morning... It looks snowier at the top than Tuesday, but it's been very sunny today.
    Great picture of all three areas (LP, ME and MRG) in the Spring with green below and snow on top. Love it!

Ripcord and grinder not skiable. It is snowing hard now.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Ripcord and grinder not skiable. It is snowing hard now.
    From the looks of the webcam this morning, Steins has a new coating of snow...

http://www.sugarbush.com/about-vermont-resort/webcam

I stand corrected. Apparently, you can ski Grinder and Ripcord. As this guy says, "you ski one turn to the right, one turn to the left". Check it out.

Here's what the "base" was like on organ grinder from April 18th. We probably lost some of that from the rain, then gained a little on top from the snow. Should be interesting to see what comes today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5522117...n/photostream/

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post

I stand corrected. Apparently, you can ski Grinder and Ripcord. As this guy says, "you ski one turn to the right, one turn to the left". Check it out.
    But I'd want to use his skis, not mine!!!

It did not turn out so well this morning. time to get out the bikes I think.

This is about as good as it got... and most of it much worse.

Jan 2013

Well.. its January..2013. Consider this for 1/22-25. Runs that have been groomed are generally in ok shape and running fast, your pink wax should be fine if you are just doing those. Stuff that was just groomed on Tues lean more to shiny hardpack though not too much issue. Its pretty warm today (Friday) but still will be kinda cold tonight so new groomers tomorrow will be firm.. kinda like riding across rebar until the cord is broken up a bit. There has been no new snow other than a small dusting a few nights back and what has blown around from the guns at south (I don't recall seeing anything about guns at north) so be prepared if you are doing bumps or woods that they may look better than they really are until it warms up some. They still have the expert sign up on Sleeper entrance but FYI, they groomed out the bumps completely and snow wise was one of the best trails yesterday. They gunned a lot on Birch and Sunrise. I did not partake but was told lower part of Sunrise still a bit sketchy and BR was variable depending where the snow went but that was groomed last night so should be ok.
    They were doing SB and SFling yesterday (and today). Be advised that much of SFling rides more like lower grinder as a result of the large hills of snow and visability off of them may be limited. I did not notice anyone on Steins the past two days but then again, one row of cars spreads out pretty thin on the mountain.

Castlerock been closed all week as well as Northridge (money saving for sure in the latter case) and HGate yesterday.