Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Matt's 2011-2012 Valley Restaurant Reviews

Common Man III: It's early to tell but much like Star Wars this could be the best of them all. Enthusiastic new owners, killer menu. They're definitely putting their spin on things. The menu prices are still a bit high for the valley but the food and ambiance was totally worth it. In fact, putting everything into perspective the $150 I laid down for dinner was actually a bargain. Killer wine, fish options, great service from Jillian and Chris-Anne. I'm really excited to go back when I get a chance.

Grade: A+

Mad Taco: If I took my Queens authentic tacos and doubled the price to get them in the valley I'd be happy. If you doubled the price again and made the meat super awesome quality and provided 50-100 custom house made salsas, I'd still come back. What took me so long to venture in? Ski vacation fail, that's what.

Grade: A

Hostel Tevere: Went for Brunch for the millionth time. Still good. Awesome energy, tasty meals, priced perfectly fairly. I'm jealous that my friends get to stay there while I sleep up on the mountain. Ok, not really. But still, I'm always psyched to hit this place when I'm hungover, when I want to get a beer, or when I'm starved from Hiking or Skiing. Giles is the best host even if he hates the Yankees AND Snowboards. Booooooo. Lawson's on top makes up for it.

Pine Tree Pub: Service was super friendly. Free Billiards, which would be great if it wasn't for kid after kid slamming the balls in the hole. What do they think this is, the NBA? The service was super friendly (again) each night I went but the beer list is uninspiring (two Switchbacks, lame) and the food is worse. What gives? This is a call-out to let the owners know that even things are coming around, but they could try harder. Overcooked chicken breast with no sauce just makes it so I won't order food again there until the next person changes the name even though it'll probably be the same. Just get the Mad Taco guys to cater. I don't know. NYE looked like a great party and I'll be back for a drink.

Grade: C-

Chez Henri:

Just stopped in for a glass of wine and a mouse for New Years. Always great to see Henri and Bernard. Some hooligans defaced their Yelp and TripAdvisor pages based on the prix fixe NYE and that bums me out. Everyone I saw looked to be having a great time and the place was jammed. I can't wait to get back for a lunch time soup and a burger when the Out to Lunch trail is open.

Grade: Priceless

Mad River Glen Basebox:

Had the chicken salad sandwich and it was tasty. Veggie wrap was bursting at the seams. Good soup too. Service was terrific from Brian at the bar. Is he new? Just kidding. Mad River Glen, eat it if you can.

Grade: B+

Warren Store:

Ok, if you have guests in the MRV this is probably the one place you can't afford to miss because it's too good and too Vermont. Everyone reading this knows that. Make sure to grab some wine and postcards while you're up here.

Big Picture:

I want to write a haiku about your sunny windows. I'd try really hard not to gripe about the prices. Breakfast and lunch, excellent. Sandwiches, cool soups like Indian Lamb Sweet Potato, Huevos Rancheros, and tons more. Dinner, please see the above choices I guess. But the Movie Festival looks really cool, I hope it gets picked up by the boston/montreal/new york city press. You guys deserve it for having a great program, ambiance, food, drinks, and that damn sunshine during the day.

Apologies to MothaStuffa's, Local Folk, Pitcher Inn, the pizza place I've yet to try, Purple Moon, Slide Brook, and the rest of the places I would like to get back to this winter. May it snow 1000 inches so I have no excuse to get back many times.

If anyone else would care to review/re-review please feel free to add.

+1, excellent.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

the pizza place in SB village makes good pizza.

I hate to post this, but I had some horrendous service issues over the holiday. maybe it was dumb luck but it was unbelievably bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    the pizza place in SB village makes good pizza.

I hate to post this, but I had some horrendous service issues over the holiday. maybe it was dumb luck but it was unbelievably bad.
    At the pizza place? or somewhere else? Holidays are tough on all business. Hopefully, it was a one time thing

I have not been out to eat much this year other than lunch at Mutha Stuffas. Awesome, large sandwiches. Homemade bread. Serves beer. No crowds. Can't wait for some SNOW so I can ski over and get stuffed. Call ahead and your Cuban or Guido will be ready for you. Stuff your face at Mutha Stuffas, you won't be dissappointed.

Also, ate at enhanced Wonderbra. Food was good, service was great. No fryer so no french fries, wings or or kid food (but they can eat at cafeteria downstairs).

Gonna go out to dinner Saturday night with wife and 3 kids -- any recommendations.

I've made my observations below in () and added a few other restaurants below. Fun to see what other think.

Common Man III: It's early to tell but much like Star Wars this could be the best of them all. Enthusiastic new owners, killer menu. They're definitely putting their spin on things. The menu prices are still a bit high for the valley but the food and ambiance was totally worth it. In fact, putting everything into perspective the $150 I laid down for dinner was actually a bargain. Killer wine, fish options, great service from Jillian and Chris-Anne. I'm really excited to go back when I get a chance.

Grade: A+ (can not rate since I have not had a chance to try it since the new management)

Mad Taco: If I took my Queens authentic tacos and doubled the price to get them in the valley I'd be happy. If you doubled the price again and made the meat super awesome quality and provided 50-100 custom house made salsas, I'd still come back. What took me so long to venture in? Ski vacation fail, that's what.

Hostel Tevere: Went for Brunch for the millionth time. Still good. Awesome energy, tasty meals, priced perfectly fairly. I'm jealous that my friends get to stay there while I sleep up on the mountain. Ok, not really. But still, I'm always psyched to hit this place when I'm hungover, when I want to get a beer, or when I'm starved from Hiking or Skiing. Giles is the best host even if he hates the Yankees AND Snowboards. Booooooo. Lawson's on top makes up for it.

Grade: A (B for taste D for quantity. Dinner definitely did not have enough food per dish for the price, especially since it is a Hostel)

Pine Tree Pub: Service was super friendly. Free Billiards, which would be great if it wasn't for kid after kid slamming the balls in the hole. What do they think this is, the NBA? The service was super friendly (again) each night I went but the beer list is uninspiring (two Switchbacks, lame) and the food is worse. What gives? This is a call-out to let the owners know that even things are coming around, but they could try harder. Overcooked chicken breast with no sauce just makes it so I won't order food again there until the next person changes the name even though it'll probably be the same. Just get the Mad Taco guys to cater. I don't know. NYE looked like a great party and I'll be back for a drink.

Grade: C- (Your kind. I agree service is fine but the kitchen needs to do better)

Chez Henri:

Just stopped in for a glass of wine and a mouse for New Years. Always great to see Henri and Bernard. Some hooligans defaced their Yelp and TripAdvisor pages based on the prix fixe NYE and that bums me out. Everyone I saw looked to be having a great time and the place was jammed. I can't wait to get back for a lunch time soup and a burger when the Out to Lunch trail is open.

Grade: Priceless (!!! May be the best food in the valley)

Mad River Glen Basebox:

Had the chicken salad sandwich and it was tasty. Veggie wrap was bursting at the seams. Good soup too. Service was terrific from Brian at the bar. Is he new? Just kidding. Mad River Glen, eat it if you can.

Grade: B+ (A- for the chile)

Warren Store:

Ok, if you have guests in the MRV this is probably the one place you can't afford to miss because it's too good and too Vermont. Everyone reading this knows that. Make sure to grab some wine and postcards while you're up here.

Grade: A (same)

Big Picture:

I want to write a haiku about your sunny windows. I'd try really hard not to gripe about the prices. Breakfast and lunch, excellent. Sandwiches, cool soups like Indian Lamb Sweet Potato, Huevos Rancheros, and tons more. Dinner, please see the above choices I guess. But the Movie Festival looks really cool, I hope it gets picked up by the boston/montreal/new york city press. You guys deserve it for having a great program, ambiance, food, drinks, and that damn sunshine during the day.

Grade: A (Same especially for the deserts)

Local Folk Smoke House

Good service, lots and lots of great beer choices. Food is good but wish the pulled pork was more moist and a thicker BBQ sauce was also offered.

(Grade C)

Hydeaway

Good service. Lots of locals to visit with. Food is good middle of the road fair. Glad to see they allow you to switch around sides again. Do need to offer a more juice burger (not the "local organic" hockey puck)

(Grade C)

The Den

Probably has the best Berger in town. Juice well cooked and lots of fries. 2 sizes well priced. But other things I've tried where not very good. Fish and chips where way over battered and mushy, "Dog Bones" country style ribs where the cheepest cut of meet, lots of fat.....

(Grade ((burger A)) over all D+)

Green Cup

Eclectic fair. Nice use of local ingrediants. Very tasty. Nice little restaurant. The type of restaurant that brings you a surprise cup of soup or something in between course just because. (not sure if it has opened since the flood)

(Grade A-)

1824 House

Just North of town. Nice airy barn restaurant. Did a nice job of mixing local and regional ingredients. Of the 4 of us who had dinner 3 gave it a A- and one a C.

(Grade B-)

Timbers

Beautiful interior. Nice up scale white table cloth restaurant. Overall food is good but but often way to Salty! Nice portions. A bit pricy at times.

(Grade B-)

Terra Rossa

Italian on the North side. Funny when you walk in it has a funny smell but learned later that it was the type of cheese they use. Was put off by it up front but have been twice and the food was quite good. Not so heavy like classic Italian fair but more lite and delicate.

(Grade B- to B)
    Last edited by Treeskier; 01-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Tree,

The white table cloths are done. Misse's husband built us some new tables. Also new dining area next to the fireplace. Try the ribeye next time you are there.

What is up with the smell in Terra Rossa? I really like the food, but I can't get over the smell when you walk in. My wife and I have actually walked out because of the smell (dirty socks) If that is the cheese they use, they realy should think about changing cheeses.

FWIW - I love the Pizza Soul (in the Village) I actually have his number on my cell phone speed dial - I like to call my order in when i hit Lover's Lane and it is waiting for me when i get there.

Tree, Green Cup not been able to reopen since Irene - maybe in the spring. 1824 House no longer serves dinner - events only.

Pizza in the Valley is also good. In the old Perelli's location.

Don't forget Tracks, at the Pitcher Inn. Got destroyed in Irene, 4' deep in mud, but totally and beautifully rebuilt by great local builder and Warren Selectman, Matt Groom. Good food and service, less expensive than Pitcher Inn.

Thanks for input. Guess I need to due further investigation. Sorta like exploring the trees. The lines once pass through can change due to weather or cooks discretion. Part of the fun of exploring and re-exploring.
    Did I happen to mention I love to cook. Which at times makes me picky. I dislike paying $ for dishes that I could do better at. But I truly appreciate a chef's master piece when I taste it. Like great snow. I can come in all shapes, textures, appearances and flavors.

I appreciate all the detailed food advise for the MRV. My two cents, Pizza Soul is fine...could use more sauce though...but I would get it again. Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.

Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy View Post
    Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.
    But, do not forget that the two HDTV's @ the bar have lousy resolution compared to the smaller CRP bar tubes; the stools are wobbly with your ski boots on; the Martini's are larger than CRP @ same price; most of the children eating with families seem better behaved w less lap running; & it is not a really good spot to watch a football gme, and the hummus is simply refreshing.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Ahh the smelly cheese at Terra Rossa. It's an acquired taste. I think they use it on the Pizza and when they bake it, the smell fills the restaurant. I learned to love that smell in Chamonix. All the Savoyard restaurants in Cham have that smell because they bake the local cheese in most of the dishes and they also have that tremendous fondue everywhere. I can still feel the impact in my arteries. It's sort of like Midwesterners coming to Gloucester, MA and saying the place smells like fish.

I have to say I have not been to Terra Rossa in a while. My wife got really sick eating there and will not go back. I would give it a second chance.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I appreciate all the detailed food advise for the MRV. My two cents, Pizza Soul is fine...could use more sauce though...but I would get it again. Timbers is really quite good. It’s a very inventive menu and by NYC area standards (which I fully acknowledge is irrelevant to many readers) its priced very fairly. Considering the cost of lodge food, it seems like a no brainer at times to double the cost and quadruple the taste and quintuple the comfort to eat ski lunch at Timbers.
    Funny you should say that. I was going to say Boston Standards.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

really? I havent been there this year, but when I went last year I was nonplussed about the steak. Caveat is, for business I go probably 4-5x/year to the likes of Peter Lugers, wolfgangs, sparks, etc. in NYC so I am spoiled and therefore a tough grader.