Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

12/27 - 12/28 Storm - Current Conditions

So I think I will play optimist tonight. The current conditions at my place at 1700 ft just below Ducky, it's reading 38 degrees but it is now snowing and it also hailed earlier. Maybe a slight touch of R*#n at Mt Ellen when it started around 3. The NWS forcast changed from all rain to Sleet, snow and r*#n mix. Who knows it mught just keep improving. Ya I said it. I just have this feeling tonight that it's going to be Good tomorrow.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The forecast for mount ellen, vermont at 4,083 ft:
    Last updated at 322 pm est tue dec 27 2011

.tonight...summits obscured in clouds. Snow or rain until midnight...
    Then rain likely or a chance of snow after midnight. Low around 24.
    South winds 45 to 60 mph...becoming southwest and...decreasing to
    35 to 50 mph after midnight.
    .wednesday...summits in and out of clouds in the morning...then
    becoming cloudy. A chance of snow showers. High around 24.
    Temperatures falling to around 6 above in the afternoon. West winds
    30 to 40 mph. Wind chill values as low as 22 below.
    .wednesday night...wind chill values as low as 25 below.
    .thursday...

Detailed temperature & wind data:

Date wed 12/28/11 thu 12/29/11
    time (est) 19 22 01 04 07 10 13 16 19 22 01 04 07 10 13 16 19
    temp (f) 31 36 37 29 25 19 12 7 4 2 0 2 0 4 7 11 16
    wind dir s se sw sw w w w w nw nw nw nw nw w w w sw
    wind spd (mph) 26 51 39 34 26 21 25 27 33 33 35 36 29 28 21 19 24
    wind chl (f) 17 20 23 13 9 2 -8-16-21-24-28-25-26-20-14 -7 -2

35 degrees and raining at 1500' now.

10:20 .... Pouring 36 Degrees

Up to 38 now. Rain has let up though. Hopefully we see something decent on the back end of this.

Yup, didn't hear r*#n on my window after I went to bed. Woke up at 7am and the temp was 36 and it started snowing again. Right now it is snowing pretty hard and the ground is white again. Head out and will get back with a report later. Gonna keep trying the optimistic thing.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn
    Hawk,

Jonesing for a ski report. Playing the role of new dad, won't be making turns too soon. Please let me know the skiing sucks and i'm not missing anything. OK, any skiing is always great and I'm totally missing it. Hopefully I can be up in a few weekends to crank some top to bottom over and over and finish the day with you and friends in the pub. Let it snow! Let it Snow! Let it Fricken Snow!!!!

Brewski
    aka very tired new dad!

Absolutely dumping at the base of LP and composite radar shows deep banding in a classic upslope signature with possible enhancement from Lake Champlain. Perfect wind direction and set up for the SB/MRG area. Whatever the forecast is, I'll take the over, and then some.

Dude, that upslope - champlain fed - conveyor belt is looking sweet. I'm so pump. My weekend ahead may be decent after all. Sure looks alot better now than it did 12 hrs ago anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman View Post
    Absolutely dumping at the base of LP and composite radar shows deep banding in a classic upslope signature with possible enhancement from Lake Champlain. Perfect wind direction and set up for the SB/MRG area. Whatever the forecast is, I'll take the over, and then some.
    Ha ha. I was just saying to Boze, that NWS always underestimates the upslope.

It is still coming down hard. Let it rock.

It's still just dumping down on the Valley floor. RT 100 snow covered, despite hearing the plow go by about 20 mins ago.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Skiing today was a very pleasant surprise! Went with low expectations and we had a great time. Still a little scratchy in areas but overall was very nice. Tomorrow should be even better still!

I cleared the deck, took a walk for about 45 minutes and returned to another inch.

OK people. I thought the optimistic thing wasn't gonna work. Boy was I wrong. This is how it wnet today.
    Hit the mountain at 10 thinking "it could be OK maybe". It was snowing pretty good since 8ish. There was about 2 to 3 inches at that time and things were skiing pretty good. Jester, Deathspout and lower organgrinder were good on the edges but upper organgrinder was still challenging. By noon it was just dumping and things got continuously better. Even the edges of Upper organgrinder were good. By 2 there was about 8 to maybe 10 inches I would say. It became a complete poach fest. Spills, ripcord, Domino and other low angle favors were all skied heavily. When I left castlerock at 4:30 people were coming in and saying that tracks in places were being filled in. Right now as I type it is still snowing really hard. Tomorrows going to be good. Oh and did I just hear that there is going to be another storm on Friday?????

I was stunned at how much more snow is at the top of Ctr. Fayston Rd than was in the Valley. You guys are going to ski yourselves silly tomorrow...
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce