Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: earned turns

earned turns

anywhere/anytime i can skin up without getting in/causing too much trouble? do i need to wait for the natural stuff and go over to mrg? if i hit Mt Ellen before hours i imagine i'd still be getting in the way of groomers. don't want to cause any problems but Up is my fun and down is a way of getting down fast so I can go up again

Sorry, the closest options for ski touring are Killington and Mad River Glen. Groomers and snowmakers need access to the trails and it's dangerous to have uphill skier traffic at the same time as any maintenance that might be occurring. Sugarbush has always been very clear about this. There are also a variety of preseason obstacles such from water bars to snowmaking hoses that could bisect any trail, and these obstacles could potentially trip you up causing injury to yourself or to the hoses themselves. If anyone on this message board was also to find out that you cut a hose with a sharp ski edge resulting in a delay of further trail openings, Sugarbush couldn't be responsible for the angry mob that showed up at your house demanding blood/justice. Violators will be kindly asked to move along, but there is also a third option regarding a mountain visible from the MRV in New Hampshire that has plenty of vertical and a generous uphill traffic policy.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, may ullr have mercy on our mountains.

Official policy is found here:
    http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails...ail-use-policy

Hiking or “skinning” on designated trails is only permitted when specifically authorized by the Resort. Unauthorized uphill access inside or outside of operating hours is prohibited.

No worries, that is why i am asking.

I would say ignore the policy and be descreet. Stay away from people when possible. Do not assult the mountian from the parking lot and go right by the lodge. Be creative. Be smart. They have to say that it is not allowed, and yet, people do it all the time. The people in the know. Personnaly I hate the rule but I am not really a "Rules" person. Rules are made by people that think they know better. But I have found that it is usually just conservative Mumbo-Jumbo. If it was really that big a deal then MRG and Stowe wouldn't allow it. Once again just my opinion.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Go up slidebrook from GF road. No traffic, groomed,, lots of good options to ski down. Going to need some snow first though.

I can not understand how Stowe can formally put this out as a statement and Sugarbush can't allow it at their mountain. Can someone of any official capacity at Sugarbush please explain this to me????? Please?

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_repo...871e3ce6c.html

perhaps because they are owned by one of the biggest insurance companies!!! but who knows.

I know but you would think that would work against this policy at Stowe. No?

perhaps, but since they got all those risk managers got make the statements. They did not say that they permit it, just that if you do do it heres how to be safe. which is a catch cause ur admitting that it exists so you know its happening so prevent it. but since it is too big an area to police heres how to be safe. Its all those Howie's faults. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
    anywhere/anytime i can skin up without getting in/causing too much trouble? do i need to wait for the natural stuff and go over to mrg? if i hit Mt Ellen before hours i imagine i'd still be getting in the way of groomers. don't want to cause any problems but Up is my fun and down is a way of getting down fast so I can go up again
    I have not looked into but I wonder if the mountain can prohibit you from skinning up on national forest land. Now, SV owns land at Mt. Ellen but I think that if you enter from national forest land and remain on national forest land then you can do as you please. To be sure, you would need to see the lease agreement with the US National Forest Service and see if it allows public access or allows the mountain to prevent it. You could probably ask at the local National Forest office.

Either way, be careful and respect the property rights of individual land owners.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski View Post
    perhaps, but since they got all those risk managers got make the statements. They did not say that they permit it, just that if you do do it heres how to be safe. which is a catch cause ur admitting that it exists so you know its happening so prevent it. but since it is too big an area to police heres how to be safe. Its all those Howie's faults. LMAO
    Blame it on the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Blame it on the lawyers.
    Ya Man! Dam Lawyers. That's what Ben was saying to me last weekend.

BTW Howie. Where have you been skiing? We were all wondering last weekend.

I did!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Ya Man! Dam Lawyers. That's what Ben was saying to me last weekend.

BTW Howie. Where have you been skiing? We were all wondering last weekend.
    me skiing?
    I'm around. couple runs in the trees, cool off on a groomer. the usual. thinking this weekend might be strictly groomers but I thought that for last weekend.